Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Alien Competition Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 07:21
I'm new to the forums, so go easy on me!

Here is a link to some screenshots of the game I hope to enter into the competition. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/btgaming/RedPlanet.htm
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 10:26
good!
Need to see other objects on the screen, like some enemies, animals lurking on the ground, clouds, ecc.
good work.

Free Download for a Free World
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 18:41
Let me include the main link to the site, so you can read a little more about the other project I've worked on in the past year.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/btgaming/index.html

Ermes, the other objects on the screen are on their way. I've almost completed what I call the shell of the program, simple animation of the alien and naviagating between the outer world and inside of the temples. Once that is done and running to my satisfaction, the "bad guys" will be next.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 21:44
my advice:concentrate on the game and take care of the site when the game is done...

-john D.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 20:14
well, just made it in time.

Engine of my game is already 100%, i've all enemies working, intro screen working, game scheme working, 2 levels complete,3 weapons fully working, and i'm thinking i'm in late with works!!

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 21:40
Ermes you're an ace it seems, but my post was aimed at the other guy dunno if you thought something there?If not then please ignore

-john D.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 01:02 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 01:03
not bad the level look good, it can do with some work on the HUD like a life bar or a bullet counter.

but good work

--Dr 0--
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 07:16
Just an update here. I have posted the VB Pac Man page to the website, if anyone is even interested in that. Save the Red Planet is in the middle of a conversion from DB Pro trial version to DB Classic, full version. It's going well, just have to find a substitute for a few commands. No new screen shots of it just yet. I hope to have a mostly playable version by the end of the month.

[href]http://www.angelfire.com/games5/btgaming/index.html[href]
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 22:07
waps sorry to hurt someone, it's not my intention.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2003 02:51
I just started mine yesterday, was caught up in a different game.

wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/alien1.jpg

it is just a screenshot of him casting a spell, but it is pretty cool for one day of work. It will be an ancient mediavel sort of adventure/rpg game.

Xander - Bolt Software

It doesn't matter if it is confusing, as long as it works
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
mine is coming soon it's called operation grot-nok but i am still getting to grips with dbpro as i have coded with dbc for 2 years now

I find your lack of faith.. distrubing - DARTH VADER

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 14:34
@TheSquid

No biggy, but i find that it a bit tooooo much red.
Sorry to bitch. But i think i would go nuts after a while.

Look. MiniMe -->
Current Project: "Jelly Wars : Episode 2" entry for alienware compo
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 17:48
Thanks for the input Mr_Flibble. I didn't think the red was all that bad. Anyone else with some input on this one? I don't want to give the judges a migrane you know?
EgoAnt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 00:27
I don't think the red will be bad as long as there are other things to look at. A good terrain and and a few decent enemies would push that right into the background.
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 14:56
Congrats on having your game featured in this months newsletter!

Robin

http://www.thegameszone.tk
robin@thegameszone.tk
-It's not a bug it's a 'feature'
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 15:12
Thanks!
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 05:38
Update! I have added new screenshots as well as a demo version of the game to the website. I'm calling it version 0.1, so there is still a long way to go.

IF you're interested, visit:

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/btgaming/index.html and follow the Save the Red Planet links.

I welcome any feedback!!
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 15:15
sorry can't give you feedback if program is not working :/
runtime error 10

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 15:13
That doesn't make sense... I created and tested the .exe before uploading it. Let me see what's going on. Any more meaningful error message by chance?
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 15:27
i haven't downloaded it yet, but i know on some of the demos i downloaded from TGC i had the same problem. I figured out what was going on tho...

the files were zip files.

on the extract dialog window, i didn't have the "use folder names" box checked. this keeps the directory structure intact of the original instead of lumping all the files into one directory (if the zipper uses sub-directories).

checking that box might help.

cheers

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 15:40
oh well!!

i got a runtime error 10 too!

guess my idea was wrong!

does the program have to be installed to a particular directory?

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 16:57
It shouldn't, I created it as a standalone .exe, since installation .exe files are against the rules. I'll try to create it again tonight and I'll upload an unzipped version.
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 16:32
I figured out the problem. I didn't create the "Final" exe, so the media files didn't copy over with the exe. The new zipped version is almost 7 meg, and I won't get around to uploading it until later in the week. That means that you shouldn't bother trying to download until further notice.

Sorry for all of the confusion.
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 05:12
Hey everyone, sorry it took so long, but I've finally got a working demo version uploaded to my website. Here is the website again.

orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 14:57 Edited at: 20th Nov 2003 14:59
for easy access for lazy people like myself:

--edit

don't have time to download now... will later (got to go to work)!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 15:05
Well, it downloaded ok, loaded ok, but does nothing except for alien standing still on a red matrix and green bar across bottom of screen.

Mouse and keys do nothing. Please don't say it's joystick only.

Game has not hung as I can 'Escape' back to windows with no problem.

Boo!
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 15:23
For movement and gameplay purposes, it is currently joystick only. I've been too lazy to put keyboard and mouse support into the gameplay as of yet. Been working on the other aspects of the game at this point. Not to worry, it will be in the final version.

The current demo posted has these known bugs:

1) Yellow aliens sometimes stop moving entirely
2) Can not enter any of the temples correctly - some don't work at all, others crash the game. Reason being is that most temples have not yet been designed.
3) Gray alien hit detection is a little fishy
4) Camera is kind of jerky when firing

I am open to suggestion even on these bugs, but don't feel compelled to report these problems. If you can improve upon them, I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks for your time.
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 02:22
Ok, I have posted more screenshots to show some progress, and to persuade some people into downloading (hint hint hint).

I got the feeling that people were turned off by the game being joystick only, so I put in keyboard support. Move with the arrow keys and fire with the space bar.

Have fun and let me know what you think and where I need to make some changes. Your feedback is appreciated!!!

Here is the link again:

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 10:31
the problem is; giving feedback is hard when only a few people with joysticks can play it, surely keyboard and mouse supports should have been in first?

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 03:55
Wahay, I can now move. Trouble is all I see is an alien guy running around a completely flat matrix shooting at nothing! No hillss, no buildings, no baddies.

All I found was a ufo at one of the corners.

Please give me a clue as to what to do!!!!

Boo!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 20:10 Edited at: 24th Nov 2003 15:02
as spooky says, there is nothing going on in this game, just a matrix to run around on, a UFO in the corner. Perhaps you posted the wrong file? The joystick seemed too sensitive. I would try to make a square in the middle a neutral area where if the joystick is anywhere in that middle area there will be no movement. (I hope I am getting across what I'm trying to say.... I think you should only start moving forward after you presses the joystick a little farther forward, backward when the joystick is farther backward, etc.)
the alien seemed too turn too quickly, it might be partly what i mentioned above, or maybe it's my computer speed.

best regards,
orv

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 02:39
yeah I was wondering about that too- in your screenshots there are some hills, buildings, etc. but the one i downloaded didn't have anything but a ufo in the corner.
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 15:44
I'll have to check into this. When I checked the directory before creating the .exe file and everything I needed was there. I even thought I checked the .exe itself, but I guess not.

As far as the joystick sensitivity, I only have a gamepad, so I didn't put in anything to check for how far the joystick was moved.

I'll try to make another .exe file tonight and get it uploaded. Thank you all for your patience! In case you haven't figured it out yet, this is my first Dark Basic game, so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll post again once a "working" file is finally uploaded.
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 15:39
I think I've figured out the problem. I am reading in .txt files and loading them into arrays to set up my environments. When I created the .exe, it must not have copied in the .txt files. The media files all copied in, as proven by the spaceship and aliens appearing and the matrix being properly textured.

If creating the standalone .exe file will not include .txt files, then this simply isn't going to work. I'll post a question in the DBC forum, but it seems as though I already know the answer.

If the .exe doesn't include .txt files, I am going to have to withdraw from the competition. My entire game is based off of these .txt files.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 15:46
Just include the text files in the zip.

Your game can consist of loads of files like the main exe, maybe some text files, maybe some html help files, e.t.c.

Just zip up whole folder and upload that.

Boo!
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 16:07
Is that within the rules? I was under the impression that only a .exe file would be accepted.

Quote: "Rule 6: Your game must execute immediately. Do not use an "installer" package in any way shape or form."
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 16:27
Of course it is allowed. Almost every db game has files outside the .exe

What TGC are saying is that the zip file must simply extract and there must be an exe in that folder that runs the game. They dont want any installer type games that run a setup program that then installs into program files, creates start menu options,etc.

Ideally have just the .exe in main folder and extra files in a subdirectory. Most people can then unzip to desktop, open created folder and immediately see youe .exe without having to find it amongst all your text files.

Boo!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 04:28
please upload a fixed version of your game.... that way we can give you some usefull feedback!
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 01:37
Ok, I've uploaded the .txt files needed for the game. You can download them all as a zip file from my website. Just unzip the file in the same directory as my .exe. Sorry, but I was too lazy to create a new zip with both the .exe and .txt files, that would have taken forever to upload. I'll have a high speed connection one day....
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 01:51
Yeah, now works! I can't get anywhere though as the big aliens kill me too quickly!

Boo!
TheSquid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 05:50
Did you know that you can fire with space bar? I had been of the opinion that the gray aliens were too easy and the yellow ones might be a bit too hard.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:37:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:37:42