Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Third Person with dgdk.net

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hy out there

i'm working on a space shooter with 3rd person view
but nothing seems to work.
i searched the whole forum but nothing really helps.

Has anyone an idea out there??

greetz and please excuse my english

Sebi
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 16:09
Well, if you just want a hard 3rd person cam, make sure you have your player model setup. Set the camera at the head limb, or roughly there anyways using dbPositionCamera. Then use dbRotateCamera, or dbPointCamera to point the cam to where the player/model is looking. After that, all you gotta do is dbMoveCamera(-camdistance). This all needs done in your main loop somewhere. I use DBP mainly but I believe all the commands I mentioned are available in GDK. Hope this helps.
lanks
Years of Service
User Offline
ae cara eu tenho um tutorial sobre game 3d em terceira pessoa espero que ajude vc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5InDqnIpPY
darxus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2010 02:30
I want also to have a look into a 3rd person camera, for a new 3D game I want to make. Probably I will try to develop it this weekend (at least I hope I will do so).

In any case, I like exploring the DarkDGK.NET api by myself because it's easy and very simple to use. This is what I want to make, I have attached an image in order to understand the following texts better.

In Solution 1 camera is a child of the player (Player is the parent of the camera), so when the player moves or rotates so does the camera as a child respectively. This is very simple to setup. The only problem is that the camera will be very stiff, like it's glued to the target. In some occasions it could be great (for helmet cams, or hood cams in racing games) but most games have a smooth and slow camera.

Solution 2
Same as before, but instead of a camera we set a pivot as a child to the player. OK, now all we have to do is to set the camera to the same position as the pivot and have it always target the player. But there's a catch here, we do not want to immediately set the position at once (because it will have the same effect as the Solution 1). We can interpolate the distance of these two objects and have the camera following a smooth path (there's a cool interpolation algorithm somewhere but I can't find now, I will look into it later).

That's all for now, I hope that helps.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 21:41
Couldn't you just use the Set Camera to Follow command? Not sure how differnt the commands between the .NET version and DBP/GDK are but that sounds like what you want.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:11:30
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:11:30