Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Leapfrog - Peg Solitaire style game

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 17:13 Edited at: 28th Oct 2010 17:10
This is a game of peg solitaire I'm part way through making. Pretty simple really but I'm going to jazz it up quite a bit. I just finished the engine and some initial graphics...

DEMO! updated 28th October 2010!

Have a play and let me know what you think!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 17:13
Screenshot...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 17:27
Forgot to say...

KEYS:
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT - Move or choose direction to 'leap'
Return - Select ball

I'm not showing the solutions yet so you might have to look them up online for now! There'll be a diagram on the finished game...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 17:39 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2010 19:49
-

Chill dude... it's not like I was asking to lock your thread or anything. - I just see a lot more WIPs than PAs.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 18:03 Edited at: 26th Oct 2010 10:54
Quote: "-

Chill dude... it's not like I was asking to lock your thread or anything. - I just see a lot more WIPs than PAs.
"

I'm just glad you decided to remove your comments. Thanks for that...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 18:09 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2010 19:47
-

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 18:37 Edited at: 26th Oct 2010 10:54
-

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 20:01
I had a go at the this, but I was expecting it to be mouse controlled. So that's a design flaw in my opinion (most people wanting to play a casual game these days don't look to use the arrowkeys to do it)

Once I started using the arrowkeys I found it would need some kind of a repeat-key thing. The same way a text field does in a simple GUI (when the key is pressed it will only perform an action once, but when held for more than a certain amount of time it will repeat the action).

Quote: ""Hey, this persons, done a lot of work on this game and I can see that there serious about wanting to finish it, I'll give them some encouragement and let them know how good they're doing.""
- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=37738&b=8

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 20:48
Thanks for the feedback. I think adding mouse control is a good idea (one I hadn't thought of yet), as is the repeat-key thing.

I really must check out how your projects are progressing, there's nothing wrong with a little constructive critisism (glad to see you took my advise with good humour)

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2010 12:13
Pretty cool! I agree with Cowbox about mouse control though, that could make it play a lot nicer

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 12:19 Edited at: 28th Oct 2010 17:11
Mouse control added

New Demo updated again with additions mentioned below!

KEYS:
MOUSE-select and move ball
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/ENTER-select and move ball
W-change wallpaper
S-change ball style
B-change board

EDIT: I've added some styles to choose from. You can edit the 'Ball' style, background colour and 'Board'... also added the solution diagrams. Oh, and now when you pick a ball it sticks to the mouse also

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 18:56 Edited at: 25th Oct 2010 18:57
Added animated background:

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 07:48
Is there a problem here guys? Baxlash posted a legitimate WIP so knock it off. Don't make me take this belt off...

The game looks very cool, I remember playing it when I was a kid. Isn't it also called chinese checkers or was that something different entirely?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 11:01
Quote: "Is there a problem here guys? Baxlash posted a legitimate WIP so knock it off. Don't make me take this belt off..."

All sorted now. Some people just have different ideas about what constitutes a legitimate WIP...

Quote: "The game looks very cool, I remember playing it when I was a kid. Isn't it also called chinese checkers or was that something different entirely?"

I believe it's just called "Peg Solitaire" as traditionally it was played using pegs in a wooden board, Chinese Checkers/Chequers is slightly different (and more complicated) although it might constitute a good future development!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2010 16:48 Edited at: 28th Oct 2010 17:12
I've just finished this game! The full game has already been submitted to AppUp for validation

The demo below is a full version of the game but with only one of the seven puzzles to solve.

DEMO!

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 05:24
Hey, liking the new version a lot. Although I hate the game concept itself, you've made it playable and fun (somehow) !

However, as a player, I have some suggestions:
1. I made a move at one point and realised it was a pretty silly thing to do so I started looking for an undo button. - I didn't see one.
2. I then saw the timer at the top (while looking for an undo button) this probably mean's its not visible enough for players to notice straight out.
(If you're thinking an undo button can mess with the timer, just make it so it resets the timer to the time the last move was ended.)
3. When I reached the point where I failed (I can't ever win at peg solitaire so I can't test that for you) I wanted to know how many pegs I had left, but I couldn't see because it cuts to the "You're stuck" page too quickly .
4. Not a major problem but possibly something to watch out for in future projects: When I got the "You're stuck" screen, I read it straight away as "You suck". Now, while this was entertaining, I'm sure it's not the message you want to give to players (even accidentally) heh, so yeah, it's fine, just watch out for wording.

Some of these pointers are just for polish now if you really wanna make it user-friendly:
5. When I tried the help screen, I kinda expected it to be toggled on H, rather than having to hold a key while reading. :S
6. The 3 keys to change the styles seem somewhat improfessional (reminded me of the days before I learnt to make proper menus in DBP apps - everything was, Press 1 to play, 2 for help, 3 to quit at any time xD)
I think in substitution some kind of screen off the main menu to change the themes would be better. - Either that to be really slick, have it so you can just scroll through some preset themes with the mousewheel (although I'm not sure how well that'll work for touch pads)
7. Some of the text is a bit misleading on the various menus:
"<Quit" on the game-choosing menu should surely be "<Back", the game doesn't actually close when you press it, it takes you back a menu.
"Quit y/n" takes you back to the main menu, where you then have to click quit again xD (This should also be something like "Return to main menu y/n?")

But yeah, if you think that's all a bit picky; it's just game crit. - I still like it, 't just needs some polishing up.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 17:35
Thanks for the pointers C0wbox, all valid I think although some will have to wait as I'm finishing a few projects off at once!

1-Undo button is a possible idea
2-I think the timer is visible enough personally but maybe I'll make it stand out a little more
3-Maybe I should paste the You're Stuck image over the unsinished board
4-Sounds like you have an inferiority complex
5-Toggle help is a good idea I'll impliment this
6-I don't really see how I could use the scroll button for the reason you stated but I could have a 'style menu' for sure
7-I agree these changes would be a good improvement.

Picky is good, thanks for the feedback!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 17:51
@ baxslash
To clarify:
2. I think when I looked at it closer I noticed the white outline is significantly thinner than the other words ingame.
4. Of course I do. !
6. What I meant was, you personally decide on some backgrounds wallpapers and styles that go well together and have it so the player can scroll through them, rather than choosing each individual detail. (Or have both; have a style menu where the player can choose the style manually if they want to)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 19:52
I don't think the timer is significantly different but you clearly do so as I said I will look at making it more obvious.

I like the idea of scrolling through some pre-defined styles. I guess I just personally like a lot of customisation options in a game, and I certainly agree about the current 'key for this' 'key for that' setup being rather clunky and un-professional.

I'll have a think and come up with something more natural.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 23:42
Leapfrog just passed validation for the AppUp store!!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 01:06
So I should think.

It plays as I'd expect a commercial game to.

Any updates though? - Regarding the tweaks I suggested?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 10:39
Quote: "So I should think.

It plays as I'd expect a commercial game to.

Any updates though? - Regarding the tweaks I suggested? "

Thanks C0wbox, yes I'd already put it in for validation so it'll be an update in the near future

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2010 22:52 Edited at: 28th Nov 2010 22:53
Quote: "I just see a lot more WIPs than PAs"

Good ol' C0wbox! Long time no see huh?

Nice game, but I think you should pay attention to the copyrighted kid's software called "Leapfrog" (http://www.leapfrog.com/tag/) and consider changing the name of the game.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 08:25
I'm not worried as it's a reading system not a peg-solitaire game. Besides, peg solitaire is known as leapfrog too and was known as such at least 5 years before the leapfrog reading system was invented...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 18:16
Yeah naming issues aren't a problem as long as the product being named isn't the same or similar.

You can potentially call something Coke or Call of Duty as long as it isn't a drink or a game as far as I'm aware.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:13
Yeah, my second son is called "Ben Ten" and I haven't heard from cartoon network yet...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:51:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:51:04