Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / i need help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2010 23:55
how can i show or post a Final Exe of a dbc game i created?
i tried uploading the file but it isnt working

I'll make Halo look like poke'mon!
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 01:41
We're gonna need more info than that to help you. Where did you try to upload from and where did you try to upload to?

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5

DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 01:48
where you post and it says "attachment" but im looking for anyway period to upload my game to this site for you guys to look at

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
How big is your program? You can only upload a max of 50 megs. It would probably be advisable to compress the file into a .zip format and attach it as well.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 02:56
158 lol how do i compress?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Newer versions of windows (vista and 7 as far as I know) can do it natively. Just right click, choose "Create New" and select "Compressed (zip) folder". Then move your files into this folder.

If you have an older version of windows that doesn't have that option, you will need a program to do it for you. WinZIP works, though as I understand it it costs. I believe 7Zip is a free alternative.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 04:46
even compressed its still 100MB

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Then you will need to upload it to a file hosting site and provide a download link. I use fileden.com but there are a few out there.

Great Quote:
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 20:41
The one I use is www.mediafire.com. A really nice and easy to use site, and supports files up to 100 MB

Just curious, why is your game 100 MB? That is huge... Have you got lots of images? Lots of music? Lots of objects?

TheComet

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 23:51
How the hell did you manage to fill up 158MB???
Your game looks pretty low poly and there only seem to be about 4 textures and a few other images. What is taking up all that space?

Do oranges know what colour they are?
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 23:36
lol it happened to be unused images and models and 1 song never used in my game that took up more then 100Mb of space so now my games only 43Mb but it still having trouble posting

DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 00:07
i posted my game into mediafire.com its named carbonade z-day
if you actually find it and get it to work please remember i had like 15 hours to make it: a 1 hour class 5 days for three weeks

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 00:32
Its easier if you just post the link to it here

Oh and i usually add lots of media to my project, but i stopped doing that so now i only add media to my game that i know will be used. Its a good thing to do. Make sure that all files in your game have a job to do and wont just be there screwing around

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5

DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 01:23
http://www.mediafire.com/?5jk91s79goipuka

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 11:32 Edited at: 5th Nov 2010 11:33
And just a tip for future posting of links, everyone on this forum (including me) is lazy, and they don't want to copy the link and paste it into a new tab. You will get about 40% more people clicking your link if you highlight it and click the "link" button on the top:

Yeah my awesome project

TheComet

DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 13:39
oh nice thank you

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
it might be due to .wav files.

Music files are huge to store, thats why almost every format is compressed. Wav files aren't. (I just looked it up, apparently .wav files can hold compressed data, but they are mostly uncompressed)

definitely use mp3s.

Out of curiosity whats the largest file in your project and whats its size?

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@DarkComplicated

Quote: "lol it happened to be unused images and models and 1 song never used in my game that took up more then 100Mb of space so now my games only 43Mb but it still having trouble posting"

Be aware that when you create a final exe, that everything in the directory is going to be compiled into that exe whether it's used or not. That includes things like text files, word documents, junk, previously made exes with different names, even the .tmp file that may be made when using DarkEdit to code your source - everything!

A good practice might be to make sure the directory is absolutely clean of everything except what you need for the game. Then, to avoid compiling anything extra (like the tmp file), use the command line to create the exe from the source:

Enjoy your day.
DarkComplicated wtf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 22:19
i think my the most space is bein taken up by the sound effects lol and models ifi thhey take up alot im not sure but yah everything is working fine now that i got rid of extras but somewhere in my thread is th link to my gamee if you wanna take a look

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 01:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 01:33:34