Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / [STICKY] DBP HELP FILES

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 21:20 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 21:32
This is keywordfile and index.htm
of helpfile.
ver.1066b

Download this

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
LIMB VISIBLE

This command will return a one if the specified 3D object exists, otherwise zero will be returned. The parameters should be specified using integer values.

"

I think, This manual content is wrong.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
RND

This command will return a random number between 0 and the range provided. The integer range will be the highest number you want returned. The return value will be an integer number.

Syntax
Return Float=RND(Range Value)
"

integer number or Return Float , Which is a mistake?
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 10:05
There's a bug in the BlueGUI help files - It is missing a parameter for "create submenu".

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 00:09
i would just like to tell richardneail how much i appreciate his effort...this is a very big project and i understand about having to work and take care of the wife and kids [wives don't really understand why you want to program and things like that]...anyway thanks a lot for taking on this project....pirate

thanks, pirate
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 00:45
Why is this thread still here?

We all know an updated Help file system has been promised several times - but is in reality only updated a bit at a time. However this thread seems to play no role in that process and is in fact several years out of date.

Perhaps unsticky it? Or is it there as a permanent reminder of a job still to be done?
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline

OBJECT FRAME

This command will return a real value of the current animation frame of the specified 3D object. Animation frames are counted by keyframe represented as whole numbers, but the animation can be anywhere between two keyframes which is why the frame is returned using a real value. The parameter should be specified using an integer value.

Syntax
Return Integer=OBJECT FRAME(Object Number)

"

real value or Return Integer , Which is a mistake?
skm
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no DB help file with the #include command, and I dunno how 2 use it :^(
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
-----------------------
Congratulations on U70
for New Help file
-----------------------
Peter Pan
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anychance of a chm help file rather than the html version??

Cos it is!!
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Found a small glitch with the new help system

Dark Basic Professional\Help\principals\2 operators.htm

At the end it explains BITWISE LEFT SHIFT and BITWISE RIGHT SHIFT. The symbols are << and >> which do not appear properly in HTML. I had to look at the htm file source to see what they were.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 12:22 Edited at: 5th Jan 2009 12:23
Quote: "At the end it explains BITWISE LEFT SHIFT and BITWISE RIGHT SHIFT. The symbols are << and >> which do not appear properly in HTML."

Strange. On my machine the right shift appears OK, but left shift doesn't. Either way, something is wrong. See attached image.

Attachments

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 17:55
set object command -
Quote: "Transparent
Integer
When the transparency flag is set to 0, all parts of the object colored black are not drawn to the
screen "

with my grpahics card the parameter to not draw black is 1 on the set object command. the help system reads as above and unless this is speciffic to nividia graphics cards it should be corrected to say 1 in place of 0 as this can be tested by texturing an object with a texture that is mostly black like a plain for example and then setting the backdrop to a different color.

gamerboots~
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
U71 helpfile bug

helpfile
missing command.
TEXTURE SCREEN :
SET SCREEN EFFECT :
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpfile
MOUSEZ()
120 step???
negative value ???
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file
\principals\2 operators.htm
RELATIONAL OPERATORS

10 <> 9 results in 1 because 10 is not the same as 9
10 <> 10 results in 0 because 10 is the same as 10
add this.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file

Return String=GET ARRAY TYPE(Array Name(0))
this command not string return!
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file
WRITE MEMBLOCK FLOAT
MEMBLOCK FLOAT
float is -2147483648 to 2147483648 ???
FLOAT Range (4byte): 3.4E +/- 38 (7 digits)
and exsample code.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpfile
MEMBLOCK DWORD
WRITE MEMBLOCK DWORD

DWord 0 and 2147483648 ???
DWORD Range (4byte): 0 to 4,294,967,295
and exsample code.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file
READ LONG
WRITE LONG
not integer!
this is DWORD.
DWORD Range (4byte): 0 to 4,294,967,295
bad Example Code
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpfile
Memblock Number
Integer
The memblock number
memblockNumber is integer??? not work.

MAKE MEMBLOCK 2147483647 , 1024
this is err.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpfile
RESTORE
DataLabel is not integer.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file
DATA TYPE RANGES
doubleflote do not work,
add this
double flote - unfinished.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
help file
LIMB NAME$ Example Code, don't work.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
command naming

good: LIMB NAME$ is name$.
bad: LIMB TEXTURE NAME
good: LIMB TEXTURE NAME$
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
command naming

bad:READ FILEMAP STRING
good:READ FILEMAP STRING$

bad:HTTP REQUEST DATA
good:HTTP REQUEST DATA$
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
command naming

this command is return integer.
Return Integer=COMPARE CASE$(string A, string B).
bad:COMPARE CASE$()
good:COMPARE CASE()

bad:FIND FIRST CHAR$()
good:FIND FIRST CHAR()

bad:FIND LAST CHAR$()
good:FIND LAST CHAR()
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 23:10
@ richardneal,

See this bug report link:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=155930&b=15

basically the data file commands are missing from the help.chm for the Enhancements pack...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
JavierTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2010 04:06
Hi

The THEN command is not in the help files.

Thanks
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 14:51 Edited at: 20th Aug 2010 14:53
[U75]help file
LOAD MUSIC command

music number is 1 to 32.

Attachments

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 10:04
Oh my, these DarkBASIC Professional help files are such a mess, considering that most of us all have downloaded add-ons etc. Folders & HTML everywhere, add-on packs with out command index's and broken examples, different formats and CHM files!

Why would anyone want to read a CHM file over using their favourite browser?!

I've finally decided to invest a couple of hours in at least combining all the index help files that I could find into one huge index file, so now I can do a "Ctrl F" and find a lot more than I could before.

But still, for the add-ons that didn't come with an index, or the ones that are locked away in a CHM file, I simply don't know what to do.

Is there an online help site for DarkBASIC Professional, along with all of its expansions?
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 01:28 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2011 17:07
Quote: "Is there an online help site for DarkBASIC Professional, along with all of its expansions?"

At one time I was prepared to make one , but no one seemed interested in helping out and therefore I dropped the idea as doing a complete webiste on this without help simply would not work.
--edit----
I am still willing to donate to this cause in the form of a forum where anyone who wants can help out so anyone interested in actually doing something like this is welcome to send me an email.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 22:31 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2011 01:03
It's obviously such a big task to re-write a help file, one that appears to be attempted a few times over the past 8 years.

A team effort would definitely be required, along with a common layout, or goal that is agreed on by all.

Personally, my use of the DBpro help file usually involves the use of the index & Ctrl F, then search various words that will hopefully find the commands to deal with my current road block.

I've realised though that this was extremely limiting, as I've actually got a dozen add-on packs for DBpro, each having their own help system! So, I've done a nasty cut and paste of all the index HTML files and put them all into the one, but unfortunately this doesn't work for the help files encoded into CHM files.

As far as I can tell, the following add-ons don't have a HTML file system:

*EZRotate
*Dark Shader
*DarkAI
*Dark Lights
*Enhancements

Further to this, I've found help files, such as Enhancements to be missing commands altogether!

Another thing that's also needed would be further examples added, such as if you look at IanM's Matrix1 Utilities, the examples given are few and far between.

So it's a big job, but nothing that Google Docs couldn't handle.

EDIT: Ok, so I checked with Google, and they don't have a service that really caters for an online help system. So a quick check online brought me to developing the DarkBASIC online help here;

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com

It's early days yet, I've only spent this morning on it. But I think it'll work, and hopefully work well. It has a category system which seems to make life a lot easier.

For example, I've created a category called "Make Object", which then lists all the ways in DarkBASIC Professional, including Add-ons, on how to make an object.

From there, Make Object commands can be further detailed on their own page.

On top of this, Index pages can also be made. As a test, I've made 2 cut & paste indexes for DBPro and Matrix1 Utilities so far, which then link directly to the command page, and on the command page, it can link to the category page for alternate commands.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 01:50 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2011 02:06
Certainly a nice job. I've decided to go ahead and do a simular project only I'm going to put it in a forum though and work on a little everyday (who knows - someone might be interested in doing it that way)

Quote: "But still, for the add-ons that didn't come with an index, or the ones that are locked away in a CHM file, I simply don't know what to do "

what I did to get around this was to copy the executable from my XP system that opens up these files over to my win7 system. This will also work for those who uses vista.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 02:29 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2011 02:48
Forums have the inherent problem of being a closed system. Having a help file on an open system allows everyone to instantly log on and add or update content.

Forums also come and go. Once a forum is off line, all of that information is lost with it.

I've spent this morning testing this Wikia system, and although a tad slow, so long as users start adding content, I believe it may just prove to be a great resource.

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/DarkBASIC_Professional_Help_Wiki

Here's the main page.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 05:03
Quote: "so long as users start adding content, I believe it may just prove to be a great resource"

I honestly think that we both have great ideas on this as some users may prefer a wiki where others may prefer a forum so I'll have to say good luck to both of us and that I'll definately post a link to it.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 05:08 Edited at: 25th Jan 2011 05:15
I've been putting a lot of work into the Wikia pages lately. Here's a good example to show you just how powerful it is;

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Camera

All "Camera" commands and functions tie in with the category "Camera". So all you have to do is go to the category camera too review all of the available commands.

Very impressed with this Wikia system. Fingers crossed that this takes off and will solve these help file issues once and for all.

EDIT:

Another example of how more and more content is added, the linked categories grow in usefulness. Here we have the "DarkBASIC Professional" category;

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/CategoryarkBASIC_Professional

and the Matrix1 Utilities category;

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Matrix1_Utilities

All of this I've put together over the past few days. Currently, it's simply cut and paste, but it's only temporary whilst I get all commands uploaded, then it'll be a matter of reviewing and updating each one, adding examples etc.

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/DarkBASIC_Professional_Help_Wiki
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 05:48
Its definately nice Burning Feet Man. I see that its a more visusal system than what I had in mind but its very good.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 21:28 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 23:57
I found that the categorising system really won me over. Currently, all I've done is a few cut & pastes from the help files, but this is only a temporary measure until hopefully some users start using the site, adding their own examples etc.

If you'd prefer a more traditional wiki look, I think there's a theme option in your Wikia settings.

My plan is to create about 10 commands a day, so given 2000 commands, I know I can get this done over the next few months.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 13:05
well as you can see here mine is exactly as visual, but I think its well organized. if you would email all the various cmh files in a zip I could add them to it

----------------
Gamerboots~
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2011 06:13 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 23:55
Here is an example of how Tutorials will work within the Wikia system;;

http://dbprohelp.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tutorial:CSV

I'll be writing 3 over the weekend, using techniques that I've learnt from these forums. But by writing a tutorial inside a category, you can instantly see all of the commands that are key to the tutorial, read up on them more, or even find other tutorials that use those commands.

I think this will become a powerful help system if all goes to plan.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2011 21:31
Fellas, there WAS a wiki (sort of) online help file for DBPro some years back, maintained by JessT, to which various forum members contributed. It was up for about a year or two I think. I have a copy somewhere. I don't think I have the necessary program to read it and print it.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2011 23:04 Edited at: 29th Jan 2011 01:56
@burning feet
Quote: "if all goes to plan"

That does always seem to be the catcher with a lot of projects. I honestly hope it does good and works out well.
@Jeff
Interesting. So what actually happened to it? Are you saying its no longer available or available but no longer maintained ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 00:27
JessT (previously known as Jessticular), as I recall, was commended for making it, and made a Mod, but the TGC site itself could not accommodate it. He had some private/public or whatever site, but it died after a while. The link is long dead. There was some interest within TGC of a big revamp to the DBP help files thereafter, and John Y (author of the Synergy IDE) was going to be in charge of putting it together. I emailed him JessT's database, but then TGC decided to merely solicit comments and incorporate (most of) them into a revised help file in connection with update release 7.0 in late 2008.

I have an ".sql" file that JessT sent me just before the site died, which supposedly has the help files that were on the site. If you can work with such a file let me know and I'll email it to you. I don't know how to work it.

TGC is very good at programming, but help files are not their long suit. So much so that one of the most valuable Mods, IanM, who did a great deal of the work on release candidate 7.7, has started a thread in the AppGameKit board almost shaming TGK to get the act together for a suitable help file for the new AppGameKit product, and a wiki style is under discussion in that thread.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 01:51 Edited at: 29th Jan 2011 02:06
I can work with CHM or Sql files so feel free to email it to me (so long as its not too big a file )
Seeing that there are a lot of plug-ins this is bound to be an ongoing project (one whitch I would not mind help on)

----------------
Gamerboots~
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 13:07
gamer boots -
I emailed you the file. Bear in mind it predates some changes in DPPro code made through updates.

Many of the "missing" commands in the current help file are the result of failing to incorporate help files from previously sold plugins when the plugins eventually get incorporated into an update.In such cases sometimes a forum member will publish the separate help file. For example, here is a help file for the Advanced Terrain commands that Sixty Squares put together from that which was first "sold":

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=135172&b=1
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 14:01
received. Thanks I'll get to work on it right away.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 12:00 Edited at: 30th Jan 2011 12:21
Wasn't there another DBPro Wiki set up within the last 3 years or so? Is that still around? Perhaps it was something different?

Edit There are several. The following looks official. Why don't people use that instead of re-inventing the wheel?

TGC Wiki

It took a brief Forum search to find that.

Have I missed something?
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 05:47 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 23:54
Thanks Green Gandalf. In looking at the official DBPro wiki, it sure does appear empty!

DarkBasic Help Wikia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:17:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:17:12