Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Will compile but won't run using win 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 07:24 Edited at: 12th Nov 2010 07:39
ahhhh dang double post bug got me
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 07:38 Edited at: 12th Nov 2010 07:40
I am having trouble getting code to run on win 7. It will tell me that it will compile correctly but will not run when using the "compile and run" option. When I try to compile only, it will tell me "complete". I then try to run the executable and it gives an "incorrect parameter error". I have tried to change compatibility options, I have given exceptions to AVG. I have turned off DEP, I have tried diff resolutions and graphics modes in DBP. Nothing works. Any other ideas?

I also tried codesurge and have the exact same problem. Is it a compiler issue?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 18:49 Edited at: 12th Nov 2010 18:57
Your code runs here - although probably not as you'd expect.

I suggest getting the bugs out of your code first. Also, did you check the Windows 7 compatibility thread?

Here's a screenshot showing the problems I encountered on my XP laptop:

The first problem I encountered was a plain white screen with no text - I pressed a key and hoped for the best. The above is the result.

Edit You might find it helpful to change your first few lines to this:

I'll leave you to sort the other bugs out. Unfortunately I can't test your code on W7. Perhaps someone else can?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 00:19
ya I have tried all win 7 work-a-rounds. Problem is, when I choose to compile and run, it will compile but it won't run so I can't test the code. No window pops up. I think I have narrowed it down to a compiler issue and not an editor issue since I get same problem in codesurge.
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 00:30
I just tried the "set text opaque" suggestion but didn't have any effect on the problem.

When I try to compile and run the Fortune Teller code, this is what it tells me in the Output box:

1) Created temporary file C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\dbp203A.tmp

2) Writing project file C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.dbpro

3) No icon is specified for the final exe

4) Compiling C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\FortuneTeller.exe (current directory is C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\)

5) Cleaning up

6) Compilation Successful

7) Executing "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\FortuneTeller.exe" (current directory is C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\)

But the problem is, it doesn't execute. No box pops up, no error msgs, nothing. When I go to the project's folder and manually run the exe, i get a "incorrect parameter error" and it won't run.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 01:07
This could be related to your problem:

Quote: "7) Executing "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\FortuneTeller.exe" (current directory is C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\)"

That suggests to me that you're not running the exe file in your project folder - just the temporary exe file in the default folder. Have you

(a) used Save Project As - and given the project a relevant name in the Projects folder or sub-folder?
(b) used Save As - and given the dba code a relevant name in the same folder?

It should work even if you haven't done that though.

Some more questions:

Which editor version are you using? You should be using the 23 June 2010 build (see Help>About Dark Basic Professional Editor).

What AV software software are you using? I recently upgraded Norton on both my machines and had to tell Norton not to apply Sonar to the default DBPro Temp folder or to the Projects folder. Otherwise Norton' Sonar stopped the exe files from running.

It doesn't sound like a Compiler bug because your code, suitably amended, compiles and runs fine here.

Is that the only project that doesn't run? What about a simple "Hello World!" program?
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 07:23 Edited at: 13th Nov 2010 07:40
Hey Green, I created a simple "hello world" program that consisted of 1 line of code (print "hello world") and it wouldn't even run.

Yes, I have used "save as" and gave it a proper name. But that has never stopped it from compiling and running before.

My editor version is indeed June 23, 2010 ver.

I am using the AVG free version atm. (I have told the resident shield to exempt the entire "The game creators" folder as was suggested in another post)

I have scanned for viruses but come up empty.

I may have to uninstall everything and go back to original ver minus updates. It all worked well before the U75 update.

Edit: just to clarify, the location of the Fortune Teller program is indeed in the editor/temp folder because I used Codesurge to write it and I put Codesurge in the editor folder. It used the editor/temp location to store the .dba and compiled .exe files on it's own after I associated DBP lib with it. But the DBP editor stores the .dba files as well as the compiled .exe files in the Projects folder. But I have same issue trying to run from either location.
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 07:59
Alright, I just did a repair of DBP from the install cd and rolled back to editor ver from Oct 2 2008 and the code will now run. Has to be something in the U75 update that is causing the issue.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 12:00
Now that you've got one version working it might be worth trying the U75 update again just in case something went wrong when you tried before. I'm using U75 without problems (other than the usual bugs of course ) on my machines - but I can't test it on Win7 unfortunately.

Quote: "I am using the AVG free version atm. (I have told the resident shield to exempt the entire "The game creators" folder as was suggested in another post)"

You will probably need to exempt the temporary folder you mentioned in your earlier post as well. However, your symptoms suggest that something else is the problem.

Could you give more details of the precise error message you get? A screenshot perhaps? (The relevant bits anyway.)
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 19:40 Edited at: 13th Nov 2010 20:34
I just reinstalled the U75 update and am now back to same problem I had before. No code will run. I don't know how to take a screen shot with win 7 yet so I can't help ya on that one.

The temp folder I mentioned is already in the "The Game Creators" folder located in the Program files folder.

The only error msg I get is when I try to run the produced .exe file directly from the folder. All it says is "incorrect parameter error"
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 00:04
The temp folder I meant was this one:

Quote: "4) Compiling C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional\Editor\Temp\FortuneTeller.exe (current directory is C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\)"

Quote: "The only error msg I get is when I try to run the produced .exe file directly from the folder. All it says is "incorrect parameter error""

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas now. Is it a DBPro runtime message or something else?

You'll need someone who's more familiar with Win7.

As a long shot you could try zipping the simple "Hello World" exe file and posting it here so we can test it. It's just possible something is wrong with the exe itself for some reason.
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 02:47
Ok, well, now it won't run under old editor... Getting stumped here. I only have one more idea to try out. Im going to completely uninstall all DBP products and reinstall them in the c:/ directory, out of the permission restrictive programs files folder....

I'll post an update when complete.
Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 05:58
Alright, the uninstaller for DBPro was corrupt and crashed at 1% of the uninstall. Let me tell yas that it was not fun digging through the win 7 registry as well as digging through the installshield folders to manually delete it all.

Finally got it and all purchased add-on packs installed in the C:/the game creators/ location and all is working well. I have not used the U75 update..lol (too chicken to attempt it after all I just went through). I think I'm gonna wait until an additional update comes out for the editor.

Green, I know you would like me to attempt the update again to see if the new location fixed the issues but I'm sorry bro lol.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 11:27
I sympathise.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 17:22
make a windows 7 restore point then try u7.5 or jump to 7.7 and see what happens. if it fails you just restore to the restore point.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 17:35 Edited at: 30th Jan 2011 17:39
Are you running SP1 for Windows 7? If so, that is apparently not compatible with DBPro U75 and newer in its current state. 'Regular' Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit will work fine, but the release candidate and beta of SP1 will not allow DBPro applications to run. They will return a 'parameter is incorrect' error message.

Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2011 23:38 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2011 00:11
Well I just ran into exactly the same problem after an update to Windows 7 SP1.

Edit: Problem solved. For those having the same issue and stumbling accross this thread, go here and download the U77 RC6 patch as it already contains a fix to this.

Thank you very much, TGC for fixing a problem M$ caused so fast

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 20:36 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 20:36
Ah, great, just ran into the same problem and wondered a lot.

Jan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 13:11
I took a break from DBPro a while ago; but decided that it was time to climp back up on the horse again today.

I was pleased to see, that the installation process ran much more smoothly now than it used to. However, I forgot that I never succesfully got DBPro to work from the default path in the programs folder. For reasons not completely clear to me, it needs to be indtalled in a local user folder (something to do with privileges). So - deinstall - reinstall - Succes

Compared to earlier, updating was a walk in the park. That is: aside for Win7SP1 issue mentioned by you guys. Not even "Hello World" worked :-(

A little forum exploring provided the needed info => I threw in the 7.7 update, and got back on the track again.

The new editor looks exiting, and both help and examples has been expanded somewhat. Good job guys!

Remember that 2+2=7 for sufficiently large values of 2.
acewales
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone, I am new to this stuff. im just learning the darkBASIC Professional language using a book. the book contains projects that it walks me through step by step, I just finished the 4th project which is the ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS game, I saved it over and over again but it will not compile, after I click compile, it shows no errors in my code, but it still won't compile and run. any help will be appreciated.
I have attached a normal text copy of the code if it will let you see it.

PS, all of my other projects work fine.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 22:14 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 22:16
Your code doesn't compile here. I get "command out of place at line 81" which is probably because this line has no matching ENDIF:

When I insert the missing ENDIF your code compiles and runs fine - except for the bug in these lines:

Edit You shouldn't really be posting things like that on this board - bugs in your code should be sorted out in one of the other boards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:09:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:09:25