Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Santa Down(TGC Christmas Competition Game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 23:32
Dear Mods:

Santa Down
An Epic Chimney Falling Adventure!

After many failed designs I've finally come up with a simple yet fun game concept(well I hope it's fun) for the Christmas game compo.

Game play consists of guiding Santa as he falls through chimneys to deliver toys. All you have to do is avoid obstacles using the arrow keys. As simple as that. When you avoid an obstacle, you gain a score modifier and your speed increases. The more score modifiers the larger your final level score. If you hit an object you loose one health and your score and speed modifier are reset to zero.

There are 100 levels in all, each more difficult then the rest. Most are locked until you've reached a certain overall score or have beat so many of a certain difficulty level.

There will be two extra game modes, sudden death where you have no health and are falling at maximum speed and infinite chimney where it's a normal game but with infinite falling.

Multiplayer consists of a split screen of the infinite falling level, first player is wasd, second player is arrow keys. Last one to survive wins.

If I have time I'll add achievements for players to earn.

Day 1:
Spent all day working on it and am actually nearing completion of the core game. Only thing left is player stats, the multiplayer level, and a few options. Once I get the bugs out(mostly collisionVSspeed/score issues) I'll upload a demo for peps to tryout.

Screenshots:
(note: these are all wip and not all the content has been added yet)
Level Select Screen:

Chimney Level Screen:

...seriously, my sig was deleted because of 8 pixels? Oh well, no hard feelings to the mod who did it.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. Looks simple enough. But have you though of making the sprites higher res? The 8-bit stuff is really not for some people(me).

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 01:50
Hmm, I thought the pixel look gave it style. The main levels won't be as zoomed in as shown, it just got too hard when speeding up to navigate properly.

Maybe after the compo I'll make a new graphical version.

...seriously, my sig was deleted because of 8 pixels? Oh well, no hard feelings to the mod who did it.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 04:17
I really like the pixel-y style though!
Looks like fun too, best of luck in the compo!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 17:46
Thanks zzz, I'm going all out on this one.

Few updates. Got rid of the tacky 'guitar hero' style indicators and just zoomed the camera out so the player can see the level more clearly. Also added scoring(still wip, trying to figure out how to do scoring and have multipliers for successful dodges) and I added Santa speak whenever he avoids or hits certain objects.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 20:55
Excellent work man. As always.
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 21:01
im curious, does this control like super meat boy? looking good by the way

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 21:09
I preferred the chunky-pixels look of it zoomed in myself (the repetition of bg tiles isn't as pronounced either); there's alot of wasted space on the new one, and the speech bubble thing looks needlessly distracting :/

Removing the row of indicators was a good move (the player'd likely spend more time looking at them than anything else, which wouldn't be too interesting), but maybe you ought to find a better compromise for the zoom
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 22:31
Looking good, Josh!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 14:26
Honestly I think this game would look better on a handheld, or Iphone type display. Taking everyone's suggestions. Trying to add more to the negative space. Though the levels are never more then 10s long, so I didn't think it would matter....and I've never played meatboy so I'm not sure what you mean by how it controls.

Reworking the engine, hopefully get this down. Having to use a free version of DBP as I have no idea where my install disc went...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:59:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:59:34