Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Santa comes to town

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 02:29 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2010 16:15
Ok, so it's a crummy name, but it's all I could come up with. This is for the community competition, which I just learned about last night. So with only 1 week left, let's see if I can complete the game. Fortunately, I fell into a platformer frenzy a few months ago and already have a tilemap editor and basic engine ready to go, so that just leaves the graphics and some added game mechanics.

If I have the time, I'd like to make a Mario 3 type overworld, which would be of the neighborhood Santa will travel around.

Graphics and music are original by me, and I'm still in the process of designing the tiles for the map. So until then, here's a teaser of the title screen.

Here's an early early screenshot:
http://zimnox.com/temp/santa_screenshot.jpg

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 12:40
Nice work! Didn't realise we could embed youtube vids either... not that I ever tried.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 15:06
They just added the embed feature last week.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 17:56
I love your style, you successfully captured my comfortable feelings for christmas, keep up the nice work!

TheComet

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 18:12 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2010 23:12
the game is about a hypno snowman?

ok ok, viewed the jpg, looks clean. what about ingame?

[img][/img]
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 13:29
Here's a video of the in-game engine.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 14:54
very nice, i like the light effect of the street lamps.

[img][/img]
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2010 01:58
Well, with only a week to do this (since I didn't know about the competition until a week ago) and the holiday, this game hasn't been completed. Now with the competition over, I'm scrapping the project and take what I've created so far and put it towards something else.

So if anyone cares to see the current progress, here's the whole project:
http://zimnox.com/temp/santa_phaelax.zip

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 04:11
Nice of you to post the project folder. You missed the deadline, but it's still a learning experience. I'd prefer Santa to move laterally a little faster, and for the mechanics to be a little slippier. Also the camera hysteresis seems quite high. Some of the graphics are nice. Especially the snow/ice and the snowflake collection animation.

BTW I never knew Santa was impervious to spikes. I guess given his other feats, it's not that surprising.
Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you planning to have some inclinement on your map, I made something very similar for the christmas compo, but didn´t finish it:

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 12:45
Very nice nabz, more along the lines of the engine I hope to build. Given that I only had a week to get in on the competition, I used the 2D engine from my zelda game and adapted it slightly. I had planned to support inclined tiles but as I haven't even finished my original 2D engine yet, I just didn't have the time to fit it in.

Quote: "also the camera hysteresis seems quite high"

What do you mean?

Slipperier mechanics would've been a nicer touch, but as I've said, a week didn't leave room to complete a lot, much less add polish to the finer details. I probably spent more time on graphics than coding.

I'm still working on the engine with two different collision models, one tile-based and the other vector-based. Most platforms would work fine with just tiles, but games like sonic would require the vector collision.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 12:53
Quote: "What do you mean?"

I mean how far from the centre of the screen your guy can move before the camera moves.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 13:30
You think i should've shrunk the movement area more?

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 18:23 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 18:24
Implementing vector collision for games like sonic isn´t that hard and you gain so much gameplay plus. If you need help with coding I can send you the source code of this engine of mine, also I have now two fully animated unused original characters that I have no use for, I would give them away for free.

To add some swagger to this post I made all this in 2 days (-; (Okay I had pieces of the code allready from my Mario game as I started)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 19:58
yea the engine itself isn't too difficult, but mine was originally designed for zelda-style. Not too many differences really.

I'm developing an editor alongside with the engine. Right now I'm still deciding on whats the best way to store the vector information in the map file. The editor is in Java, which for every GUI operation it makes easier to program, it makes another aspect of manipulating the map that much harder over DB. I should just get bluegui.

Is that what you used for your game? vector collision?

Yea I'd take a look at the code to see how you structured everything.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah the block engine is important too, usually I pair it with the vector engine so you can build almost everything.
By tomorow you should have mail, I did everything in plain Darkbasic, should be well enough documented.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:00:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:00:31