Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo '11] Drive

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 18:25 Edited at: 30th Dec 2010 17:38
So yeah it's a bad name. So far I've got some things working(collision, powerups,AI, 'n stuff). I'm making this for NaGaCreMo 2011. Winter break is coming soon so it's almost time for teh codezing.
To do list:
= Completed
= Working on
= Idea

Checkpoints =
Ai =
Power-ups =
Collision =

If you have any ideas for the game then tell me please. I really need things to code as I haven't played much Racing games. Fraps makes the game run slow. Usually runs 60FPS+ on my integrated card. It makes the walls colour look weird too.

Video :
Watch in HD and fullscreen to see the checkpoint counter increasing.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 19:07
Looking good Eminent! Can't wait to see more!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 21:02
Looks good. It's smooth and it looks like you're focusing on the mechanics first and worrying about appearance later; that's really good.

Can't wait to see more! Any idea when you might have a demo out for playing?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 21:43 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 01:25
Looking nice, one suggestion I have is to implement drift... basically, when the car does a sharp turn, it should slide a little and have inertia. It adds to the realism, and makes turning a lot more fun.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 23:01 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 01:45
Thanks guys, I'm working on the demo to be out by January 31,2011(same as Zeus, although his project is bigger than mine). But I hope it'll come earlier. If I have the urge to keep programming during the break and not play too much league of Legends, it may come out before January 3rd(the demo, I mean.But probably not)! The drifting is an excellent idea, thinking on ways for implementing it. Anyone else have more ideas?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2010 11:48
Drift sounds like a good idea. Also, at 0:28, it looks like the car's turning without the wheels moving - on a real car, you'd obviously have to be moving backwards or forwards to turn at all, so you might want to implement that.

Other than that it looks great! The racing model looks pretty smooth and satisfying.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2010 15:52 Edited at: 18th Dec 2010 17:47
Yeah. I originally had it so you can't turn without moving forwards but when testing I got pissed that it took so long for me to test new features myself because I wasn't playing the game, I was testing so yeahhhh, I made it temporary that you could turn W/O moving.

EDIT: Wow, getting a drift effect is hard. Must get coffee .

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 23:46
I can't give you any code at the moment because I'm not home, but my theory for how I'd do it would be at every loop to record a vector with the direction and speed of the vehicle. Then, simply add that vector to the object after the movement code, but before collision detection. The hard part would be that depending on how you speed up the car, it might get endlessly faster as the vector increases with itself. What I'd do then would be to calculate the drift vector by having the velocity of the car, but then subtracting the old vector so that the effects of drift are reversed before getting the new drift value.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh thanks. I don't want code as I want to do this all by myself. But what do you mean by adding the vector to the object?

Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 01:45
Looks good so far! Good frame rate and everything so far! Power up was good! My suggestions. I know this game is early in development, but you said you were looking for suggestions as your not a race car game type.

- Add skybox
- Lower the wall way down just above the vehicles height, then add a sort of 'bleachers' with the crowd. (Add some crowd noise)
- Engine sounds. Lower gear, medium gear, high gear. All you need. Some good ones in the TGC sounds pack.

Look as though the car in front of you had some decent AI on it. So nice job on this so far!

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a couple skyboxes but I was too lazy to put them in again so yeahh. The map was made the cartography shop and this is the lowest it can go I think. I like the bleachers idea, I'll probably add that. I've been to lazy to add sounds and things like that(I'm focusing on a playable game right now) But I'll add that when I've got thing going.Meanwhile, I'll be learning about vectors.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 18:26
The way I'd do drifting is to rotate the car more in to the turn it's making than the actual angle is.

Anyway looks great What are you using for collision?

TheComet

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG RAGE!!! Much simpler way to do drifting. But I've already learned and implemented vector movement and I'm stubborn so I'm just gonna use vectors.

I'm using Sparkys for the collision, very simple and fast.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 18:07
now i understand why you were so interested about drift and grip using vectors.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 18:15
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 19:23
very ambitious project.

[img][/img]
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm bored so I'm gonna work on the AI. The guys from Pure have a very nice AI technique. It's a nice read if you guys want it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3920/the_pure_advantage_advanced_.php

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 16:49
Nice job, Eminent. Your WIP made it in the newsletter too. Keep it up!

yrotate when you can spin?
God Bless!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:03:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:03:48