Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro] Level editor for Explosionade (Xbox and PC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 08:25 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2010 12:01
Greetings everyone!
I've been working at Mommys Best Games on Explosionade. When I started, the levels were being hard coded (each piece was placed using c# function calls). Using DBP's quick up time, I was able to create a simple level editor (literally over night) that allowed us to more than double the number of levels in the game, as well as make them more robust.

Now, as we prepare for our PC release of the game, we are going to be distributing the editor with the game, along with a "Campaign Manager" (also made in DBP) which allows the user to group levels they have made, and then upload them to our server, where anyone in the world can download and play them in-game!

Here's an article about the editor:
http://mommysbest.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

I'll post more as the development progresses. Be sure to check out Explosionade on XBox until the PC version comes out! </shameless plug>

“It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value” -Stephen Hawking

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 00:50
you mean you used dbpro to make a level editor for an xbox360 game?? COOOLLLL!!!!

[img][/img]
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 04:12
Oh, wow, I just watched a trailer on youtube and that game looks great! Reminds me of the golden years of SNK which are some of my favorite memories in gaming. Its really cool that the editors are written in DBP. Can't wait to see the PC release!
The ace of the spade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 06:04
@Ermes - that is correct, and we will also be selling it with Explosionade PC so that end-users can create their own levels.

@Coldfire - We're looking at a Summer release! Spread the word!

“It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value” -Stephen Hawking
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 15:05
That's fantastic! It's nice to know that DBPro is useful for developers outside the TGC "circle", as it were. I can see why you'd use it for an editor like this, especially if you were able to come up with a working editor overnight!

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
This is awesome really to have DBP involved in a current-gen console stuff...

..though i must say hearing about "hard coded levels" today is way more shocking for me personally. I haven't done it for 11 years, since my very first game project.

Your game must be incredibly easy to manipulate, so you could make that lightheaded statement in the newsletter about "the time an editor spares you, takes away with actually making the editor itself".

This is NOT true, and extremely getting more and more NOT true by the number of levels getting higher.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 00:01
Having read all three parts of the article (You'll all have to wait, but it's worth it!) it helped me make my latest editor. It's an editor for defining 2D bodies for Box2D games, and took me about 2 hours to write. It's for my use only so...

1. Do I need fancy menus - no. All options written in plain text onscreen

2. Do I need the best technology for a simple editor - no. I used Advanced 2D by Diggsey to draw simple lines and transparent triangles.

3. Do I need to ensure all polygons are 8 nodes maximum - yes. It was worth adding extra effort to break the shapes into 8 point polygons automatically

4. Do I need to ensure points are defines in a clockwise manner - absolutely not! I can work that one out for myself.

Here's the editor...

and here's an idea of the many complex shapes I can define in a matter of minutes. The video was to illustrate a problem, but it shows off the shapes well too...

The ace of the spade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 13:38 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 21:51
Quote: "Your game must be incredibly easy to manipulate, so you could make that lightheaded statement in the newsletter about "the time an editor spares you, takes away with actually making the editor itself".

This is NOT true, and extremely getting more and more NOT true by the number of levels getting higher."

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to here. Could you possibly clarify?

If you were referring to my statement "If it is not going to save you more time and effort than it took to create it, then don't bother creating it," I was referring to the fact that one should not necessarily code an editor from scratch if their project is small enough that it would take the same, or even less time, to hard code levels or use an existing tool, such as notepad, to design their levels. However I certainly agree that a higher number of levels increases the demand for an editor.

I would argue, however, that regardless of the size of a project, good, well structured code is always easy to manipulate, especially in object oriented languages like C#

@BatVink - You're too kind! I'm glad you found my article helpful. That editor looks great! It's clearly very well thought out, and you really can't beat 2 hours!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:34:34