Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Port Apollo - Completed from WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 17:56
Port Apollo

This is a little game inspired by Josh Mooney's "100 Crates in 100 Days" project. The basic premise - drop the crates on the trucks waiting (sometimes) below. You earn points when the crates are delivered (taken off the screen). To proceed to the next level, a certain percentage of the crates must be delivered successfully.

Credits
Graphics:
Crate Textures - Josh Mooney
Most Object Textures - cgtextures.com

Sound Effects:
All Sound Effects - freesound.org

Music:
In-Game Music - Matt McFarland, mattmcfarland.com

Other:
Newton Game Dynamics Physics Engine - Julio Jerez and Alain Suero; wrapped by Walaber and tiresius
Object Explosion Library - Dr Tank
Image Manipulation Library - Syncadius

Download
Find downloads, information and high-scores on my website:
http://brianmacintosh.com/projects/project.php?proj=4

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still betting a lot of the trucks going crazy bug... I keep losing really early because of it

swis
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 13:06
Nice game, BMacZero! Very addictive too. Heheheh. Sometimes when I highlight the 'Play Game' option and press enter, the credits are shown. Is this normal?
Other than that, no other bugs yet.
Well done!

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 03:54
Dang, swiss, I though I'd at least lessened that. I'm trying one more time - I turned on CCD between the crates and vehicles in the last version, and now I've remade the truck collision shape to have a much thicker bed. I could never get the error to show up much before, but it seems to be doing better from my testing on this new version.

Do you have a fast computer or a relatively slow one? I think the error may show up more on slow computers because the crates have to fall further each frame, and the CCD just doesn't seem to be working right, allowing them to sometimes land far enough inside the truck to interfere with the wheels.

Anyway, if you have the newer version (PortApollo2.exe), you can just download the patch attached to this post and extract it to your Port Apollo folder. I'll re-upload the full game to my site as well.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 06:49
hehe set a new high score! BTW the music is BEAST!!!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 19:35
Nooooooo. Guess i'll try the new version.

BTW it's never a great idea to have game mechanics depend on the machine it's running on. I think that Newton can be (and should be!) set to run at constant FPS. You do then have to decouple your framerate from that, which is a pain in the bum if you haven't done that before, or incorporated it into your project from the start, but it does mean other people won't get wacky physics if you've tested it and it works OK.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 05:48
I agree, Dr Tank, but that's just a theory. I haven't even seen in played on any computer other than mine, so I don't know if that's the problem or not. I know Newton is timer-based, I think the only problem is with its CCD or how I'm using it.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've noticed that the way newton reacts relys on the FPS. I had a game working great at 1400 FPS, but when I tested it on my old computer, running around 200 FPS, the game was a wreck! Anyways, I'd say I have a fast () computer and, luckily, the patch seemed to totally fix the problem! I noticed the boxes occationally going into the truck, but not causing harm. Those boxes sure are sticky! This is a great game now, I got around 70, but then had to quit quickly and didn't finish so we'll see...

swis
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 22:23
I think it's possible to make Newton work with set timesteps. I gave up on Newtwon because I couldn't figure out how, but later learned that it could do it, although I forget how.

I got a messagebox pop up from Newton after level 11 saying "rigid body 12 not defined", or something, but after I pressed enter it let me continue.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 00:53
Quote: " the patch seemed to totally fix the problem!"

Victory .

Quote: "I got a messagebox pop up from Newton after level 11 saying "rigid body 12 not defined", or something, but after I pressed enter it let me continue. "

Hmm. Good thing Newton has that nice feature.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 01:44
Quote: "Hmm. Good thing Newton has that nice feature."

Yeah I was impressed. I was expecting it to quit out, and lost soon after because it put me of my game, but it was cool to still get to upload a score.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:05:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:05:52