Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBPro] [AppUp] BRIXOID (Full game) V1.1.0

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 23:45 Edited at: 15th Apr 2011 15:07
Hi all, since my game BRIXOID is now completely finished and ready to be re-submitted on AppUp, I thought I'd show you all some pics of the latest version.
It was already finished at the end of the Intel AppUp compo a few months ago, but it has gone through some major changes, especially visual.
Another important feature that I added, are online highscoreboards, with the help of mr_d's great program Online Scoreboard.

Here are two download links for BRIXOID:

1) Soharix: BRIXOID

2) Filefront: BRIXOID

The demo is limited to the following:

There's only two levels that you can play (over and over again), and there's only one ONLINE mode available (EASY mode). The others won't work. This online scoreboard will also be deleted in a couple of months or so, so you'd better take advantage of the time left to play online. Heheheheh.

So, here are the main features of my game BRIXOID:

- 25 levels;
- 11 power-ups/downs:
* a power-up that grows the paddle
* a power-down that shrinks the paddle
* a power-up that activates a lasercanon to shoot the bricks
* a power-up that speeds up the paddle movement
* a power-down that inverses the paddle direction
* a power-up that activates the 'CRUSHER' (an electrical beam that destroys the bricks upon contact)
* a power-up that activates the 'DESTRUCTOR' (an electrically charged ball that destroys the bricks upon contact, which has the ability to drive trough complete rows of bricks without bouncing back)
* a power-down that speeds up the upwards movement of the deadly laserbeam
* a power-up that glues the ball to the paddle
* a power-up that adds 1 life
* a 'SURPRISE'-power-up that drops deadly bombs or bonus-diamonds or unbreakable bricks in front of the bricks.
- A pause feature;
- Four LOCAL and four ONLINE difficulty levels to choose from (Easy, Medium, Hard and Extreme);
- Highscoreboards for each difficulty level, in both LOCAL and ONLINE modus;
- Four songs to choose from (made by myself with FL Studio and my electrical guitar). There are three trance/house songs and one heavy metal song;
- A colorpicker to change the color of the ball;
- Ten different themes (skins) to select (i.e. Silver, Army, Birdy, Astral Rock, Neon, Hot Chocalate, etc...);
- Volume sliders to adjust the...volume...heheheh.
- 69 different country flags to choose from (only in ONLINE mode). Yeah, I know it's an odd number, so I added one more 'flag' which doesn't represent any country (good if you don't want others to know where you live, or if your country flag isn't represented).

Even if you don't play the game, you will be able to check the online scores. I will post the URL's later on.

Here are some pics:

In-game:

In-game:

The Options Menu:

The Help Menu:

The Name Insert Menu:

The Country Flag Menu:

One of the Online Highscores (in-game):

Feel free to comment or critic. Thanks alot.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 04:39
Looks sweet. Post the freaking demo!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 11:49
This looks fantastic! Filefront is very good and free.

Can't wait to test it on my netbook for you!!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 14:13
Quote: "Looks sweet. Post the freaking demo! "

Thank you very much, Dr.Tank! I'll post the freaking demo ASAP. Hheheheh.

Quote: "This looks fantastic! Filefront is very good and free.

Can't wait to test it on my netbook for you!!"

Many thanks, fella! I'll check out Filefront. And, I appreciate it a lot that you want to test it on your notebook!

I have some things to do right now, so as soon as I'm back, I'll upload the demo.

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 02:37 Edited at: 6th Jan 2011 02:54
Okay, you guyz and girlz, you can find the link to download my game BRIXOID on the first page.

ENJOY!

And, all comments are highly appreciated. Oh yeah, and I would also appreciate it a lot if those who have a netbook could please test it out and report any bugs or problems regarding gameplay.

Thanks!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 02:42 Edited at: 6th Jan 2011 02:46
hmm. well, while i wait for the 56kb/s (and DROPPING) download finishes... are you going to post a link to the full product somewhere in this PA or do i have to hunt for it?

add:ack... this is one of the few times i'll actually recommend megaupload or the like... beats this (now) 43kb/s. heh.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 02:53
Quote: "well, while i wait for the 56kb/s (and DROPPING) download finishes... are you going to post a link to the full product somewhere in this PA or do i have to hunt for it?"

Well, yes, I will post the link to the full product when my game passes validation on AppUp.
And, yeah, maybe I'll add another upload link if this previous link is too slow. However, I just tried downloading it, and it was pretty fast for me.

Thanks for downloading, though. Enjoy!

Cheers

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 02:59
grrr. nearly finished and server reset went to dl again and a whopping 39kb/s... i'll wait for a new link.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 09:58
Downloading now. I'll let you know how it runs if I get a chance to test on my netbook tonight!

Can't wait!!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 12:25
Quote: "i'll wait for a new link."

New link added to the first post.

Quote: "Downloading now. I'll let you know how it runs if I get a chance to test on my netbook tonight!"

That will be awesome! Can't wait either.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 19:49
Played the demo. Two problems at the moment:
1-FPS seems very low (can you put a counter in a beta for me?)
2-Ball seems to pass through the paddle almost every time even close to the middle, could be caused by low FPS and TBM?

Other than that I love it

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 19:58
Quote: "Played the demo. Two problems at the moment:"

Thanks for playing. Hum, seems the problems never stop.

Quote: "1-FPS seems very low (can you put a counter in a beta for me?)"

Sure, I can. I'll send it to you.

Quote: "2-Ball seems to pass through the paddle almost every time even close to the middle, could be caused by low FPS and TBM?"

Hum, very weird too. Do you think that could be the problem?

Quote: "Other than that I love it"

Aah, that's great news.

BTW, did you experience problems with the flag choosing menu, or the online mode?

Thanks!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 22:51
Quote: "Do you think that could be the problem?"

Actually if I had to guess I would say yes. If the framerate is very slow and the check for a hit on the paddle is done after a check for whether the ball is below the paddle height...

Quote: "BTW, did you experience problems with the flag choosing menu, or the online mode?"

Worked a charm, I got about third on EASY despite the problems

You should see my name there...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 23:57
Quote: "Actually if I had to guess I would say yes."

Yeah, it could be that. Still, it's rather strange that my game ran fine on other netbooks while the compo was busy.
Hum, maybe it's because my game runs in windowed mode.

BTW, I sent you the new exe (fps display).

Quote: "You should see my name there..."

Yes, I did. Seems like you're the only one who's competing online atm.

Cheers

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 13:14 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 13:33
Hey The Slayer
Your start up screen and other in-game screens and sound/music are very good and professional looking/sounding - great job!
I have a play, and it seemed to run fine for me; none of that ball through the paddle thing that Baxslash mentioned.
My only problems were that the ball was hard to see or keep track of - maybe I should experiment with changing the colour of it or something...
My only suggestion on a possible gameplay improvement would be mouse control of the paddle.
My other suggestion (not gameplay related) would be to try to remove (or rename) all the other exe files created - having exe files just tempts people to try to run them and although they shouldn't be runnable, you never know what could happen.
Anyway, great job again, and good luck with the AppUp store.
Cheers.}

(\___/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
("_(" help him gain world domination.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 16:42 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 16:43
Hey, mr_d, thanks for the comments!

Quote: "Your start up screen and other in-game screens and sound/music are very good and professional looking/sounding - great job!"

Glad you like the artwork/sounds/music! I appreciate it!

Quote: "I have a play, and it seemed to run fine for me; none of that ball through the paddle thing that Baxslash mentioned."

Well, I believe that it is more a netbook related issue. It should run perfect on more powerfull machines.

Quote: "My only problems were that the ball was hard to see or keep track of - maybe I should experiment with changing the colour of it or something... "

Hum yeah, the ball was kept smal to make the game 'difficult' enough. However, the size of the ball doubles at the end of each level, depending on the number of bricks that are still remaining.

Quote: "My only suggestion on a possible gameplay improvement would be mouse control of the paddle."

Maybe I can still put that in, but since it is designed for netbooks, I might not add it too. Not sure yet.

Quote: "My other suggestion (not gameplay related) would be to try to remove (or rename) all the other exe files created"

Well, I'll see what I can come up with. The exe's won't run, because they are linked to the main exe.
I tried to put the media files inside the (main) executable, but for some reason, the progress bar stayed at 79% while compiling.
If anyone knows how to add media files to the exe in DBPro, then please let me know. Thanks.

Quote: "Anyway, great job again, and good luck with the AppUp store."

Thanks again, mr_d.

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 16:56
Quote: "If anyone knows how to add media files to the exe in DBPro, then please let me know. Thanks."

Just change the application type to media in the properties tab of the new IDE.

Works fine for me but don't compile fonts or animation files (enhanced animation plugin) as they don't work for some reason...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 17:09
Quote: "Just change the application type to media in the properties tab of the new IDE."

That's how I did it, but still, the progress bar when it was compiling stayed at 79% for some minutes. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to compile? Does it take much longer to compile media files in the exe?
Thanks!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 17:18
It does take a little longer but not a lot using the new editor (quite fast at compiling in my experience much faster than say codesurge)...

Around 80% is probably when it starts adding the media.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 21:54 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 22:02
initial thoughts:

something i see, time and again, is what i'll call unfriendly window usage. while i understand the app-up games were designed for netbooks, you still want a wide # of users to enjoy all the (obvious) hard work you've put into something like this.

with that, i would appreciate a small routine that considers the large amount of users, like myself, who won't be playing this on a netbook and now struggle to look past a rigid design element.

including something like this would go a long way:

** of course, you could/should take it a little further than the code offered above, but you get the idea. regardless of how much you expand on the code, it's still a relatively short amount of work that would go a long way, in my opinion.

otherwise, the window's "crammed" into the upper-left corner of the screen. by removing the title-bar, i can't move it to a more-appropriate location and am now forced to 1) move my taskbar since it overlaps the game (yes, some of us still keep our taskbar at the top of the screen where it's supposed to be ) and 2) decide if we can look past this irksome situation we're now forced to endure and still enjoy the game (over-dramatic verbiage, i know ). i don't have a problem with titlebars and borders being removed but please consider as much of your audience as you can when designing

meanwhile:
as stated before - the media is awesome and impressive.

play is "good", though i see some slightly jittery movement throughout (which doesn't detract much). collision could use a tweak in some respects, especially when the ball expands where things aren't happening 100% as expected.

i think there could be a little more cohesion between the menus. ie, having the mouse work (well) on the options menu but disappear on the main menu (requiring keyboard input) is a little cumbersome.

the entry system re: High Scores could use some tweaking (namely, holding [shift] hides characters until it's released). further, certain characters are omitted from the ONLINE High Score table (mine should read "VN!" or "NOMAD!" (i can't remember which one i used)). i'm sure you know of these issues but they're worth mentioning. by the way, being who you are, i'm sure you'll appreciate part of the backstory to my handle here.

i'm gonna take some time and learn the power-ups & -downs and continue exploring your creation here but did want to offer some initial thoughts.

nice work and thanks for sharing!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 22:01
I just tested the exe you sent and I'm getting about 12fps. I'd guess that is the main problem.

Send me a fullscreen exclusive version and I'll check the difference if you like? You only need to worry about the media if it fixes the problem.

My netbook is average to good for speed (for a netbook) I think:
HP Mini 2102
Intel Atom N455 1.67Gh
Windows 7 Starter

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 23:38
Wow, Virtual Nomad, that's probably the longest response I've ever had. But, glad you did.

Quote: "what i'll call unfriendly window usage"

Yeah, the original game is developed for Netbooks (only). I might consider converting it for PC or laptop, though. And, I understand your frustration. The previous version (the demo I uploaded while the AppUp compo was running) had a routine to center the screen in the middle of any screen resolution, but I took it out, and didn't put it in this version.

Quote: "as stated before - the media is awesome and impressive."

That means a lot to me, thanks!

Quote: "play is "good", though i see some slightly jittery movement throughout (which doesn't detract much). collision could use a tweak in some respects, especially when the ball expands where things aren't happening 100% as expected. "

Like you said, the collision is not perfect when the ball expands. I'll see if I can solve that.

Quote: "i think there could be a little more cohesion between the menus. ie, having the mouse work (well) on the options menu but disappear on the main menu (requiring keyboard input) is a little cumbersome."

You definately have a point there. Initially, I wanted to limit all the menus to just keyboard input, but then the options menu would become much harder to program. So, I made a choice.

Quote: "the entry system re: High Scores could use some tweaking (namely, holding [shift] hides characters until it's released)."

Hum, I didn't have that issue before, but now that you've mentioned that, it seems that you're right. Holding SHIFT while typing does hide the characters. Not sure why, though. I'll have a look at it.

Quote: "further, certain characters are omitted from the ONLINE High Score table"

You mean characters like
? The most common characters are all represented, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Quote: "i'm gonna take some time and learn the power-ups & -downs and continue exploring your creation here but did want to offer some initial thoughts.

nice work and thanks for sharing!"

That would be great! And, thanks again for the comments.

@baxslash:

Quote: "I just tested the exe you sent and I'm getting about 12fps. I'd guess that is the main problem.

Send me a fullscreen exclusive version and I'll check the difference if you like? You only need to worry about the media if it fixes the problem."

Yeah, 12 fps is kinda low. I'll make a fullscreen exclusive version and send it to you ASAP. Thanks for your time!

Cheers

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 03:50 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 03:51
It's good!

I'm with Virtual Nomad on the window thing. Fullscreen windowed mode is so much better. Also means you can press the windows key and do something else - like use volume control, without having to quit the game. Looks lame seeing the rest of your desktop.

I don't see why players have to select "local" or "online"- I think the only thing affected is where scores get recorded. I suggest recording to both online and local high score tables. Also odd that it seems to revert to "local" whenever you go to options.

I played in "medium" and thought I got a high score, but apparently didn't. Maybe it would be cool, when your game is over, to see your score, and the high score table. Then you can know for sure that your score was too low, else see where you came without having to look it up from the menu afterwards.

Having all those exes in the game folder is odd too.

The core game is ace, but you need to work on the overall presentation.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 14:08
Quote: "It's good!"

Many thanks, Dr.Tank!

Quote: "I'm with Virtual Nomad on the window thing. Fullscreen windowed mode is so much better."

I know. Actually, the game is in windowed mode, except that the window is not visual. I did it in windowed mode because you can Alt-tab between apps without having to reload the media. But, there's a possibility that I might have to change that to fullscreen mode for the netbooks, since they are not that powerfull. There seems to be a problem regarding framespeed and collision checking on netbooks.

Quote: "I don't see why players have to select "local" or "online"- I think the only thing affected is where scores get recorded. I suggest recording to both online and local high score tables. Also odd that it seems to revert to "local" whenever you go to options."

The whole point of 'local' or 'online' is to have two seperate modes on top of the four difficulty levels, so their scores should be kept seperate too, in my opinion.
About the reverting back to 'local', you have a point there, though. I might change that.

Quote: "I played in "medium" and thought I got a high score, but apparently didn't. Maybe it would be cool, when your game is over, to see your score, and the high score table. Then you can know for sure that your score was too low, else see where you came without having to look it up from the menu afterwards."

Well, as I mentioned in the first post, the demo is limited. You can only play online in the 'EASY' mode. If you play the other difficulty levels in online mode, your score will not affect the scoreboards at all.
You'll only get the chance to put in your name (and flag) IF you have a higher score than any of the scores in that category.

Quote: "Having all those exes in the game folder is odd too."

Yep, I'm trying to find a way to solve the issue.

Quote: "The core game is ace, but you need to work on the overall presentation."

Thanks again, both for your good comments and suggestions.

Oh, and BTW, NICE highscore you've got there, Dr.Tank! You've blown away the competition! Hheheheheh!

One more thing, it seems that no one has mentioned the 'Credits' screen yet? Weird.

Cheers

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Epic game, and check who is the first xd

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 17:57 Edited at: 9th Jan 2011 17:57
Quote: "Epic game"

That's really good to hear! Thanks!

Quote: "and check who is the first"

Awesome score, Red Eye! Can someone else do better?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 14:08
Awsome credits screen. I thought as you'd mentioned it twice I should take a look!

Thanks for the mention

Is that using alpha text on a black screen or what?

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 00:23
Credits are sweet. I think it's dark ghosting.

I can't beat Red Eye's score! Any tips for scoring high?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 01:31
Quote: "Awsome credits screen."

Quote: "Thanks for the mention"

Thanks, baxslash! And, no problem. I've put everyone who helped or supported me in there.

Quote: "Credits are sweet."

I appreciate it, Dr.Tank! And, since you've supported me too, your name's also in the credits.

Quote: "Is that using alpha text on a black screen or what?"

Quote: "I think it's dark ghosting."

Yeah, I use a black colored plane object behind.
Yep, there's ghosting involved, and 'set object light' to give the second (colors) image brightness like a neon light effect.

Quote: "I can't beat Red Eye's score! Any tips for scoring high? "

Well, I'm sure it is still possible to beat his score. The best thing to do, is to take all teh powerups you can get (especially the bad powerups, because they give more points), and try to stay alive. Heheheh. Also, when you catch two red diamonds, you get a bonus of 20000 points. And, the bombs gives you points too, but if you hit two bombs in sequence, you loose one life.
And, keep practising.

Cheers

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 03:19
Quote: " And, since you've supported me too, your name's also in the credits. "

Sweet! You get to go in my credits too.

Thanks for the scoring tips. They helped! Is there any score penalty for losing lives, or reward for having them at game end?

It's great that you can alt-tab / use the windows key. However, you can't do this properly on the main menu - it keeps the game window selected somehow.

BTW fullscreen windowed mode (not fullscreen exclusive) fills the screen, and allows for alt tabbing. The downside to it is that it runs at desktop resolution, meaning if your game is fixed resolution, not matching the desktop resolution, graphics can look a bit blurry. If you change the res to desktop and stretch sprites to fit, they can look pixellated. I hear things like Sven B's Image Kit can help with this. If you're not using sprites and doing it all via 3D, changing the resolution will work fine though.

An alternative might be to still run the game still in a small frame, but with a black border all around, rather than on the desktop in the top corner.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2011 17:45
Quote: "Thanks for the scoring tips. They helped!"

Yeah, I saw that! Great score, Dr.Tank!

Quote: "Is there any score penalty for losing lives, or reward for having them at game end?"

Nope, but maybe I should do that. Not for losing lives, but some reward for having completed all the levels. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote: "It's great that you can alt-tab / use the windows key. However, you can't do this properly on the main menu - it keeps the game window selected somehow."

Well spotted. I used IanM's matrix commands 'has focus' and 'grab focus', so the program stays active. But, I should remove that from the main menu. On some menus I did this on purpose, though (just as a safety measure).

Quote: "BTW fullscreen windowed mode (not fullscreen exclusive) fills the screen, and allows for alt tabbing."

The only problem here is that my game is initially developed for netbooks, and since the resolution on netbooks is smaller (in height), the images in my game would get stretched if I would make it fullscreen.
The only good solution would be that I adjust most of the images to fit for a PC or Laptop resolution. I might do that in the near future.

So, you guyz and girlz, can any of you do better than Dr.Tank?
And, maybe comment some more too?

Thanks!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 19:56
Lots of potential for a great game, but I couldn't play long enough to even finish the first level. The effects are cool, but it was too difficult to keep track of the paddle with all the flashing going on every time it hit. The ball collision seems slightly off to me on the far edges of the paddle. And once the ball appeared to drop straight through the middle of it. I would highly suggest the option to use the mouse rather than arrow keys. And I disliked the window mode. Either make it full screen or leave the window decorations in place so I can move it out of the corner of my screen, my resolution is twice what your game runs at.

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 22:50
Quote: "Lots of potential for a great game"

Nice comment, Phaelax! I appreciate it!

Quote: "I couldn't play long enough to even finish the first level"

Well, practice makes perfect, as they say.
I don't think the game's too difficult to play. If I'd make it easier, than where would be the fun in the challenge?

Quote: "The effects are cool, but it was too difficult to keep track of the paddle with all the flashing going on every time it hit."

Well, the effects are there to make the game appealing to the eye. And, in a distracting way, to make the game a bit harder.
Once you focus more on the ball, and not the effects, it'll get easier to get higher scores.

Quote: "The ball collision seems slightly off to me on the far edges of the paddle."

What do you mean? Do you feel that the ball doesn't go in the direction you think it should go?

Quote: "once the ball appeared to drop straight through the middle of it"

Hum, that didn't happen to me ever, so I can't see what would cause it. Maybe it happened the moment that the paddle shrunk or something?

Quote: "I would highly suggest the option to use the mouse rather than arrow keys."

So, use the mousekeys to move left/right? Or move the mouse to move the paddle?

Quote: "And I disliked the window mode. Either make it full screen or leave the window decorations in place so I can move it out of the corner of my screen, my resolution is twice what your game runs at."

Yeah, I agree that the window mode is not ideally for other resolutions. Making it as a moveable window would be the most elegant solution. I was thinking of doing it like this, but make the window unsizeable.

Thanks again for the good comments, Phaelax! It's better to have criticism or suggestions, than no comments at all.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 14:26
Common you guyz and girlz, a bit more downloads and comments would be nice, you know?
Downloading is free.

Also, this is a special request to netbook owners:

Could anyone with a netbook PLEASE test my game on his/her netbook? I don't have one, and I really need to know how well it performs on netbooks. I need to know how BRIXOID runs on netbooks before I can re-submit it on AppUp.
So, please, anyone who has a netbook, try it out and report back.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 23:53
downloading. i'll play tomorrow!!

Ciao facce da sedere!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 03:07
That would be great, Ermes! Can't wait for your comments! Thanks!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 10:22
I tried the third version you sent me. It was much better (I thought I told you but my memory has leaks) but the ball still occasionally went through the paddle.

Let me know if I can help some more!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Good game and very great effects. Congratulations!

NURENDSOFT: Videogames for all.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 22:01
Quote: "Good game and very great effects. Congratulations!"

Thank you so much for playing and commenting, Jordi. Hope you'll keep on playing it as much as you can.

For those who have a netbook, could you please test it and report any bugs you might find? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 10:23
Hi The Slayer, i've now had a chance to check yr latest version demo out and must say how good it is, well done. You can tell how much time you have put into this one because its so polished.
I don't have a netbook however, this is clearly a community problem, so could only test on my pc.

I have these "constructive" comments for you to consider:
1) On my larger pc screen the game window is placed in the top left corner. It would be nice if it was central.
2) When i adjust the music volume in the "options" it does increase/decrease in real time, but when i turn the music off, this doesnt happen until i get to the game.
3) The white explosion effect when ball hits brick is very blinding in that it "hides" the ball too much so you have less reaction time to move paddle to next position. I have tried changing ball colour but this doesnt improve this "blinding" effect. Of course this may be intentional.

Other than that, well done, an excellent piece of work.
With that kind of quality, i look forward to your next venture.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 13:53
Hey Juney, thanks a lot for playing BRIXOID and for commenting!

Quote: "I don't have a netbook however, this is clearly a community problem"

I'm sure there are some folks that own a netbook. Maybe I'll make a thread in 'Geek Culture' or on the 'Dark Basic Profesionnal' forum and ask for netbook owners to test it out.
I still haven't submitted my game on AppUp because I need it to be tested properly on many netbooks.

Quote: "You can tell how much time you have put into this one because its so polished."

Thanks. Yeah, I've spend a lot of time polishing and making it better, but its still not 100% bugfree. I really hope to get this one finished properly soon, just for peace of mind.

About your comments/suggestions:
- I might upload a version in windowed mode, so that people can move it where they want.
- I'll fix the music on/off 'bug' ASAP.
- The explosion effect could be distracting, but it's also done on purpose. So, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about that.

Quote: "With that kind of quality, i look forward to your next venture."

Great comment, Juney. Many thanks. I do have some projects going at the moment, including an adventure game.

Good luck with your projects!

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:38:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:38:57