Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problems with the "SET CARTOON SHADING ON" command...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having some problems getting this to work for me. I think this might just be because the command isn't documented very well, rather than being a bug.

The command syntax is: SET CARTOON SHADING ON Object Number, Shade Image, Edge Image

What exactly is the edge image? I know that the shade image is a 1d .bmp file, but the Edge Image is some sort of .dds file and I'm not sure what this is. The documentation doesn't say.

I've tried just using the "shade.bmp" and "edge.dds" files that come with the relevent showcase example in my own program with mixed results.

On the "colz.x" model that is supplied with DBPro, I find that the model becomes unrecognisably deformed when I turn cartoon shading on. When I try it with one of my own models (in .3ds format) the program compiles, goes into full screen mode, and then immediately drops back out without displaying anything.

I hope someone can enlighten me here - Hope it's not a bug!

I should add that the showcase example works fine.

My spec is:

Athlon 1100Mhz
256Mb Ram
GeForce 3 Ultra
Windows XP

I'm using all the latest drivers.
JustLuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, is there an official contact email address where I could (occasionally) ask these sort of questions?

It'd be nice to get a quick response straight from the source, but I don't want to harass the wrong people!

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 21:20
The edge image is used for the outline of the object. You could replace "edge.dds" with a small black bmp and you would get a black outlined cartoon shaded object.

Have you installed the latest patch? Do you get the same problems?

Mike
JustLuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info on edge image!

Yes, I've installed the latest patch. I've not tried anything odd. Basically all I did was load a model, enable cartoon shading, and display it until I hit escape.

Did you try to set cartoon shading on for the "colz.x" model that is included on the DB PRO CD? That's the one that deforms for me. I could send you the model that fails to be displayed too, if you'd like.

JustLuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, I'm still not very clear on that. I created a 1x1 .bmp called "edge.bmp". It was comprised of a single black pixel. I used that for the edge image, but that just resulted in a model that was 100 black. Am I missing something obvious here?

Also, I seem to have found another bug with cartoon shading. If you enable it for a textured model, than your program crashes when you try to execute it.

Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2002 21:05
i have the same problem with a fully black sphere with this code

so annoying

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
----------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7.
Super Teo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2002 02:09
I used the edge.dds from one of the help files and it kinda worked I guess.. the cube got the right color.. but there where no black edges..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:55:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:55:52