Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] Last Life: TRUE Cross Platform RPG to be made with AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 06:37 Edited at: 12th Jan 2011 05:23
This game is now called 'The Beginning of the End'

I am working on an RPG game (currently in DBPro) that I will translate and finish developing with AppGameKit when it is released, so I can publish on all of AGK's supported platforms.

I am short on cash, so if anyone has any to spare please help me out

More information, a demo video, and how to contribute money here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshschriever/last-life-true-cross-platform-rpg
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 16:48 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 17:20
Quote: "This project will only be funded if at least $2,000 is pledged by Wednesday Apr 6, 11:48pm EDT"

are you sure $2,000 is going to be enough?

plus: Last Life

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Typically no one will fund you without seeing some actual progress. And why would you need 2k?

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 18:00
Nomad: I think 2000 will be enough because I dont really need any cash for actual development, plus I can always raise more than the goal but if I dont make the goal I get nothing.
The other Last Life isnt copyrighted thats why I didnt know about it.

Eminent: yes I do need that much because it costs a lot to publish on so many differant platforms.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 18:58 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 18:59
Quote: "The other Last Life isnt copyrighted thats why I didnt know about it."

Clearly you don't know much about copyright either Copyright doesn't apply to names and titles, only content. Names and titles are protected by a combination of trademarks and the "passing off" law.

If for example you use the name Last Life in something un-related, it doesn't matter, but if you use it as the name of a computer game, when the original Last Life was also a computer game, then the creator of Last Life could get you to change the name, even if he didn't trademark it.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18_copyright_names

Although that's not likely to happen, the short answer is that it's better to use your own name, if just to be polite.

[b]
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 19:07
I honestly don't know what to think about this.

Quote: "If I get the funding, most of the money will be used for the fees needed to publish on the different platforms. These include registration fees, yearly subscription fees, publishing fees, etc. I will also need to buy devices to test on, becuase most platforms require you to test on an actual device"

I do understand the need of funding for actually publishing the game. But why would you need to buy all those platforms? Is it required in order to be allowed to publish on those devices?

Quote: "Some of the money will also be used for the actual development of Last Life (in-game media, etc.)"

Are we supposed to invest in a game that is still in development?

I'm not familiar with those publishing/registration rights, which is why I ask. Also, why isn't AppGameKit mentioned in the description?

Cheers!
Sven B

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 19:37
Well sorry that I don't know a lot about copyright, I'm the development guy. I might decide to change the name but I'm not sure about that yet.

Actually, since I launched the project on Kickstarter I found some great resources so I don't really need any money for the development now, just for publishing and yes the game is still in development. AppGameKit is the cross-platform development tool mentioned in the descpription.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:11 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 00:20
maybe it's due to my poor english, but i've clear 3 things:

1) i don't know what are you talking about.

2) i don't think this is a WIP thread.

3) i've my hands glued into my pockets.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:45
Haha what the hell Ermes. xD! lol_rl

MMM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 14:40
Hmm.

I'm willing to offer you a deal, Schriev. If you change the name of your game and pledge to meet a selection of quality-assurance criteria (set out by me) in both your conceptual design, game design, production outline and final product, I'd be more than happy to publish your game for you, taking a 50% cut of sales and pledge earnings to cover my costs.

That would mean you still get to make and sell your game with AppGameKit - but without any publishing costs. If you're developing for free, that should make your entire production costless.

...Or you could just change the name and I'll leave you alone.

The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 18:11
Quote: "If I get the funding, most of the money will be used for the fees needed to publish on the different platforms. These include registration fees, yearly subscription fees, publishing fees, etc. I will also need to buy devices to test on, becuase most platforms require you to test on an actual device"

All the platforms AppGameKit allows development for offer an emulator and therefore there is no need to buy a hardware platform.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Well make the game first THEN ask for cash. Problem solved.

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 20:05
MMM: sorry I'm not interested but I am changing the name of the game to 'The Beginning of the End.' If anyone knows of a game that is already called that please let me know asap (but its not trademarked if there is one).

Wilderbeast: I know AppGameKit has emulators but most platforms require you to test on an actual device and not just an emulator so I still need the hardware.

Eminent: the idea is that by the time I have the game done it would be nice to already have the funding so I can publish right away instead of waiting another 90 days for the Kickstarter project.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 23:57
So you're asking for $2k to start an RPG game, then say you don't need the money for any actual development. What do we, the investors, get out of this deal? It'll be easier to persuade people out of their money if you can show them something. If you only need the money for publishing/license purposes, then that shouldn't be a problem. Considering how every RPG on this forum turns out (meaning that it never gets anyway), it's asking a bit much for people to invest in something they haven't seen completed.

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 00:07
without joking, i think asking money in a WIP thread WITHOUT A SINGLE IMAGE,WITHOUT ANY INFO ABOUT THE PROJECT, it's something real senseless. we aren't at present a bank.usually threads are locked for much less than this. anyway, good luck.

BTW,new idea for a forum section:"hopeless fundraising"

sorry mate if you haven't any supporters here.

[img][/img]
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW AppGameKit is only 2d so your RPG won't work.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 00:19
You can make a 2D RPG

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I think he was going for a 3d one. If anyone DOES donate and you don't finish the RPG, are you going to refund it?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 02:08 Edited at: 10th Jan 2011 02:09
Quote: "Wilderbeast: I know AppGameKit has emulators but most platforms require you to test on an actual device and not just an emulator so I still need the hardware."

Are you seriously asking for money so you can buy a computer/mobile device for yourself?

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 02:12
1. Everyone should follow the link (Ermes!!) and watch the video before commenting!

2. The game is 2D (It's made to look 3D Eminent!)

3. Phaelax: I already explained why I'm asking for funding now and not after I complete the game (which I will!) It's a lot more finishable than many games because I already have all of the media done and the concept is fully developed.

4. Yes I am asking for money to buy devices to test on (I can't publish if I dont!)
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 04:54 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 04:55
Would you ask your friends for gas money when you don't even have a car yet?

This post has several shades of wrong painted all over it. Where have the mods gone?

I commend your spirit of setting up the website for funding, I never heard about kickstarter before. But the reality of the situation is there is very little chance people here are going to give you money so you can make an RPG. Perhaps if you finish or make great headway with the RPG on a single platform (surely one of them you own, like Windows?) you may get funding to port it to the other platforms.

The mods don't even let people ask other people to donate their free time for projects at this stage, let alone donate some $. It isn't far enough along yet to ask anybody for anything.

Out of curiosity, what did you code the demo for the video in?

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 05:08
I wondered when someone would ask about the video! I coded it in DBPro. It should be easy enough to translate the code to AppGameKit (the core systems, not graphics but thats easy anyway). It's looking like I might have to wait until I've made more progress, but it would be really nice to have the funding by the time the game is done, which is why I'm asking for it now.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 11:53
Quote: "1. Everyone should follow the link (Ermes!!) and watch the video before commenting!"

I watched the video (link is not really the right term as there is no 'link' in place (edit your first post). I doubt you'll get 2K funding for this for a number of reasons.

1-An investor would want to see what the money would be spent on and I don't think you have a proper business plan for this (I could be wrong), the figure appears to be plucked from the air
2-The game itself (despite being relatively well produced) is nothing new
3-Everyone here (more or less) is a game writer too and although we would be willing to help and give advice we are not your prospective market for funds

If I had 2K to spend on games consoles / other platforms I would buy them for myself

Are you really going to give up if you don't get any funding? If so you're here for the wrong reasons and will never finish it anyway...

My advice: Make the game, enjoy doing it and if lots of people start saying "Wow this is really cool, you should sell this!" then think about selling it. If you really want to sell your game anyway you will need to finish it before anyone will consider paying you for it (unless you come up with something groundbreaking)!

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 13:03
Quote: ""1. Everyone should follow the link (Ermes!!) and watch the video before commenting!""

i would, but there is no link.

[img][/img]
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Errr......I'm pretty sure all of us(the community) has these platforms to test on. I have an iTouch, so we could help you out instead of donating 2k .

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 21:12 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 21:13
I know the link wasn't right at first but anyone on the forums should be smart enough to follow it anyway!

No I'm not going to give up if I don't get the funding! Where did you get that idea?!?

Kickstarter isn't about investing. You don't get money back, you get the rewards (which I am changing to better ones).

I know that the people on the forums are not the most likely to contribute money, I am trying to raise interest and even if you don't have any spare money to contribute you can tell your friends who do!

As to testing devices, I am already planning to use other peoples for some platforms, but some other platforms require you to unlock it for debugging so for those I still need money to get my own.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 21:43
The video is of a man running around on a green background invoking hard-coded events on an extremely limited number of entities.

There are spelling mistakes in the section where you ask people to give you money.

This text is just pathetic:
"For $15 I'll give you a digitally signed copy of The Beginning of the End 2 weeks before the rest of the world!" Apparantly you think a digital signature is like a normal signature...

Finally, you haven't said why you need $2000, and why you need it BEFORE you start proper development, and you haven't explained why this thread is in the WIP section...

[b]
Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 21:55 Edited at: 12th Jan 2011 05:25
If your'e going to make a post do your homework next time!
I just said I was changing the rewards didn't I!!!!!!
Yes, I have said why I need $2000! Have you read the posts on this thread or the description on Kickstarter?!?!?
It's in the WIP section because it is a WIP!!!!
What makes you think the events are hardcoded?!?!? They're not!!!
The reason the video has limited entities and why the events might appear to be hardcoded to some people is that it runs on script and I am currently still working on the script system so I haven't written many of the scripts yet!!!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 22:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 22:24
Quote: "It's in the WIP section because it is a WIP!!!!"

I don't really see a great deal of work or much progress. - All I see is someone asking for money and a load of whining.

I can't honestly see people paying for your own publishing costs. Maybe if you go apply to an actual publishing company or something, but we're all in the same boat you're in, we've gotta pay for ourselves so we're hardly about to pay for someone else.

Even if this is all completely legitimate and you really have all this media and a great game design and you're going to publish it on a load of different platforms you definitely should have asked in a different way:
Quote: "I need funding for the game so please help me out (for rewards!)"

^ This makes me think - "Pah, who is this guy? No way am I giving him $2000"
The word need in there just makes you sound... well... needy.

A better approach would have been something like this:
"I'm an indie developer like the rest of you so I'm low on cash, anyone wanna help me out with a donation? - Here's a link."

You're also going to get no where on any forum with an attitude like this:
Quote: "You are the pathetic one!"

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 22:46
You have no right to say that I havn't put in a great deal of work on this project! Most of the progress so far just isn't visible. When I finish the script system and start writing the scripts the visible progress will be much faster.

I also don't see what difference it makes, exactly what the money is used for, just that it is used for the game.
Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 22:50
Update:

I have changed the backer rewards to better ones!

Also: Just incase I don't finish the game, I'll send backers their money back!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 23:08
Quote: "I also don't see what difference it makes, exactly what the money is used for, just that it is used for the game."
It makes all the difference. You cannot expect people to give money without knowing exactly what it is being used for... I know I wouldn't donate money unless knowing that the person would actually finish the game, and also, I would only donate if the person was an established indie developer who proved that they could produce high-quality games. You do not need $2000 to make a game... If you really want to be able to test on multiple platforms, save up $140 for an iTouch, or just ask one of your friends. There are always options.

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 23:15
The people do know what it's being used for, and I already said that just incase I don't finish it, I'll send their money back! I don't need $2000 to make the game, but I do need $2000 to publish it on all of AGK's supported platforms! Also, its not just that I want to be able to test on multiple platforms, its that I have to! I have also already pointed out that I am planning on borrowing devices from my friends, but some platforms require you to unlock for debugging, so for those I need my own.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 23:21
Quote: "You have no right to say"

Hmm, that's funny. - No matter what you put after that sentence, it can never be true.

We have the right of free speech, I'm just telling you what you're doing wrong. - Don't like it; don't listen to me.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd say finish the game, THEN ask for money. Once we see nice progress, more people will donate.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 02:35
Quote: "but some platforms require you to unlock for debugging, so for those I need my own."
Could you give an example? None of the devices that are currently supported by AppGameKit need a subscription to publish. In fact, the only one I can think of is the Xbox, and even then, that only applies to games made with the XNA framework.

Schriev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 05:22
To publish on both Windows Phone and XBOX I need to specially unlock them for testing. Some platforms I havn't even registered for yet because of yearly fees so I don't know if they do or not. I'm not sure, but I think iPhone requires a special unlock. iPhone App Store, Windows Phone Marketplace, and AppUp all have $100 yearly fees, Blackberry App World has a $400 registration fee, and Android Marketplace has a $35 registration fee. That's almost $1900 already, plus a little space for any costs I might have but don't know about yet.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 10:07 Edited at: 12th Jan 2011 10:10
AppUp is free for the time being and since it just passed its first year of being open and they still are waiving the 99$ fee I would say you're clear for another year.

Even including AppUp that makes:
iPhone - 100
Windows Phone - 100
AppUp - 100
Blackberry - 400
Android - 35
TOTAL - $735 not nearly $1900...

I don't know about the other platforms but I'd say you need to do your homework and expect some critisism if you don't.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 10:41
Your asking for help with funding a game that has barely been worked on, I saw some grass, a deer, a couple of shrubs, and a guy. Your asking for funding to buy a lot of devices and pay a lot of license fees - but using a product that won't even be released for a few months yet, and making too many assumptions at this stage.

It's not the way to go about this, and this thread is gonna be locked, after I mention this...

Why not concentrate on 1 platform at a time. Get your media and design perfect, then when AppGameKit is released, pick 1 platform and see how that goes. Try and get the game to self-fund, by investing in new platforms slowly once the game is released and making money. You don't have to release your game on every platform at once - take Angry Birds for example. With a complete game, or even a mostly complete game you'll get funding a lot easier - in it's current state, I'd say your lucky to have that $5.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:40:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:40:34