Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / The current state of FPSC X10?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2011 20:22
I was just wondering what the current state of FPSC X10 is?

Stability?
Graphics Quality?
Community Mods?
Game Assets?
Documentation?

The major differences between x10 and the x9 version?

(I have already looked around for videos and I see some pretty impressive demos)

Difficulty in moving from x9 to x10?

Any input would be great.

ps. Please, I am not wanting this to be a x9 vs. x10 flame thread, just would like to get a better understanding of wear x10 is at right now. From the last I read about it, it was not going to be officially developed any more, but would still be developed by the community.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 20:39
Wait a sec....x10 isn't being supported anymore? Okay...so will there be an x11? Or is FPSC to forever remain a DirectX9 engine?

It's all kinda disturbing as I just committed to x10 on 3 year federally funded project.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 21:58
Quote: "Stability?"

X10 was very unstable for a long time. A couple of updates from Lee got the worst bugs out but the features felt incomplete or unexpandable.

Quote: "Graphics Quality?"

Great. X10 is a better place to start than X9 if you want good graphics out of the box. The tradeoff is we haven't seen many custom shaders or new shaders, if any.

Quote: "Community Mods?"

There is 1 to date. Its probably worth giving a try but I think its incomplete at the moment.

Quote: "Game Assets?"

Good. It comes with more characters than X9 and they are high quality.

Quote: "Documentation?"

Not good. You basically get the same manual as X9 without any of the meaningful X10 features being described. The community actually figured out how to get normal and specular maps working in the early days.

Quote: "The major differences between x10 and the x9 version?"

X9 is officially supported with a lot of community support (mods) and highly scalable. X10 is not officially supported, has a smaller user base but can produce better looking games out of the box.

Quote: "Difficulty in moving from x9 to x10?"

None if you dont count the lack of documentation and support.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 03:19 Edited at: 25th Jan 2011 03:23
Nomad, Thanks for detailed response.

Also, how different is the scripting or is it the same?
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 15:58
It's the same except, obviously, for the various commands and conditions for each versions' mods.

I reject your stereotype of Wisconsin and, in fact, live in a city.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:39:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:39:53