Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Can we get an ETA on proper VS.NET 2010 Express support?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2011 22:31
Hey all,

I haven't touched DGDK.NET since it was first released, and I'm having trouble getting it working with C# in VS.NET 2010 Express. I have seen a few people here who have workarounds, some of which involve installing 2008, but I'm not able to get it working with 2010. Can we get some kind of ETA or a proper tutorial on exactly what to do to get a C# app up and running with VS.NET 2010 Express?

Thanks!

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Frank C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 13:27
What's not working, I am using it with VS 2010 Team Suite?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 17:15
I would very much like to see a tutorial on how to get GDK.net installed properly with VS2010 as well.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 08:19
Well first of all, the templates do not install because they don't come up when I create a new project. I have tried reinstalling DGDK.NET on a fresh install of Windows 7 after I installed VS.NET 2010 Express. I had to manually install the template.

Now that I have the template I go New Project->DarkGDKApplication. The DarkDGK namespaces all have red underlines so I know I'm missing a reference. I have tried to find the reference object manually but can't seem to get one to work. Has this been officially tested in 2010?

Frank C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 13:07
the templates do need to be manually copied into VS2010 because the install wasn't set up to ask you where you wanted them dropped. You need to set the compiler to x86 instead of any CPU or x64 for both debug and release builds unless you only have an x86 machine and you will have to remove and readd the GDK references.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2011 19:31
@Frank C - Your post just proves that we need some kind of tutorial or an updated template that works in 2010.

Quote: "You need to set the compiler to x86 instead of any CPU or x64 for both debug and release builds unless you only have an x86 machine and you will have to remove and readd the GDK references."

First of all, where exactly do I set these compiler settings? I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Also, you said to remove and re-add the GDK references. Where are they located in the install directory? I've tried to manually add the references before and they didn't seem to work.

Thanks!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 22:33
Well it's been a week since I've asked. Can APEXnow chime in here for a response?

TGC is still selling this product but as far as I can tell it doesn't work properly with 2010, unless there's some kind of changes that have to be done. But without even a tutorial, what do customers like myself do? We switch tools to a competitor? I'd hate to do that.

Underdue
Years of Service
User Offline
It works fine in VS 2010. Just make sure you have the references setup right.

Check out my VB2010 template for DarkGDK.net http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181469&b=37

Lead Innovator
Eternity Online
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 08:35
@Underdue - Your template is for Visual Basic, but I just use C# in VS 2010 Express.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 10:01
Is APEXnow even around anymore? Seems like he isn't replying to anyone who has issues with VS.NET 2010 Express, like myself. Anyone else have a clue on how to get this to work in C#?

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 22:35
Jeku, I can only apologise. I've created a sticky with respect to all the problems associated with the lack of updates and support.

Paul.

Shadow Fan 0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 23:16
Jeku,

I got the basic (essentially empty) template in C# working in Visual Studio 2010 Premium (but Express should work similarly) on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine with the following steps:

1. Moved the templates and all DarkGDK.NET related files from the Visual Studio 2008 folders (i.e. their default install paths, usually C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Visual Studio 2008) to the same places in the Visual Studio 2010 Paths (usually C:\User\[user name]\Visual Studio 2010).

2. In the properties window in Visual Studio 2010 for each of the references missing in the project, changed the "Specific Version" option to "False." Visual Studio then automatically grabbed the matching files that were at the location it was searching. Attached is a screen of the setting I am referring to.

I compiled and ran the project with no errors or warnings. Hopefully this is helpful and best of luck on your project!

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris

Attachments

Login to view attachments
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 21:06
Finally installed Windows 7 onto my system from Windows XP last weekend and have finally got the Development tools and DirectX installed without any problems.

After doing a complete install of the DarkGDK.NET runtime on Windows 7 64bit, it installed no problems, all ssamples ran straight out of the box. This in my opinion is an excellent move forward for Windows 7 users.

I will state that before I did all this, I turned UAC off (minimum) so whether this has an effect on installations, is unclear.

I can finally continue the updates on a more up to date version of Windows.

Paul.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 04:17
@APEXnow - Can you please put the exact steps you used to get this to work? I'm a little annoyed that you got it working and not me I also have Win 7 64. I followed Shadow Fan 0's instructions, and actually got the app to build. However, when I run it, it just crashed right off the bat.

Software Engineer - Metamoki
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 02:52
Jeku,

Because I had installed Windows 7 from scratch, there were a crock load of updates to download, but this was my first step to ensure all was up to date.

I then downloaded from Microsoft, the DirectX SDK v9.0c (August 2009) The whole download was 566mb

Because of User Access Control causing several problems on other developments at work, I turned this off under User Account management, and did this before installing any of the major stuff below.

Although I've since installed VS2010, At this stage, I installed Visual Studio 2008. Now, not sure if this is important for the DarkGDK.NET installer, but installing Visual Studio 2008 pretty much garuntess that the Visual Studio Runtime files are preinstalled as well, which may well be what people are having trouble with sometimes.

I then installed the DirectX SDK which went in no problem.

I installed the DarkGDK.NET toolkit from my last build which is what is currently distributed by TGC, no changes made.

I also installed the Game Creator Store application as part of the installation process.

Now although I had not ran up any project workspaces at this point, I did run through the preinstalled demos, and all of then ran without any problem on Win7 64bit.

If you can get this far without any crashes, then we're on the home stretch.

My personal opinion, is that both UAC must be off before installing any of the above because even when it's on, it changes the overall configuration of the development tools as well. Also, the VS Runtime stuff was pre-installed as well which may make a difference.

Can you let me know if you've had any success since my last post?

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:04:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:04:22