Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Seriously, FaceBook, is a Gr8 Idea!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 05:01
Hello,

I'm sorry since you seemed to think the other guy was the only one whom wanted it... But, this was my biggest suggestion during that contest, was that you add the ability for Facebook Publishing / Creation to this AppGameKit setup... Seriously, I think since GLBasic Already has Mac / iPod / iPad / Linux / GP2X / other Handhelds and of course PC / Windows Development covered, I think in order for this thing to have the impact that you want / need it to have, you should seriously think about adding the Facebook Game Development, to make it a snap to create online multiplayer games for the Facebook platforms, now it's a given that we / meaning anyone wanting to target the Facebook platform, will need a website / server with all the backend needed things such as the Database, and PHP / C++ Backend connections enabled along with a webpage setup for the callbacks to facebook, but I think that if you guys can figure out how to make the game creation part of it, and how to have it automate the php code needed to connect to the php backend and how to make it talk back and forth with Facebook like it should for things like hi-scores, friendlists, etc.. I think then this AppGameKit would be a MUST-HAVE for every developer worth his salt... Like think about either making or integrating your own Facebook library for things like the friends list, or scoring or Database callbacks / facebook callbacks necessary to keep the connection alive, etc.. I know that there is a very good version of this created for haXe, which is Multi-language and Multi-system capable from the start, and is open-source, and hence free, and with just the addition of some scripts can be used to tailor make any and all targets including: Flash SWF files, C++ Code either source level or compiled code, PHP, Perl, Python, Action Script 3, HTML, .Net, Etc.. I hope you get the idea...

Don't get me wrong I do NOT want to spam / advertise any other system, period, as I Do and Always Have love everything that TGC / and it's plugin developers Create! The Tools are top notch, DBpro is too Sweet for words, and DarkGDK/.net is Great! Although the lack of updates as of late has left me alot to desire, but... I do NOT want to see TGC bring out a product that is NOT going to be all that it can be, whoa, that sounded too much like an Army advertisement.. hehehe

But my point is this, if you can add things like Facebook support / maybe even target the Game Maker Browser Plugins as well as support different platforms like mac, linux, handhelds, and windows, I think you guys will / can be pulling down some serious money in registrations.. and it is a market that is wide open, as Zynga is playing their FB Development close to their vests, so as NOT to have any real / Good competition from developers with better ideas / better grafx capabilities such as people who can create mind blowing rendered images of their 3D Characters / items etc.. even if the games are only 2D, they can still look awesome, and the gameplay / concepts I know I have a few games that are FB worthy for sure, which are on backburner do to work on my latest 3D 3rd person shooter for kids, and also as I research the best / easiest way to get my 3 other games done and working on the FB Platform the easiest, fastest, best way, but that is easier said than done, since their are very few developers who figure it out, that are willing to help others, and give their secrets away...

Anyways, this is just my humble opinion, I hope you like the idea, if NOT, feel free to lock it, delete it, and if that is the case just know that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, or insult you guys in any way whatsoever..

Thanks for listening,

StOrM3

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
[PKE] Of All The Things I've Lost..[PKE]
[PKE] I Miss My Mind The Most! [PKE]
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 06:01
Whoa, haXe looks pretty awesome.

I was going to say that Facebook games are only possible using Flash or PHP, until I realized that haXe exports to SWF. Impressive!

I'm not sure this kind of thing is within the domain of AppGameKit, though. I'm going to do some research on haXe over the next week and see how it holds up.

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 21:10
I also think this is a good idea to in some way support the output into flash.

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 22:05
Facebook may be a good idea..

My biggest concern with the development of AppGameKit period is my fear that TGC developers will get strung out over trying to support so many products, as far as I know TGC is not a massive group, and would hate to see other things take a hit because of it.
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 00:58
I stated in another thread (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=41&t=180492&p=1) that TGC should consider making the run-time app (used in tier 1) into a browser plug-in. This might allow us to post games on FaceBook. I know it would allow us to post games on web sites.

Jason
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 18:47
Thanks you guys, for such positive feedback, I appreciate it, it's something that I have been thinking about since I first read about AppGameKit, and when I saw the other guy get hit, and locked down, I had to say something and explain more about it, and how it could be achieved, and how it would really help to boost it's popularity and sales... Example: Just saw on AOTS today about games being good for the world, and they were questioning how could a game like farmville be so popular.. the answer of course is because zynga has a corner on the market, and if people like us, could hammer out our ideas into full fledged FB Games, we could give them a run for their money... BTW: if they do get hammered for time, I would be willing to help out in little ways to help take some of the load off of them, like answering emails, beta testing, any other job that takes up time that could be used for further development, I am disabled, and sitting at home doing this stuff as pretty much a hobby, too keep my mind busy and off of my Medical problems..

Anyways thanks again guys, and TGC I really do appreciate you guys always looking for the next big think in Development...

Ciao' 4 Now,

StOrM3

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Facebook alongside all the other competitors of it, are big scams to dumb down the already not bright society.

Even geek nerds know that. Then what ARE YOU people?
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 23:32
I'm a 37 Year Old, Disabled Ex-Dell Tech Support, Microsoft Award Winning, Pre-Release Tester, and 23 Year Programming Experience, and Hardware Certified in Everything from Servers, Desktops, Notebooks, Linux, PC, Kind of a Computer Guru / Nerd... Who Also had their own Comedy Radio Show with 150+ Professional Comics on it Including all of the Last Comic Standing People, among other names like: Carlos Mencia, Mike Birbiglia, Keith Alberstadt, The funniest man in America James Gregory, among tons of others like Mark aka Sweeney San', Orange Barrels - Todd Yohn, too many others to list them all... I just wanted to let you know that besides Programming, and Computers in general, this Nerd, has other "hobbies" / with famous people as well. Umm so yea, I'm not a Script Kiddie, Lamer Claiming things and talking about things that I don't know about, trying to flame everyone on the forums, to start dumb arguments over nothing... Now, that this is out of the way, I do agree that Facebook, helps dumb some people who are addicted to it down, but you also have to admit that as a major source of distribution, publicity, and a way to get your name / game out there for more people to play it and maybe even make some money off of it, tell me a better way, that would actually work??!!?? Besides the people who do play your game, you have to realize their are tons of other people who may not play it, or know about it, unless your on Facebook and one of their friends plays the game, and then posts the info / scores to their wall, or even invites their friends to come and play it... Thereby giving you a way to reach far more people than any other avenue would allow..

Now, I didn't say all this to start a flame war, but to hopefully let you know your not dealing with a youngster, but someone who knows what they are talking about, and also let you reconsider your feelings about using facebook as a way of distro / advertising, even other ideas suggested by users or friends of your users..

Thanks 4 Listening,

StOrM3

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 20:28
Quote: "Facebook alongside all the other competitors of it, are big scams to dumb down the already not bright society.

Even geek nerds know that. Then what ARE YOU people?"

Yes, the internet wasn't made for social networking, it should be for pure business! Init? Obviously half a billion people are idiots because they want to communicate with others over distance. And what's worse, Facebook is raking in the money and we're not even paying a single penny! Despicable! Plus we get all these games and apps that we might have never seen before, and developers are exposed to large audiences with easy targeting! Unforgivable!

Seriously though, I think a lot of people don't like it because they don't like to conform. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with Facebook both for the users, and for developers alike. I don't know if TGC will decide to do this, but it's a hot niche, and everyone wants to get involved, so I think it would be a good choice on their part. As far as I can see, you have the ability to develop for platforms that I barely know of - not that I'm an authority on what's what, but I'm pretty sure Facebook is a good way to get people using AGK.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 01:00
I can't see a generic brand new plugin succeeding because the users who want to play the game would have to download the plugin before using it. The best way to go about doing this is through Flash, and I'm not sure what the legalities of using the SWF format are for commercial purposes without paying Adobe licensing fees and whatnot. There must be a reason why there's no "Facebook game creator" type software out there already.

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 16:23 Edited at: 15th Feb 2011 16:24
It can be based on WebGL.WebGL support is found on almost all web browsers these days.

There's a good WebGL multi-player example for FB games on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeCk9S2ov8
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
The thing with Facebook is that it is an IT bubble. Eventually the next cool thing will come along and FB will go the way of AOL, Myspace, LJ, and all the other "popular" things on the net.

Flash, Java, etc. are all tools that work inside almost any browser. Writing games specifically for one site sounds like a recipe to go down with the ship...
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2011 22:05
Quote: "The thing with Facebook is that it is an IT bubble. Eventually the next cool thing will come along and FB will go the way of AOL, Myspace, LJ, and all the other "popular" things on the net.

Flash, Java, etc. are all tools that work inside almost any browser. Writing games specifically for one site sounds like a recipe to go down with the ship..."

I gotta agree here, I'm sure the next cool is right around the corner -- or may come from a merger of some of the current cool things.

However, this could be mediated with a two-phased approach: (1) Publishing for web in general so that games can be played on any Apache/IIS server (may require browser plugin) and then (2) Create web publishing "profiles" that would allow you to further customize how the component and web page are created -- with one of those profiles being Facebook.

Then when the next cool thing comes along, you can just build a new profile. If the profile format were open, then we all could help each other build profile targets and share them here.

...just thinking outloud

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 00:15
I'm not sure that any site has been as popular as Facebook, in the history of the Internet. To simply compare it to an AOL or MySpace might not be accurate.

Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not sure that any site has been as popular as Facebook, in the history of the Internet. To simply compare it to an AOL or MySpace might not be accurate."

Google doesnt count due to its pure awesomeness.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 22:59
Quote: "Google doesnt count due to its pure awesomeness."

Haha, think of google as,,,, The house of the internet, Although sometimes you dont spend the night at your house, you always end up coming back

Iceman
Years of Service
User Offline
I tend to agree about the "bubble" thing, but if so, its going to take a LONG time to get to that stage.

Quote: "TGC should consider making the run-time app (used in tier 1) into a browser plug-in"

Yes, I agree here. If I remember the old click and play thing from that other team, "clickteam" had a plug-in called Vitalize. It was a small download plug-in that let ppl play games in their browser. I think something along those lines would be good for TGC to do.

Hell, not even just for the App kit, but for DBP as a whole!

It would open up loads of opps IMHO

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:08:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:08:14