Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Shadowcast text rpg

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 11:03 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2011 03:27
Hello and welcome.
This is the wip for my first real game which is actually a complete rewrite of the same game.
At one point I had gotten to 3k lines of code without really accomplishing much.
I got as far as I could and realised I had learned too much and started over.
I have now compressed it to about 2k lines and it is much more advanced than the original version.
The town, quest hub, saving and loading, combat and spell / potion systems are currently 100%, meaning all the systems are working, what remains now is the meat of the game, the quests.
There will be 6 quests and with my new engine I can make much more advanced and exciting quests than I could before.
Anyway, here's a screen shot to start off with!

From the very first version.

From version 0.5

From version 0.6

Download version 0.7 below!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 17:13
What the...

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 18:13
So I guess the first post has to be unlocked first? Strange idea, that it's possible to answer to not-yet-existing threads. Anyway, I'm sure it would look interesting, if we were able see it.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 22:23
Quote: "So I guess the first post has to be unlocked first? Strange idea, that it's possible to answer to not-yet-existing threads"

Edited posts need to be re-approved, so they disappear.

A man will one day wear a tophat in glasgow on a sunny day juggeling grapes while humming the jurrasic park theme tune.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 00:54
Quote: "Edited posts need to be re-approved, so they disappear."

Now that does indeed make sense. I was just wondering because it was already the second thread within about a week.

Anyway, the game "looks" fun, as far as it's possible to judge that just by seeing the screenshot. And, not that it was really that important, I like the text color. Oh, and text adventures rule. It was certainly clever of you to start your programming carreer with a game like this, and seemingly it worked out pretty well so far.

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 02:35
Thank you.
Here is 0.2.
It contains the first quest which I know needs a do over, it was just an attempt at writing a quest and it was surprisingly easy to do with my current setup.
In the quests it matters what class you are, what you can do in the quest, it's sort of non liniar like that (But it is actually liniar)
Anyway, please give it a play and tell me what you think.

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 14:28 Edited at: 16th Feb 2011 14:58
Soo, I just played it. It's a bid chaotic, you might consider using the d3d func dll and use anti-aliased text, but apart from that it was actually really fun. I'm not through yet, I just fought against a snake and a werewolf. It wasn't that hard since I bought some quite overpowered items due to basically being rich. However, there's really some potential, I've had my fun and will surely continue playing within the next days, if not today.

Some Hints:
-Use different colors/fonts for descriptions, overview-menus, commands/options, fights and especially experience-information and level ups
-Some info about the spells would be nice, at the moment I have no idea how much they cost, what exactly the effect is (in numbers) and so on
-simple colored bars to indicate your health/mana-situation would be nice instead of plain text, same for experience (I don't even know how much I need to reach the next level)
-it's a bit strange that you can do the same quest multiple times

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 02:47
Quote: "Some Hints:
-Use different colors/fonts for descriptions, overview-menus, commands/options, fights and especially experience-information and level ups
-Some info about the spells would be nice, at the moment I have no idea how much they cost, what exactly the effect is (in numbers) and so on
-simple colored bars to indicate your health/mana-situation would be nice instead of plain text, same for experience (I don't even know how much I need to reach the next level)
-it's a bit strange that you can do the same quest multiple times"

1: Will do, I have a system said up for that, just didn't utilize it fully.
2: Will do, it'll be in the next version.
3: Hmm a tad tricky but I'll see if I can fit it in in the next version.
4: That's a bug, since I posted 0.2 I have fixed tons of bugs and I'm still working on that particular one!

Thank you so much for playing it, it really makes me happy to make something that can be enjoyed, even just by one person.
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 09:40
New version! 0.3

I managed to add all the features requested and fix the quest bug.
I was literally face desking after I fixed it, I set all quest progression to 0 every time I called the crossroads function!
I hope this version is more to your liking, I got tons done today!

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 11:37
Quote: "Thank you so much for playing it, it really makes me happy to make something that can be enjoyed, even just by one person. "

I'm sure more will follow. If not, I'm gonna force some friends to play it.

One question though, do you make your quests with some sort of quest-editor? Or is the gameworld hardcoded or something?

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 03:16 Edited at: 18th Feb 2011 11:03
Man will I be happy when newbie status is over.
Anyway, Sorry about the frequency of updates but here is 0.4 which fixes plenty of bugs and adds nice calm music to the game.
Everything is hardcoded as I am not quite to the level where I can make things like game editors and such.

EDIT: My newbie status is over! so here is a screen from the newest version to whet your apatite.

Attachments

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 13:00
0.5 is done.
This version see's the introduction of prestige classes!
Upon reaching level 10 you will get to select your prestige class.
Mage and fighter focus on stats while rogue focuses on gold and items!
Tell me if the ranger and burglar rewards are balanced or not, please.
Have fun!
PS: The download is in the first post!
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 13:04
Now that looks much better. Although having -2 healthpoints is rather unconventional, and the text seen in the last screenshot sounds pretty ironic. "The great Tamara will never be forgotton... 3 monsters slain, completet 0 quests...". Maybe you should change that text depending on the player's progress, but that's just nitpicking.

I'll try the current version as soon as I've got time.

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 09:18
Kind of dissapointed I only have 1 person testing the game.
Never-the-less, 0.6 is ready for download in the first post.
It includes some behind the scenes stuff and a brand spankin' new main menu.
Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
"Display using 32 bit hardware is not supported at line 0"

I'm guessing you hardcoded the screen resolution? Try starting it windowed, then using something like this

I'd review it if I could play it xD

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2011 03:29
Ohh so sorry about that, I think I was in the process of updating to AppUp standards and something blew up.
Try version 0.7, which is optimized for AppUp and includes a much prettier menu and quest number 2!
I really hope it works, tell me what you think please.
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 02:23
The game is complete!
It has been sent to appup and is in the beta phase, if anyone has a netbook and would like to Betatest, give me your email and I'll add you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 10:37:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 10:37:38