Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Multiplayer Support...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm throwing this out there, as there are probably many of us that have ideas implementing multiplayer for our apps. I know I definitely am.

Is this going to be a worthy feature for AppGameKit? Would many of us want to see any multiplayer capabilities?

It would be neat to get a game going similar to Words With Friends on the iPhone, or even games such as Mafia Wars, etc. I have also seen a game, can't think of the name, that allows players to join games and battle each other in real time.

Either way I will be using the AppGameKit, but I definitely want to make sure that multiplayer is discussed and considered.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 21:52
Answered in the FAQ:
Quote: "Q: Does AppGameKit allow networking so I can play games against other phones and platforms.
A: Not in version 1. This will be added later when all platforms have been dealt with. Multiplayer gaming is important to us and we will want to add this in the longer term."

Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it was a matter of time. I did read that FAQ. I still wanted to bring it up to see if it sparked any discussions with their game ideas.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 13:55
I sure want it badly

[center]
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 05:04
We are playing with a few 'simple' networking commands, but no promises We're currently adding network support to Tier 2 so it can transmit the apps live over the LAN, and because the interpreter is using Tier 1 wrapper commands, there is a good chance they will make it into the final core language. Watch this space (well, the newsletters).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 15:11
That sounds very promising Lee.
Multiplayer is a great feature for mobile devices, since they are geared for social networking.
I'm crossing my fingers!
If it has to be in a later version then that is fine, because newcomers like me will need some time to get a feel for the basics anyway.

Thanks

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 05:42
The good news from the battle field is that we've successfully written both fast TCP/IP and HTTPS functions in Tier 2 now, and they work great across our compiler/interpreter model already. Many of those commands will most likely trickle down to Tier 1 to allow direct connection between all devices on the local Wi-Fi network. The upshot is that you can write a few simple lines of code and get your multiplayer creation off the ground in minutes, no more messing about with server side scripts and whatnot. Just open a port in your firewall, host a session, get another device to join it, and start chatting away with app data and anything else you can think of. We already created a simple two player SmackIt demo across the LAN which took less than twenty lines of code We think you will like writing multiplayer games! Thanks to AppGameKit, you'll also be multi-device so you can be playing your game on your Windows PC and your friend can be on a Samsung Bada whilst your other friend can be on his iPhone (same app)

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 10:48
Quote: "...so you can be playing your game on your Windows PC and your friend can be on a Samsung Bada whilst your other friend can be on his iPhone (same app)"

SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about this kind of feature!!!

Just need to find some friends now...

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 11:42
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 16:18
Quote: "We think you will like writing multiplayer games! Thanks to AppGameKit, you'll also be multi-device so you can be playing your game on your Windows PC and your friend can be on a Samsung Bada whilst your other friend can be on his iPhone (same app) "

Funkadelic, baby! [/AustinPowersVoice]

I am going to re-write my old 2D multiplayer game for this.
I have more plans than time, but this is going to rock.

Thanks LEE, for taking the time to make this perfect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:54:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:54:24