Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9]Thanatophobia - {Scariest Horror Game Contest Entry}

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 21:26 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 16:57

Developer: Wolf

Description:

This game is some rushed, basic crap. I entered a contest and completely forgot about it... But hey! Its kind of a challenge for me to see what I could come up with in these few days.

I do not expect to win with it, Anyway! I entered so I delivered a game

Gameplay: Fight you're way out of the research labs.

Story :The fall of the third reich, Berlin: You play as Alexander Zoller, a german mechanic. You seeked shelter in an underground bunker structure during an air-raid attack. Unfortunately the door locked behind you and you have to find another way out. But soon you discover that you are not alone...really not alne.
Can you discover the truth and escape the underground nightmare?

Well...if not, you seriously screw at first person shooters

Screenshots

Overall development time: 10 hours

Important

*use the launcher to start the game (adjust you're settings)
*Bulletimpactsounds are from Relict and might sound strange
*do not even think of saving you're game... it is not supported and will most likely not work. You don't need it in a one level game anyway
*Special Thanks to Ertlov for helping me out with the build.

Video:

Download:

MEDIAFIRE MIRROR

So! Comments, Critics and other dramarama is welcome.

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 21:33
Great work as ever wolf good luck!

The Host Is Aware Of Your Presents

FOR THE LITTLE AFRO DUDE!
tokyomage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 22:16 Edited at: 27th Feb 2011 22:17
wow! this is looking somewhat better than euthanasia! (my opinion)

i forgot...
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
downloading it now about to check it out the screen shots look awsome! ill leave feedback after i play it!

[imghttp://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6489/sic1ne.jpg[/img]
[/img]
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 00:13 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 10:23
Wolf...Wolf, Wolf, Wolf.

While I downloaded the game I thought "How can I fairly review a game made in 10 hours? Or should I make a 10-second review consisting of a single sentence??"

Well....after playing it twice, I can relax and review as usual.

The Good:

- Level Design
Everything fits perfectly together. Segments, entities, props, doors, lights. In this game it looks easy - but it's definitely not.

- Room Building
Every room seems to be made with a plan behind. What's it for? Who uses it? What lighting is there needed? What kind of bad things could have happened in here? Accordingly nothing seems really out of place or illogical (at least for a Horror game). The only "mistake" is, that the facility should be at least 5 (FPSC)levels below ground to be safe from bombing.

- Atmosphere
Although a tad too dark for my taste, lighting is still realistic (after all its WW2 and the city is just getting bombed) and the sounds are great: air raid sirene, bombing, heavy breathing, screams...very good (I actually had to turn down the speaker volume for the duration of the air raid sirene). Although I wonder why you didn't use the "metal door" sounds from my scriptpack (after all you used some scripts)

- Fear Factor
A very scary level I have to admit. Everytime a room was brightly lit, it was a relieve. And (spoiler)

- Story
Finally a story told INGAME. Starting with an explanation how the player ended up here, over showing the protagonists thoughts in text message displays, over a final diary entry - this was storytelling as it should be.

EDIT: - Settings
FINALLY I can use my own control settings in a game!

The Bad:

- Playing Comfort
That "!" hud really was too small and if there are things to investigate, at least a tiny "dot" crosshair would be helpful. Also reading that elaborate weapon data can get the player killed, while adding nothing to the game.

The Ugly:

-Text Message Displays
Why are they written with_underscores_between_each_word???

On my personal FPSC game scale its a well-earned 4 out of 5 and I'd call it "A scary and exciting short story, where I'd like to experience the whole novel some day"

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline

The game doesnt end loading... it jams at almost the end.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
well... crap. i entered this contest too and -as usual- you have blown away the competition. great job.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 05:13
Quote: "So! Comments, Critics and other dramarama is welcome."

Great level Wolf. Makes me think twice about entering my game into the contest particularly when this is your rushed work....

Anyway, the only criticism I could possibly level at the game is that it was too dark, at one point I couldn't actually see where I needed to go until I adjusted my monitor.

Also could I ask how you got the player to freeze when the text pops up as if I use the plrfreeze (not exactly sure without looking what the actual command is) command it only lasts less than a second, even if I want it to stay longer.

A man will one day wear a tophat in glasgow on a sunny day juggeling grapes while humming the jurrasic park theme tune.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 08:45 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 16:03
Quote: "Also could I ask how you got the player to freeze when the text pops up"

Wolf used my AGSP scripts, which use plrdisable and a 3 sec timer for displaying the message - like this one, made for trigger zones:

It could be modified further to use etimer instead of the old global timer though.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 10:00
1. Thanks for the thanks, however, not necessary as it should be common sense to help each others out here.

2. Extremely scary and well-done game. As an contestant I won`t write a review on it, but I enjoyed it pretty much. Would now bet definately on you to win the contest.

3. Jesus Christ, we had some VERY similar ideas during making our games. You will see what I mean when you play mine!

Come to where the madness is:
http://www.homegrowngames.at
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 15:41
Quote: "The game doesnt end loading... it jams at almost the end."

I get this too... (BTW: Keep your weapons loaded, not you're, as you're = you are)

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 16:25
I can also report locking up at the end of loading.

Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
me 3... loads until the end, waited 15 mins still no action!
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 17:20
Let me guess: All of those who have stumbled into "endless waiting for loading finished" bug have 2Gb or less RAM, right?

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 17:24 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 17:27
Quote: "have 2Gb or less RAM"

I don't think that this bug's due to FPSC running out of memory.
My PC's straight from the stone age and only has 512 MB Ram and it's capable of running Thanatophobia just fine (with disabled post processing).

-Doomster

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 17:34
Quote: "Let me guess: All of those who have stumbled into "endless waiting for loading finished" bug have 2Gb or less RAM, right?"

Nope. I have 4GB Ram and I can't get past the loading screen, either.

Kravenwolf

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 17:38
I had no problems at all starting it with the launcher

FPS Creator Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I Found the Game way to dark and I Had to put my tv brigtness all the way up to see so you should add more lights all i play are scary games and this is missing a lot things you need first making everything dark does not make games scary its just annoying not being able so see anything and add more sound make the player feel somethings coming or somethings there even when theres nothing and the hud was to empty and the level looked to simple I Beleave your the best at fpsc but your not perfect
I Give it a 3.5/5

Matthew Torres
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
at FPS Creator games.

i've seen your levels and they are compared to wolf's

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "endless waiting for loading finished"

Try deleting the folder 'Texturebank' of the game

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 20:03 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 20:05
Fixed it. Deleted the imageblock.bin in the files folder and it loaded up fine

Kravenwolf

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 20:44
Quote: "I Found the Game way to dark and I Had to put my tv brigtness all the way up to see so you should add more lights all i play are scary games and this is missing a lot things you need first making everything dark does not make games scary its just annoying not being able so see anything and add more sound make the player feel somethings coming or somethings there even when theres nothing and the hud was to empty and the level looked to simple I Beleave your the best at fpsc but your not perfect
I Give it a 3.5/5"

For gods sake, when will you have learnt to use punctuation???

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 20:55 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 21:15
@all who have trouble getting past the loadingscreen:

"Fixed it. Deleted the imageblock.bin in the files folder and it loaded up fine"

thanks to kravenwolf.

If that does not work: delete the texturebank folder

thanks to D0MINIK

@xilith117: I stick to my word and, in case I win, I will only keep the title and hand over all prices to second place.

@theStoryteller01: Thanks a lot for the Review. I do always enjoy reading them and I'm glad you liked it.

Quote: "
Why are they written with_underscores_between_each_word???"

For some reason, the builded game did not display the sentences correctly, it only spelled the first word. So I had to make sure every sentence will be interpreted as a single word.

Quote: "I Found the Game way to dark and I Had to put my tv brigtness all the way up to see so you should add more lights all i play are scary games and this is missing a lot things you need first making everything dark does not make games scary its just annoying not being able so see anything and add more sound make the player feel somethings coming or somethings there even when theres nothing and the hud was to empty and the level looked to simple I Beleave your the best at fpsc but your not perfect
I Give it a 3.5/5"

Dude, it would be helpfull if you try to add punctuation to you're sentences... its really uncomfortable to read these chaotic bits of text.

Thanks for you're opinion though.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 21:09
Just played through the level, and it was awesome! The grungy visual style, the atmosphere and the sounds were great. The replacement of the old gun sounds was a very welcome diversion, I've gotten really tired of FPSC's weak standard sounds.

Some few things were not as great though, mostly small things.
The level was generally too dark and was occasionally hard to navigate. A little bit higher ambience or a few more small lights here and there would help a lot.
The monster closets/rooms were kind of dull. They were just dark and empty and didn't feel like they fit in with the otherwise well decorated scenery.
Lastly, you typed "you're" instead of "your" in some messages in the game. Yeah, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, only very lightly though.

Other than that, excellent work!

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 22:31
Quote: "3. Jesus Christ, we had some VERY similar ideas during making our games. You will see what I mean when you play mine!"

...Just played the game. It seems there are a few commons between the entrants of this constant. I have some similarities in my game aswell.

C++ is labourless... if your name starts with 'L' and ends with 'ee'.
Delusional Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 23:13
Wolf m8, I played the game and all I can say, awesome, I had two or three small jumps but important is that is very good.
You have great chances at winning.
PS. Why do you people have so dark games? I could barely see a thing.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 02:46 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 02:48
I can't even play it and boy am I sad. I wonder if its because I'm
running 64-bit Windows 7? The Launch.exe crashed when it tried to load.
I tried Windows XP compatibility mode and admin permissions. It still fails.

Anyone else using 64 bit OS and having trouble loading? I severely doubt it is my system hardware (can be found below).

AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Extreme RAM,
ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard, Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB DDR5
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 07:13 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 07:14
Quote: "grammar nazi"
lol ok i wont joke about this
i tried the game again and it was really good, i liked to see a ww2 game, even when it was horror . You also did a great job on the shaders and gun sounds. if i may rate it would be 9/10 (because it was a tad too dark )

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 07:22
Quote: "Anyone else using 64 bit OS and having trouble loading?"

No it ran fine on my Windows 7 64bit.

A man will one day wear a tophat in glasgow on a sunny day juggeling grapes while humming the jurrasic park theme tune.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 07:59
i used windows 7 64 bit, no problems

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 13:56
Quote: "Windows 7"

Using SP1 by any chance? Lee has confirmed, that the currently available FPSC Versions aren't compatible with that one, and this compatibility bug has been fixed for 1.18 Beta 10, which isn't yet released.

-Doomster

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 16:58
For everyone who was unable to play it but would like to take a look:

Video:

Please watch in HD

-Wolf

3Bit
Years of Service
User Offline
This is great dude. Nice job.

3Bit
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 17:32 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 17:32
Got it working! I must say it was propably the freakiest FPSC game i've played so far! But there was still some problems...

Like in the last part. When the guy said they were coming and he has to get out. Well, I thought the zombies were gonna spawn infinite times., so I just ran away from them, and when I got to the last door, where I could get out, the text appeared (the "omg I can't believe I made it" one) and the zombies and the alien were just punching me in the back... :/ And when you get the gun, when the first zombies appeared, I didn't actually have time to take the pistol yet, and then there was this zombie screaming and ofcourse I ran out of the room and noticed there were more zombies. Yay! I actually ran into the starting room and got stuck on the door, becouse the zombies were blocing it... I had to circle around them some times and then I got pass. And the design wasn't your best, but it was still fabulous and actually... I can't picture this game done in some other style TBH... so in the end, it was a great job done!
But the text system (as much as it was well done) kinda didn't work for me... the player freezed for too long IMO and I think it would have been better if you could have pressed enter even after the last piece of text when you have read it, so that you don't have to stand there getting beatern up. And the gun huds I also didn't like all that much. I really didn't have time to read the text in the first attack, when I pick up the pistol and that's what got me comfused, when there was a zombie behind me screaming and all that stuff going on... :/ The health system in the other hand was great! Props for that!

And the good:
The sounds were amazing! From all the zombie screams to the bombing on hte background! When FPS Creator Games said there wasn't enough sounds (atleast that's what I got from his/her text)I don't know what he/she was talking about, becouse the sounds were propably the best part of this game! You just turned the ambience to the max right from the beginning! And the retexturing of (almost?) everything is GREAT! I love what you've done with these characters and segments and everything! Great job!
The level desing is awesome, I especially loved the first puzzle in the beginning. I would have hoped for more and I actually was waiting for more puzzles like that... The lighting was again top notch (<-- is that how you write it? or is it without the "t"?) not too dark so that you can't see anything, but not too bright to kill the mood. And this game obviously was ment to be played in the dark I really don't like numbers, but I'm gonna use the REAL Angry Joe way to give scores, where 5 is average:

8/10! A great horror game, with fabulous mood and scary feeling troughout the game! As Storyteller01 said, there was that Romero feeling going on near the end! There's just couple of things that are bugging in the game. I take 2 points away for the hud on the gun and some lag when the zombies in the start were chasing me, and thentthe text that IMO stayed in the screen for too long. But I got to go to eat now so bye!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 17:34
You're bound and determined to grab this year's VBOTB....aren't you?

Awesome work!

-Keith

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 17:40
I still refuse to write a review untill the contest is over, it would be more than strange to do that. However, Wolf has given all a run for the money (which money? *g*) and made us look like n00bs.

Kill him.

Now!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 18:30 Edited at: 1st Mar 2011 18:45
Quote: "Using SP1 by any chance? Lee has confirmed, that the currently available FPSC Versions aren't compatible with that one, and this compatibility bug has been fixed for 1.18 Beta 10, which isn't yet released."

I'm using Windows 7 64-Bit Professional. I never installed SP1
so I don't think it has to do with any Service pack issues. Well,
I've installed virtual PC 2007 and installed Windows Xp. I'm going to
see how that favors. I'd rather play the game then watch the video to
be honest.

AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Extreme RAM,
ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard, Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB DDR5
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 12:16
@MetalDevil123: Thanks for the review and the hint on the faults. However, I do still have to comment them:

Quote: "Like in the last part. When the guy said they were coming and he has to get out. Well, I thought the zombies were gonna spawn infinite times., so I just ran away from them, and when I got to the last door, where I could get out, the text appeared (the "omg I can't believe I made it" one) and the zombies and the alien were just punching me in the back... :/"

That wasn't really my fault, was it? But know this: I never spawn infinite enemies. In my games, there is always some place where they would come from / reason for them to be there. I hate these arcade shooters where enemies spawn out of nowwhere just for its sake

Quote: "And when you get the gun, when the first zombies appeared, I didn't actually have time to take the pistol yet, and then there was this zombie screaming and ofcourse I ran out of the room and noticed there were more zombies. Yay!"

I wanted the player to be surprised by the enemie while readin the guns description. However, I didn't think about the possibilitie that someone would not take the gun I guess some basic melee weapon from the shelves would have been a good idea then.

Quote: " The level desing is awesome, I especially loved the first puzzle in the beginning. I would have hoped for more and I actually was waiting for more puzzles like that... "

I planned to do that. But the memory cap came in my way so I had to finnish the game as I didn't want to get rid of the final shooting sequence.

Quote: "not too dark so that you can't see anything, but not too bright to kill the mood"

Thank you...future games will be brighter on popular request though

Quote: "8/10! A great horror game, with fabulous mood and scary feeling troughout the game! As Storyteller01 said, there was that Romero feeling going on near the end! There's just couple of things that are bugging in the game. I take 2 points away for the hud on the gun and some lag when the zombies in the start were chasing me, and thentthe text that IMO stayed in the screen for too long. But I got to go to eat now so bye!"

Thanks for the review dude! party on!
@KeithC:
Quote: "You're bound and determined to grab this year's VBOTB....aren't you?

Awesome work!"

We'll see! Thank you!

@Ertlov:
Quote: " I still refuse to write a review untill the contest is over, it would be more than strange to do that."

See it on 5th march then

@ASTEK: Did you try the whole deleting texturebank/imageblock.bin and starting in a lower resolution stuff?

-Wolf

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 12:32
atm this is the best game of the compo (IMO)

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 13:09
thank you!

Lets see what the others will come up with till 5th march

-Wolf

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 16:07
Quote: "See it on 5th march then "

Promised. I can already tell you what I liked best:

The Background Sounds. They created really an intense, extremely believable "Dresden, February 1945" feeling (allthough the story takes place in Berlin, I know).

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 12:05
A bit of Camshaking and falling down rubble and dust would have perfected it

Thank you though I liked that best myself.
I think the last room where that disformed human is was the part that I screwed up most

-Wolf

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 14:05
Quote: "I planned to do that. But the memory cap came in my way "

Damn... but the final shooting sequence was fabulous!
Quote: " had to finnish "

You sure dide have to finnish XD

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 14:57
Quote: "Damn... but the final shooting sequence was fabulous! "

It was! Had a decent "last stand" feeling in it.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 09:40
Played it, it was pretty creepy because I hate the sound of air raid sirens, it's just something that is unsettling to me, hospitals and medical labs like that also creep me out, and I played it at midnight in the dark.

Though, some of the scare factor was lost because my crappy computer lagged everytime an enemy was spawned.

Was definetly fun, it felt really damp and cold, I liked it.

-Vent

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 14:27
Allright,

as the contest is over, I`ll now give you my review and compare this game (in a very subjective way of course) with mine.

1. Story / Outline

Very good background story, and especially players who are familiar with the bombardements of German cities end of WW2 will get a decent "horror" feeling out of that alone. Is a little bit more creative and a huge share more unusual than mine.

2. Story Progression / Storytelling

Still quite good, but here I`d love to have more ingame storytelling telling the thoughts of the character or revealing more what`s going on in there. Here I like mine more.

3. GFX / Design

VERY GOOD WORK on the surrounding, wall textures, retexturing of the weapons e.t.c.
The corner with the X-Rays and the medical equip was most likely the best scene I`ve ever seen in an FPSC game, extremely believable. However, the zombies couldn`t get even to the expectations risen by the environment and the scenery was a little bit TOO dark. In GFX terms, I`d see a slight advance for my game.

4. Sound Design

I obey the master. The air raid sirene was extremely well used and the sound of reloading the mp40 is 100% perfect. I may have some good voice acting in my game, but here you take the lead.

5. Gamplay

Yeah, I felt yours is better. I can admit that, although this time I believe I came pretty close by using some puzzles (the first one being the same as yours, LOL) - but you made the shootouts with the attacking waves really good.

6. HUDS & Backdrops:

Mine are ugly, yours are great.
It`s really that simple.
Although I`d have loved to see more and better indications on what can be done when stumbling upon something interesting.

SUMMARY:

Based upon a Game Magazines 100% scale, I`d give your game 78% (and thus slightly more than mine).

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 01:04
Very good background story, and especially players who are familiar with the bombardements of German cities end of WW2 will get a decent "horror" feeling out of that alone. Is a little bit more creative and a huge share more unusual than mine."

All thanks to the athmosphere I guess... I doubt that anyone would publish a novel with that storyline...but thanks.

Yes, the horrors of WW² always fascinated me ... perhaps because there are so much myths and uncleared cases.

Still quite good, but here I`d love to have more ingame storytelling telling the thoughts of the character or revealing more what`s going on in there. Here I like mine more."

Yes! Mine is a bit too fixed on "getting out"...Even though I have to add that you had the advantage of you're character talking to his supervisor while mine was alone.

Quote: "In GFX terms, I`d see a slight advance for my game."

I don't I guess this is the only point I don't agree with you You're game relys too much on the postprocessing to me.

I obey the master. The air raid sirene was extremely well used and the sound of reloading the mp40 is 100% perfect. I may have some good voice acting in my game, but here you take the lead."

Thank you I have to add that there was no real part in you're game where you could have used such ambient sounds, so its a but unfair to say that mine was a lot better...but weapon and player sounds should have been changed in yours

Quote: "Although I`d have loved to see more and better indications on what can be done when stumbling upon something interesting."

Yes... I should add some hint to my game relict aswell, there is no indication of interactive objects whatsoever...a great flaw me thinks =/

Based upon a Game Magazines 100% scale, I`d give your game 78% (and thus slightly more than mine)."

Thanks for the detailed review ertlov To be honest, I would have rated my game far lower

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 17:46
You can check out the game on Moddb too now

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline