Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / {x9] Paranormal Mysteries -Humanoid Investigation-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 18:35 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 07:32

Developer: MetalDevil123

Version: FPSC x9

Description:
So! This is back! And it's just been... like 1 and a half years or what? I think no-one was acutally waiting forward to this, but maby it's a good thing, as no-one was expecting this
You still play as the same character as in the first game. And if you wonder what the game is:
Paranormal Mystery -Red Eyed Rats- you can find it on the second page here on Showcase.

Story:
I have been reported about an old abandoned warehouse of some sort. An old bum told me he saw some himan-like creatures moving around there. He believes whatever's moving there, came from outer-space. I kinda think he's gone crazy, but who am I to blame. This is my job, so I quess I'm just as crasy as him...
(yes that is all)

Screenshots:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?iqkx1vcm3dz8l94

If you want to contact me, my email is listed next to the profile button.

Notes:
There's alot gone wrong with this game too... you have to keep your damn Ctrl down when you go through the vent door, if you don't your head will pop out from the top and you can see outside the map (kinda). And there would be this text on screen system going on, but TextEase was bugging me... And this is my first game that uses fog... and it'll propably be the last one to do that I don't remember much more ATM, but I will update when something comes up.
OH! This game got inspiration from a certain Tool song. The song is playing in the main menu and I think it's really cool and fitting, it has a disturbing feel to it and I think it's awesome. If you want to hear that piece, it's called:
Faaip De Oiad
Aaand what else? I think that's all...

Feedback welcome!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 20:39
Looks great,I played it,was fun but I just didn't know where to go so I had to look around. The entity placement is pretty cool,I am happy to still see my entities put to an use.

I love it,wanna see it go further,I want to talk to you,you should add me to MSN.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 07:06 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 07:30
Quote: "Looks great,I played it,was fun but I just didn't know where to go so I had to look around. The entity placement is pretty cool,I am happy to still see my entities put to an use."

Thanks. I wanted it to be a bit of an exploration game, so it's cool that you went looking around.
Quote: "I love it,wanna see it go further,I want to talk to you,you should add me to MSN."

I am planning to take this series further. But I never use MSN

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 12:00 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 12:01
I just played the game 3 times and here is my review. [ATTENTION: More SPOILERS than usual in a review]

The Good:

- Atmosphere
The grained camera hud, the use of fog, the wide corridors and the sound create much tension - especially the background sound, it's one of the best I've heard in any game. I turned around quite often, because I thought I "heard" something behind me. The addition of several outside areas (rarely done in FPSC horror games)also added that touch of "realism" and that feeling from X-files or Fringe, that the strangest things happen right under our noses.

- Non-Linearity
The level is so large that it feeds the illusion, that you can roam freely. There are also multiple paths sometimes and areas you don't need to go to. I even managed to get lost on my first run.

The Bad:

- No Feeling of Progress
It's nice to have something else to do, than just "find a way out" but unfortunately I get no sign, that I am doing my job of investigating + documenting right. In fact it doesn't matter if I take some effort to get close enough to every alien corpse to take a picture because I am not taking any pictures. I am sure a script can be made that gives the illusion of a flash (bright white screen for 2 secs?) and a digicam sound when "F" is pressed at the right distance of a body. At the end of the level it was just a win zone I guess.

- Consistency & Logic
Another case of "coolness before logic". Red kerosin lamps don't match with alien corpse examinations. There should have also been some cooling facilities and a LOT more medical stuff.

- Cam Hud vs Weapons
The cam hud is so nicely unique, but it shouldn't stay up when a weapon is taken, because it completely destroys the illusion of the player holding the camera.

The Ugly:

- Blackboxes
Lighting and fog are cool but whatever the settings - every dynamic object turned black. And while the large boxes could be used to climb, the small boxes seemed to have no use, except for being destroyed.

Overall it's a 2.5 out of 5 on my personal game scale and I'd call it " A game with a lot of potential to create a unique experience and storyline, but a lot of work has to be done to get there."

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 13:02
Quote: "No Feeling of Progress"

Thanks, I will try to come up with something for the next episode

Quote: "Cam Hud vs Weapons"

You're absolutely right... I will try to go with the Punumbra style of no weapons, but objects can be thrown at enemies to slow them down.

Quote: "Blackboxes"

yes, I noticed that too... I forgot to get rid of the smaller boxes. I will try to get the dynamic boxes and other dynamic entities to show up the next time around.

Thanks for all your feedback, it will be useful in my future games!

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 21:09 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 21:11
Short personal review

First Impression 9/10
That black text could have used a small artistic touch up, the loading bar as well. Aside of this, quite well done, especially the starting location.

Gameplay 5/10
Although the level is quite interesting to investigate, and some 'puzzles' are quite tricky, I died two times long before seeing an enemy, falling out of the map. The enemy placement could also have been improved easily so they avoid running against opened doors

Graphics 7/10
Good texture usage, and very atmospheric environment. However, using some basic shaders like lightmaps on the lamps would make it look even better, and some more details in the hallways would be nice in my personal view.

Sound 5/10
Most of it is the well-known average stuff. Which isn't really bad. Good usage of music, however.

My personal rating: 6,5/10

Quite nice to play!

born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks.Very intersting.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 15:08
Sorry, I didn't see that someone commented this before

Quote: "I died two times long before seeing an enemy, falling out of the map"

Sorry, I didn't run into this kinda places, altho I tried to look for them Thanks for the heads up though.

Quote: "using some basic shaders like lightmaps on the lamps would make it look even better"

I turned shaders off, 'cause every segment and entity with a shader didn't get affected by the fog

Quote: "Most of it is the well-known average stuff. Which isn't really bad. Good usage of music, however."

Thanks, my current project will have more emphasis on lighting (I used a translator on that "emphasis" word, so I hope it means what I want it to mean )

Thanks for the review and the feedback!

Quote: "Thanks.Very intersting."

Thank you

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont download many fpsc games, altough this is looking pretty cool, downloading. Will comment later.

bekli23
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 22:42
nice

bekli23
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 13:11
Quote: "I dont download many fpsc games, altough this is looking pretty cool, downloading. Will comment later."

Thanks I'd like to hear what you think about it

Quote: "nice"

Thanks.

gozzy1999
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 18:09
awesome i love it

Andrew gosling
born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work.
How do you make the fog?

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 16:33
Quote: "awesome i love it"

Thank you
Quote: "Very nice work.
How do you make the fog?"

Thanks.
I make the fog by going to Global Script and there putting "fog active" to 1 (I don't know if you can put higher values to make the fog more "thick" but I used 1) and there you can mess around with the Fog Blue, Green and Red to make different colours of fog. I put them all to 255 to get a gray fog, I think, this is the first and last game I've used fog in so far, so not really familiar with that stuff.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Metal Devil123 do u know if i change my fog settings for fog can i use it for only 1 level or will all my levels have fog untill i change the settings back?

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 13:04
Quote: "do u know if i change my fog settings for fog can i use it for only 1 level or will all my levels have fog untill i change the settings back?"

With this stock fog, I think your every level in the same .exe game will have fog, but with scripting it would be possible to have different sorts of fog in different levels. You just have to search, as I know nothing about this stuff to be honest

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 08:55
Nice work MD... long time no see, where have you been. I might play this and (might; time permitting) write a review

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 09:52
Quote: "Nice work MD... long time no see, where have you been"

Thanks. I had this one point when I wasn't doing FPSC almost at all, becouse... well... I actually don't know. There was nothing important going on actually, I just didn't get any inpiration. But I'm happy to tell that at this moment I'm working on Zombified again and trying to get something out of Entomophobia.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 14:24 Edited at: 28th Aug 2011 17:47
Hello Metal Devil.I just played the game and now here the review.

Level Design=Level design was really great and it was fit in this game.
and the level is big but you managed to design it well.8/10

Gameplay=I sorry to say this but this game is bit boring.5/10 but I think
it could be improve.

Atmosphere=Atmosphere was really great and fit with this game.Well done
9/10.

OVERALL 7/10 (B+)
The zombie is not scared at all.Try to retexture the zombie,it would be great.I think its a best game but there are more need to be improved like gameplay.If gameplay not best and people will said "I boring with this game" anyway try to add more action and fun next time.Well done

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 22:57
Thanks for your feedback I really didn't intend this game to be all "action and fun" but still, thank you for your feedback, it will help me in the future.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 17:53 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 18:00
first: TOOL is botb, definitely, i had to say this. live the absolute best i ever heard.

second: nice optics, good idea, but as said the illusion of filming all this is not given. of course you can work around with triggered pic/sound-snippets by your crew ("hey, nice shot buddy, zoom this up a bit" via headset or anything else like this).

i also tried around with the shader/fog-prob, but even the ps3-shaders dont work (i thought bond1 has written anything like this in the thread when i downloaded, and i was jumping up from my chair smiling like an idiot, but ... nothing...mmmph
Ankhranum
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got a "parameter is not correct"-error. =(
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 17:50
Quote: "maho76"

Thanks for your feeback, I will try to improve on these points.

Quote: "I've got a "parameter is not correct"-error. =( "

Never heard of this... At what point does this happen?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 07:50 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 19:51
I think its sad that Showcase games get so few comments here recently. I'm going to try this out and then maybe
leave a few words on how my experience went. I will edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT:

I never could get it to load. It always told me a parameter was incorrect. Sorry.

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
RonsWare
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 12:34
I've got the parameter is not correct also
it is at the start of the game.

Programming is learning
RonsWare
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 12:50
I've have the same problem.
Parameter incorrect at the start.

Programming is learning
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 20:25
I have no idea what's going on there, but I'll try to search if there's any help for that...

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 23:24 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 23:24
I checked my downloaded copy called "paranormal2" 29.01.2011 and it ran without problems

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 23:01
Ooh, I love alien games! I want to play!

But, alas, mediafire won't let me download it! I keep clicking on the "Start your download" button (or whatever it's called) and it keeps saying "Your download is starting...". Then the page refreshes and I start the process all over again.

Too bad you can't just attach the game here. I can download stuff off the forums without a problem.

If someone could attach some screenshots to a few posts, that would be fantastic. I'm sorry for sounding like a free-loader, but I've tried and tried and I can't get it to work. I really want to see what everyone is talking about! Thanks in advance!

Captain Coder

One of the most humbling days in your life will be the day you discover you AREN'T the best at what you love to do.
- Me
RonsWare
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 10:27
I think te problem is solved.

I use windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

If the game is compiled on a little older compiler you get this
error.

I got no problems with programes compiled on my one system

I hope this helped.

Ron.

Happy gaming all of you

Programming is learning
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 20:28
Ran the game without any issues.

I loved the look of it and the HUD is excellent.

It might be worth revising the English on the loading screen 'I have been reported about...' -- but not sure it really matters that much.

I got a little lost at times, so maybe a couple of signs might help orientation?

What I liked most about it was that it looked unique, which is a major achievement.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 18:55
Yeah, my english really sucks

I will try to solve those problems as soon as I get home

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 23:58
Quote: "I got a little lost at times, so maybe a couple of signs might help orientation?"

I strongly disagree.

FPSC games usually are small-spaced and as linear as the Transsibirean Railroad. I found it very refreshing and quite an achivement to have a map where I could get lost

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 05:25 Edited at: 16th Sep 2011 05:33
YES!!! I finally got it downloaded!

Now for a brief review. [EDIT] Oh, wow, that wasn't as brief as I thought it would be. [/EDIT]

Atmosphere: 8/10
- I liked the fog! It added a creepy element, because you can't always see well ahead of you. In some cases, you can't see ahead at all; just a grey wall.
- Excellent attention to detail; the numerous old boxes, the empty and overturned shelves, the scattered crates, palettes, and barrels, all good! I did have a thought during game play that went something like, "Is this what a real abandoned warehouse would look like?"
- The ambient sounds were fantastic! Very creepy and fits the alien theme of the game. In a horror game with a lot of lag (see comments in Game Play,) the traditional tricks of having objects fall in front of the player from the dark don't work as well, as everything is slowed down and the surprise is foiled. However, having out-of-this-world ambient music will totally make up the difference. Your game had out-of-this-universe ambience, which did an excellent of making the game spooky, despite the lack of surprises.
- Some very seldom odd lighting issues, where it would seem a light was originating from no-where.
- Zombie/alien/whatever wasn't scary just standing there around the corner. To fix that, I would suggest:
> Have the player enter a long corridor and have the zombie spawn aways down it.
> Then delete any references in the zombie's properties to any sounds, and that includes scripts.
> This way, when the player walks down the corridor, full of fog, it will appear as if the zombie/alien/whatever is walking straight towards the player out of the fog. Oh, I can imagine the shear horror. The unknown, coming out of the spooky fog. Just classic.

Gameplay: 3/10
- Lag was very bad; you had 10 FPS at worst and maybe, 13 or 14 FPS at best. This took away some of the scariness of the game.
- The generalized, almost unclear, objectives added to the creepiness of the game, which was good. Investigating something unknown (aliens) is already scary enough, but not really even knowing what you are doing? Can give some people the shivers. It can scare some people to the point where they are terrified of moving from the very spot they are in. I probably would've had that reaction as well, except I've used FPSC for about a year and I know at least some of the tricks and tips behind the game, since I use the same engine
- I could not find the gun! VERY BAD!!! (Hence the low score) Where is the gun, anyway?
- I noticed you had some dynamic boxes, which appeared black in-game. I know that the larger one was necessary to complete the level, but I don't know what the smaller ones were for. Perhaps it would have been better for them to be static, as it looks like a bug to the person who doesn't use FPSC.
- I did not have to hold down the control button when traveling through the vent. Which is a good thing!
- Grained camera HUD was awesome!
- I thought the lamp was cool, but The Storyteller 01 is right, it doesn't fit. And why are there medical tools, out on their trays and awaiting usage, in a warehouse??
- The exploration element was wonderful, but I got lost and couldn't figure out how to get to the vent, so I restarted the game, and then it occured to me that I ought to try getting another box and jumping on top of it to get to the vent. If you were to remake this game, I suggest you use voices and sound zones to give small hints to the player as to where to go. Just generalized things like, "I wonder if I can get into that vent up there. Maybe there are some aliens inside," will give the player a hint of what they are supposed to do.

Screens (Menu,Loading,etc.): 6/10
- I liked how you told the user to find something in the fridge on the loading screen since it might take a while to load. Very amusing, and considerate, I might add. By the way, it did not take long to load at all.
- The actual images don't really seem to match the overall theme of the game. I might reccommend grey or something darker for your next game.
- The background music for the loading and menu screens doesn't really seem to match the games as much as I thought it would. It has a really creepy, UFO-like tone to it up front, but then it breaks into drums and it just kind of ruins everything. Except for the former Area 51 employee part that comes in a little while after that. That was good.
- I like how you defined the objectives in a very brief, to-the-point, bullet points list (As I said above.)
- Excellent little message you put on the GAME OVER screen, it adds to the player's sense of failure and spurs him on to try it again to WIN!

Story: 1/10
- Story? What story? Oh, yeah, you had the loading screen.

Bugs:
- The only bug I had was when I tried to start up the application away from the folder it resided in. If I tried to start it from the start menu, I would get: "Init error: Genre unknown."
- That's all I found! However, I did not try the save game feature, because it is typically so buggy, so we will see if anything comes up from it.

Quote: "The cam hud is so nicely unique, but it shouldn't stay up when a weapon is taken, because it completely destroys the illusion of the player holding the camera."

Same here.

Quote: "I'd call it " A game with a lot of potential to create a unique experience and storyline, but a lot of work has to be done to get there.""

Same here.

Quote: "There should have also been some cooling facilities "

Umm, could you explain that? I'm not sure what you mean by a "cooling facility."

However, when you average it all out, it comes to a pretty good 5/10. Great job, I'm happy to see a game like this!

Signing off,
Captain Coder

One of the most humbling days in your life will be the day you discover you AREN'T the best at what you love to do.
- Me
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 07:57
Quote: "Umm, could you explain that? I'm not sure what you mean by a "cooling facility.""

Something to preserve the bodies.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 23:19 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 23:21
Sigh..... THIRD time I'm writing this, as I'm not used to typing with my laptop, so I always press the shortcuts to go to previous page or close the tab or something, so here we go:

I've taken all your criticism to consideration and will try to improve on everything in the next episode (yes, there will be another) and I'm going to go with the level design that's not all that linear where you can get lost (hopefully won't overdo it ) and the gun can be found in the room with the ceiling windows, it's sitting on the table.

It's late here and it's the third time I'm trying to post this, so excuse me, if there's typing errors and such (this laptop "mouse" impersonator just annoys the hell out of me... just wanted for you to know)

EDIT: I had some explanation for the surgical equipment, but I honestly forgot to say anything about it in the game and now have forgotten why they were in there, so it must have not been a very good reason...

Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 23:36
@The Storyteller 01: Oh! Yeah, that makes sense. Good point!

@Metal Devil 123: Yeah, it will take some time to get used to a laptop keyboard. I use my laptop all the time, and now I have trouble typing on desktops because I don't press the keys hard enough! I've learned that if you don't want to "click" on anything via the mouse pad while typing, avoid letting your hands/wrists resting on the computer, or keep them well away from from the mousepad. You'll get used to it eventually. I know I did.

Anyway, thank you for taking our critical thoughts kindly and putting them to good use. Thank you for telling me where the gun was! If I find it was right under my nose, I will boost your gameplay score! When I fix my FPSC, I will go ahead and take some screenshots, showcasing the idea for the alien/zombie/whatever that I outlined in my not-so-short review.

As for the surgical equipment, I understand how we all forget why we put something in the level. Been there, done that! It does actually kinda make sense that you have that stuff in there, because the dead aliens do have ripped-open chests exposing intact organs, so surgical equipment probably was actually good, it just would've been better close to the aliens.

I'm looking forward to the next episode! I probably won't download it though. I got this one downloaded because I was at this place where it had phenomenal internet speed (gotta love DSL!), and was able to download it without a problem. Not so the case anymore

Thanks for listening to us!
Captain Coder

- Me
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 11:45
No problem Yes, I am used to resting my wrists when writing with a regular keyboard, so I just keep clicking away with a laptop But I'm learning this

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:06:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:06:55