Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Time Phase (Scariest Horror Game Contest)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 00:35 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 09:50
Time-Phase - Scariest Horror Game Contest Entry

Hello there forum dwellers.

Intro:
Time-Phase is set during World War II. A desperate Britain is under threat from a Nazi invasion, and has turned to developing powerful new (and also fictional ) technologies for the war effort. One of these technologies is Time-Phase. Time-Phase allows an individual to be transferred through time, and then via the same portal, transferred back.

Storyline:
You play as agent 0034, the first test subject for Time-Phase. You are to be transferred forward in time 31 days when you will be given details of Nazi activities over the last month. The plan is that you will return to your original time with that knowledge, and prevent the Nazi invasion. However, things don't work out. As soon as you exit the portal it becomes evident that something is wrong. You cannot travel back as there is no power. Trapped in an underground military base, with no-one else around, you learn of the events of the last month. A new virus has caused chaos, and the near extinction of the human race. It soon becomes apparent that you are not alone, and that you must find a way out before the underground research base becomes your tomb.

Development:
This game was designed not to use shaders, but because of the common use of them nowadays I threw my fancy light-maps to the wind and modified bond1's segment shader to a less glossy concrete version, suitable for my needs. If you do not have a PS3.0 card, but still want to play the game then disable the use of shaders in the setup.ini file. You should still have a nicely lit game.

Although I used some stock media, all segments (save one floor, and ceiling) are my own work . Any media I have used has been modified to either support shaders, or has been re-textured. The only exception is the characters and weapons, because I like them the way they are.

Note:
If you play the game, at the end of the level when you are infected and lose your weapons scroll to the unarmed pose. Not that it is necessary, it just adds to the feel of the game. Unfortunately, weapons cannot be selected via script in FPSC yet.

Anyway... Download!

Enjoy!

C++ is labourless... if your name starts with 'L' and ends with 'ee'.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 01:26
Quote: "Unfortunately, weapons cannot be selected via script in FPSC yet"

Who told you that?

Anyway, I get a 404 Error when clicking on the download link, but the screenshots look pretty good. Good luck in the comp.

Kravenwolf

born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
That must be a hard work to finish this game.Good luck.

http://bornforgame.webnode.com
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 09:47 Edited at: 5th Mar 2011 09:55
Oops... got the URL wrong

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 16:00
Tested it,interesting game. The notes were good,the story was interesting. Theres only one thing that killed the game,it was the lag on some parts. Good use of zombies,maybe a retexture would improve things.

Oh also one thing,the zombie at the end killed me waaaay too fast,is it supposed to be like that?

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 16:38
Quote: "Oh also one thing,the zombie at the end killed me waaaay too fast,is it supposed to be like that?"

Yep. It's part of the 'alternate ending' scenario. Either way, you die ;D

Also, at what points did the game lag?

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 17:42
In quite some points,but usually when enemies are around.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 03:24 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 03:28
I just played Time Phase 3 times and her is my review.

The Good:

- storytelling
The base story is by far more ambitious than the average FPSC horror game and a lot of effort has been put into telling it ingame with notes and voiceovers, which are well done. In addition the player has no motivation problem - at first he's got a job to do and then he's with his back to the wall, fighting to survive.

- fear factor
There wasn't anything new but music & lighting was good, reading the notes did build up tension and the clever enemy placing got me a couple of times.

The Bad:

- level design
The whole level is very bland. The choice of segments isn't bad but some diversity would have been a lot better. The props are randomly threwn throughout the level and repeat themselves to often. Some light entities used in 1 level height rooms where obviously meant for 2-level high rooms.

- story
Although well told, the story itself lacks any logic. The player is sent to the future armed with a knife? And the doctors notes are inconsistent. Starting with "If you read this you are the only surviving human" over the doctors doing some experiments until he seems to find the creatures weakness (if nearly no one has survived uninfected - who cares?), and then humanity is still doomed?? And all that in 31 days??? Sometimes a shroud of mystery is better than trying to explain everything.

The Ugly

- bugged enemies
In one room the enemies are stuck on the floor (happened on all three runs, I guess it's the large blood decal there). One enemy was invisible on all three runs (I apologize, if that is on purpose - but then the doctor's notes should give a better hint to this).

- cell
There is a cell with a steel door and extra bars in front of them. Yet the glass to this room can be broken with a knife...

Overall it's a hard earned 2 out of 5 on my personal game scale and I'd call it "A scary little horror game that tries to tell an ambitious story but ends up as a confusioning run-of-the-mill zombie shooter."

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 17:17
You know you do remember that I have given out prizes to ALL the participants right?

Abdul Ahad

Caveman1985
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2011 07:59
Hello JRH. I actually liked the story of your game even though I couldn't play past the very beginning because the game lagged very badly on my computer. I have an Athlon X3 445, 3GB DDR3 Ram, ATI HD 5770 1024, Win XP. Is my PC too slow?

Kind Regards, Caveman

favorite websites: www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net & cracked.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:45:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:45:40