Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A W.I.P that you'll want to see...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 19:41
Here's a quick run down of where I'm at...

(A link for my video is at the bottom.)

About 5 years ago, I got sick of my dead end job, came home and started writing, designing, editing and creating. I've had friends do a couple of demos to check out how the world map would end up but nothing to hand out to the masses.

If I can get the money together I'd like to get Hero Engine for final production (at this point $5,000 might as well be $50k or $500k to me). I'm still deciding on what to use for a demo but it will need to be something that I can easily manipulate architectural shapes in and build buildings with.

I was using The Hammer from Valve but have also recently started
using 3D World Studio.

Basically, I'm at the point where I need help both monetarily and creatively in any area I can get it in. If I can get just one thing going where I and whoever else can make some initial money then the rest will follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMV4y52CzfQ

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 22:02
It looks nice, but these boards are really for WIPs made with TGC projects...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 22:15 Edited at: 11th Mar 2011 22:20
Nevermind

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 22:37
This will likely get locked because it doesn't qualify as a WIP, and doesn't use any TGC related products.

However, what you have so far looks quite good. I have about the same amount of materials for my space MMO, and I'm 4 years into development.

What you need to do now is pick a development environment and start building it. Much of that will depend on your coding experience, but for an MMO you'll need one using C++.

Around here, DarkGDK might be a good choice. Others might be Leadwerks, Torque3D, or Unity3D.

Either way, you've got quite the journey ahead.

Best of luck.

Ed War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 20:56
Reply to "the nerd" and "KISTech":

Thank you for your responses but please go back to the video and move the slider to 3:10. I realize that you might have been jamming to the cool guitar music and missed it but this is a screen shot of 3D World Studio from Leadwerks. Besides, I already said that I had switched to using it in my post.

So, even though most of the ones I chose to put into the video are from before the mock ups I'm working on now ARE using a related product and yes it does qualify as a WIP. Especially so if I decide to use RealmCrafter for my demo.

Perhaps you all could help me on that? Right now I'm looking for a cheap engine that allows me to modify most everything I need to to make a decent demo.

For ease of use I would like something that I can actually build the buildings in the world right then and there with a CSG editor and place them along with NPCs and whatever else.

Can you do this with RC? I can't seem to find enough on RC to answer this question reliably but a friend has told me that you can do that with RC, possibly with some kind of plugin.

If I can modify the game mechanics some then that would be nice too.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 21:57
Quote: "Especially so if I decide to use RealmCrafter for my demo."

xD Actually we've had issues with RealmCrafter WIPs in the past too - it's a bit like the no FPSC WIPs rule on this board, it should go somewhere else.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 04:09
I'm sorry, I guess I looked at what you posted too fast. I don't know any engines off the top of my head, ironically the only one I can think of is actually called Hero Engine, but that is rather costly. I haven't used realm crafter, so I don't really know much about it.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 05:57
Quote: "So, even though most of the ones I chose to put into the video are from before the mock ups I'm working on now ARE using a related product and yes it does qualify as a WIP. Especially so if I decide to use RealmCrafter for my demo. "

Even if you decided to code this with DBPro in Lee Bamber's basement, it is too early for a WIP because there is no game yet. All you have are models and design documents. I'm not trying to belittle the effort done so far, I'm just saying it is not ready for a WIP here.

It sounds like RC is what you want, because you are not going to get enough programmers to build a MMORPG for you with a promise of a "share in the profitz", but it does look like you know how to make 3D models. They have their own forums at realmcrafter.com .

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:45:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:45:05