Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dungeon Quest V1.0 Screenshots

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 18:08 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 19:31
Hello to you all. Below are some screenshots of my new RPG game called "Dungeon Quest V1.0". It is basically a dungeon crawler game, with 20 levels of play, 21 monster types to kill and 129 weapons, armour and jewellery. It has 4 magic spell abilities that progress as you level up, and has exits, keys and merchants on each level for you to find. You can load or save your position at any point in the game (needed, as it will take many days/weeks to play through). Each level is randomly generated, so every game is totally new. I would appreciate any feed back on the pictures. My game is about 97% complete, so if I don’t get to many bad feedbacks, I hope to release it shortly. So far it is about 9mb, and I would also like to know if this is to big or not? Note, as well as the screenshots, I have attached the game manual PDF if anyone is interested. Any way here goes, starting with the game intro... PS, be kind, this is my first real game that I have completed (only programmed on the ZX Spectrum before, eaons ago lol)...

DUNGEON QUEST V1.0

Your Quest:-
You are a valiant adventurer, who, while on a trek home across a perilous mountain range has unwittingly tripped and fallen into a deep cave system, loosing most of your possessions in the process.
Your only real option, is to pick what little gear and supplies you have left, and try to find your way back up through 20 levels of the mountains caves, until you are out and free.
Unfortunately, the caves are filled with an assortment of evil creatures, that will stop at nothing to try and make you their slave, or even worse, their dinner. As you adventure higher up the cave system, the creatures will become stronger, and will be able to hit you harder, so it is imperative that you increase your skills as you go.
In each of the cave levels you encounter, you will need to find the 2 keys scattered about the floor to be able to progress to the next level. Luckily, there is also a merchant shop on each level where you can sell any gear you find, and also re-stock your supplies and equipment.
Lastly, as you increase in levels, you will be awarded bonus points, which you can use to increase your Health, Mana or carrying strengths. Which path you choose to take is entirely up to you. But beware, if you exit any level before slaying enough enemies, you may not be strong enough to continue onwards. Good Luck and Happy Hunting...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attachments

Login to view attachments
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 23:25
! This looks awesome - please tell me you've made it in a TGC product. xD

Also please please please use another font - it'd be awesome but is currently being let down by the horrible font.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 23:29
Looks cool, but I agree about the font. Maybe a bitmap font would be nice, with a drop shadow to make the text stand out.

He does state DBPro in the game credits screen Cowbow, but regardless, there's no mistaking that font .

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 23:37
Hi Van B, thanks for your great comments. I can confirm it is written entirely in DBPro, sorry, I should have put that in the title, I dont know how to change that now. Also, can you let me know what font you dont like, is it the actual title silver font, or the ingame text font? I did try to mess with the ingame fonts early on, but could'nt work out how to do it, settled on the defualt one. I have only been programming this for the last 3 1/2 weeks, so still a steep learning curve, most of it is from my memory of spectrum basic and some QL...
Regards
Choper
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 23:42 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 00:06
@ Van B
Aye I suppose - I just couldn't tell if it was really made in DBP though given the actual game quality and the fact he just joined the forums.

@ Choper
Wow this is really impressive for such a short timescale.

You can change the font with commands like these:

Or better still investigate bitmap fonts. - I'd love to see this with a decent bitmap font. xD

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 09:36
Yeah, the title font looks pretty cool IMO, it's just that in-game font. One drawback with bitmap fonts, is that if your just pasting the text onto the screen, then it's difficult to support colour - usually with pasting images you need different coloured fonts. Most of your in-game text is white though, so it would be possible to make your own custom text functions and replace the built in text, really easy to impliment once you have a bitmap font system in place. I could probably knock up an example for you if it would help, I don't mind as I'd really like to see your game with a nice smooth medieval font.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 10:19

Colouring bitmap fonts is no big deal if you use a paste sprite instead of paste image. - That way before each new coloured line or something you can put set sprite diffuse - I make my bitmap fonts plain white so I can do exactly that if I wish.

Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 20:26
Hi Guys, I have been trying to get a new Celtic.ttf font (attached) working all day but had no luck. I have tried it in the game folder using set text font "celtic.ttf",1 but no luck. I have also tried using a direct copy file to the windows font file system from the program listing, but that did'nt work either. I have tried the (GUI32.DLL) thing but still no luck. Anyone have an easy instruction on how to make a font work?

Thanks
Choper

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
This is COOL! Keep at it

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 08:33 Edited at: 21st Mar 2011 08:33
It looks like you've done a lot of work!

I noticed that the big map graphic looks like it uses my dungeon generator, or at least the wall/floor graphics from it. If so, could you tell what tweaks you made to the code? (and I wouldn't mind a credit, if you are using some version of my code)

Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 12:06
Hi, Thanks again for all your comments. The DBPro coding is entirly done by me, I may have picked up some idea's for coding from the forums here, but the coding itself is all mine.

As far as the graphics go, I have to say I cheated there, as I am the worst drawer in the world lol. For all the images, I just did image searches in Google, and if it looked good, I used it. I never expected to get this far with the game, so never thought anyone else would see it...

If you see a graphic that belongs to you, send me an email (choper@gawab.com) stating your name and what it is, and I will add you to the credits. If you want me to remove it, do the same thing stating this. Appolgies if I have stolen anything without knowing.

A quick update on my progress... I have been totally stumped with the font thing, some of them load OK and some of them dont. I have tried various fonts that do work in the game, but it makes most of the text un-readable (see attached font). At the moment, the text is all very clear as it stands, so am not sure how to proceed. Ideally I would like to find a fancy fixed width font, but am having no luck so far. Would appreciate anyones advice/guidance on this...

Regards
Choper

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 16:26 Edited at: 21st Mar 2011 16:34
Quote: "Appolgies if I have stolen anything without knowing."

Hey, it's not stealing if the owner puts it on the internet for free use! I know what you mean though, I'm a terrible artist with no drawing skill at all.

On the matter of fonts - as everyone says, bitmapped fonts are great.

This plugin makes them very easy to use.

Omnomer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 23:50
Hi cool looking game but To give better feedback it would help if we could play your game. Could you post a link that will alow us to download your game? Otherwise it looks great Happy coding!

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:11