Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Mazz426 - 2011 portfolio [image heavy]

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 04:36 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 18:54
You still have my attention.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 14:35
lazerus
Yes, they came out a little odd origionally, made him look like he had breasts so I sort of over corrected them.

DarkJames
He was sort of supposed to look as though he'd been on something, mabey not steroids, I'm hoping it'll make more sense when the arms are added.

starmind 001
Thanks i'm glad you like it, and once my exams are over I may be able to produce one or two things for beyond life.

Well here's an update, I fixed his pecks and corrected some anatomical issues on the back, let me know what you think.

Character 1a (WIP) -

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 13:28
Here's another update, I started working on the legs yesterday, let me know what you think.

Character 1a (WIP) -

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks Great!

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 21:26
starmind 001
Thanks, glad you think so.

Here's a small update, been wondering what I was going to do with the arm so I decided to get my thoughts down, here's a concept of what I want to try and create.

Character 1a (concept) -

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 22:30
Woah! I wasn't expecting THAT to happen

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
Twitter:@Serygala http://serygalacaffeine.blogspot.com
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 22:31 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 22:32
I hope that's not his wife... =P

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 00:38
Quote: "I hope that's not his wife... =P"

Twitter:@Serygala http://serygalacaffeine.blogspot.com
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 22:25
Wolf
Thank you, it's always good to suprise people.

Quote: "I hope that's not his wife... =P"

Haha, I'm glad someone made that reference, I hadn't even thought of that.

Anyway, I'm currently working on the mechanical arm(s) but progress is slow as I try to convert my rough concept into something that looks possible or at least mechanically sound.

For the mean time I've taken some influence from the current contest in which people show how you have built or created your models, however as my current focus is on the project I have not too much 3D stuff to show, so I've decided to upload some stuff from my current sketchbook, these are rough sketches, concepts and studies. Let me know what you think, while my main focus in this thread is of course in 3D it's always good to hear criticism on something different, thanks.

Sketchbook work -

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice concept work for it! ;D

God i need to draw again...

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2011 22:16
I like how you broke the foot down into polygons, that was very clever O_o

and for the record, I am a man.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 20:38 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 18:54
You know I am looking at all your work today and it is amazing to see how far you as an artist has come. So please, update this little guy. If you build it I will animated it for fpsc if you would like.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm36/starmind001/characteridea.jpg

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 18:27
lazerus
Thanks, would be itnerested in seeing your drawings.

Quik
Thanks, I hate drawing and especially modelling feet, breaking things down in polygons always helps.

starmind 001
I will try and go back to that character, although I may redesign it based off the original as my drawing skills have improved a lot since I drew that. Also, sorry to ask, but would you mind editing the images out of your posts as it does mean that this page takes longer to load, thanks.

Well, its been a while since an update and I have been looking at the design I had, it worked as a semi-organic thing, which wasn't what I wanted. So I did a redesign and here is a WIP shot of it, just finished the hand this morning; and as I started working on it after the new competition started I'm going to use it as my entry.
Let me know what you think, thanks.

Character 1a Arm -

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 22:04 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 23:08
Needs kuckels/links for each bend to offer support (or at least the illusion of mechanical movement/hidden mechanism) ;3

Sorry if its stupidly poor paintover XD

*attached to save page spam

An i got my zbrush license for the next 2 years, also brushed up on my anatomy alot so i shall see what i can do in it ;D

Also do you Uv map your models before hand then sculpt? Cause i want to add another layer of detail to ceros in Zbrush and im wondering if its worth UV mapping her still?

An lastly, what tools do you use? ive been playing with a few but they just seem off still.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 02:34
Quote: "An lastly, what tools do you use? ive been playing with a few but they just seem off still."

well i know u asked mazz, but iam gonna get my tip in here too, unless you mind
((also assuming u mean Zbrush))
I personally use the move brush mostly in lower (1,2) subdivs
then i start using the clay brush aswell.. well i typically use a combination of clay, move and normal brush for my organic sculpts, in all honesty these are the only ones ive had time to really use and learn properly.

I also use the trim dynamic brush, polish brush and the clay brush for more rocky objects.

also make sure to use a tablet, eases things up greatly! ^^

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 21:38
lazerus
Very sorry for not responding to you sooner, I didn't see the new posts
In terms of UV mapping it really depends on what you are planning on doing with the model in zbrush, if your going to be using the move tool to flush out forms then UV map it after that, if your planning on going into detail scupting then UV map it before hand. Another tip is to store a morph target of your model in zbrush before you do any subdividing/ scuplting, as that'll retain your model's initial state and therefore avoid distortion when you get to creating displacement and normal maps from your scupt.

When you say tools do you mean tablets? I personally use an intuos 4 which was a big improvement from the bamboo tablet i was using before, however if you're looking for a tablet and you haven't used one before, you're gonna want to start with the bamboo as they're cheap and small enough to get used to easily. However the key to buying a tablet is matching the dimensions of the tablet to the aspect ratio of your screen as that'll avoid clipping of the amount of usable space on the tablet.

And thanks for the paint over, once again i'm really struggling with the design.

Quik
Agreed, a tablet isn't neccessary but is definately a superb help.

Anyway, that was a long response, here's what I was acctually planning on posting, it's not the robot arm, I know that the work on that has trailed off, I've really hit a mental block and nothing seems to work, so in the mean time I've decided to try and practice some aspects of my digital painting, mainly my colour blending. I produced these three swatches in an effort to better my sklls, let me know what you think, thanks.

Colour test swatches -

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 23:18
How about traditional painting?

Certainly, you did a good job on the color blending, but have you ever tried a real brush?

-Wolf

Twitter:@Serygala
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 23:37
love the middle picture there, really well put together

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2011 16:39 Edited at: 1st Jul 2011 16:40
Wolf
Thanks.
I acctually do quite a bit of traditional painting, however for the past year a majority of that has been done for school and I no longer have it. I enjoy working with paint but I find digital paitnig much easier to experiment with and control.

Quik
Thanks, I also prefer the middle one.

Well, a few days ago I realised that I hand't really done anything in zbrush for close to 3 weeks, so I decided to sit down and try to create something. I'm not too sure about the lip peircing, added it today to see if it'd work, I think I'll have to finish the rest of the head to see whether or not it fits.
Started this on wedensday, I think, let me know what you think, it's not yet finished.

Head 1 -

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2011 12:41
Here's another update, think I've finished this one I'm pretty happy with it as it is, but any criticism is helpful, thanks.

Head 1 -

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 16:32 Edited at: 9th Jul 2011 16:33
Back to triple posts , hope I don't get back to quadruple posts...
Here are some revised changes to the above bust, which is now finished, was fun to do as a quick practice.

Anyway, any critique, or comment is appreciated, thanks; and i'd also like to add that if there is any interest I'd be more than happy to upload the head base i used for this onto the model database as it's far superior to my previous contributions and i'd be more than happy to see it used for something.

Head 1
-

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 16:51
All of your work is pretty much mind-blowing as it can get mate!

By the way, what are you using to render the images?

Abdul Ahad

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 17:17
AbdulAhad
thanks, i'm glad you like it.
I use Zbrush for my renders, if you're interested I could uplaod my settings for these renders.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 22:36
hurrrrr at the piercing, personal preference.. i hate piercings lol x) as for the model: it. looks. amaaazing! loving the woundscarthing

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Dam you and your stupidly good sculpting.

Ive noticed quite alot of subtle hints in your work aswell that are above an beyond. Good demo of this is that you've included veins in areas the break up some of the emptier areas. Either way its pretty dam good work.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 18:53
Quik
Haha, thanks quik, I'm not too keen on piercings myself but I just thought he needed something else

lazerus
thanks... i think
The trick to it is breaking up areas of detail with areas that lack it, too much detail just ends up looking like noise, as I have learnt the hard way.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 19:31
Quote: "I use Zbrush for my renders, if you're interested I could uplaod my settings for these renders.
"

i too would be very interested, I would love to know how to render stuff in Zbrush aswell, since print screening works, but it is quite small and not that good quality

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 16:40
Well here are the render settings / tutorial as promised, I hope that you find this stuff helpful and I also hope that it answers some questions.

And if you find any of this helpful and anyone wants some more tutorials similar to this let me know and I may be able to help.

Render settings / tutorial -

And here's a sketch I redently finished of some kind of zombie, let me know what you think, thanks.

Undead Ranger -

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 18:38
Pretty amazing mate!

Thanks for the render settings!

Abdul Ahad

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 00:35
indeed, thanks i lot^_^will look into them

oh and btw, here are two links too two different brushes made by squirc, just in case youre interested in brushes heh xD one is a "simple short hair brush" and the second is a crease brush (very usefull)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyy-t4GpCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHMvsN3rvs&feature=related

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 22:16 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 22:16
AbdulAhad
Thanks, glad that they helped.

Quik
Thanks again, that hair brush looks very useful however the crease brush, in my opinion, looks too smooth, and I'm one of those people that doesn't like using something unless I've made it myself, which means that now I'm trying to figure out how to create a similar hair brush

Anyway, I was on holiday for a week and got back two days ago, here's something I did today in order to get back into the process, it's meant to be a low poly light thing; this is also my first experimentation with emissive maps.

Anyway let me know what you think, any comment is appreciated, thanks.

Light Pillar 1 -

Light Pillar 1 texture maps -

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 16:11
No comments? Oh well

Here's something I finished today, just a quick cloth study, nothing special.
(I think I should say that I didn't create the person acting as a mannequin, he's a zbrush default)

Cloth Study 1 -

PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 20:23
I'm not worthy...
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 00:23
The back looks great!

The front is a bit too wrinkled I think and I don't know... like it's caught in that moment of weightlessness at the top of a jump, loose and moving upwards in relation to the body rather than hanging from a man standing at rest. really nice work though.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 05:17
Is this thread dead? No comments in 2 months...

"Insert funny coding-related joke here"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:06:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:06:53