Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / 3d distance formula

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 06:48 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 07:00
This is kind of funny because i actually made the correct function a while back. I can't understand the maths behind these and i made them.

Correct function:

Incorrect function:

Pythagorean theorem=a^2+b^2=c^2 translated to c=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

Now in my head. the second function makes more sense. what i'm doing is taking the x and z points and using the pythagorean theorem to get the hypotenuse of the space between the x and z points, (x2-x1)^2=a while (z2-z1)^2=b c=sqrt(a+b), then i'm take the hypotenuse and the space between y points and getting the hypotenuse between them, a=old c while b=(y2-y1)^2 c=sqrt(a+b). That makes sense to me in my head but its incorrect. I know i have the right formula for the first one, but i just want to understand what i did again
and using the hypotenuse as my a and

edit:
nevermind. i resolved it. i wasn't squaring the old hypotenuse when i brought it into the function again

here's the incorrect function corrected

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Further analysis:

The distance formula is a way of formatting the equation for a circle or a sphere.

In 2D:
Equation for a circle: (X-Cx)^2+(Y-Cy)^2=R^2

Where Cx and Cy are the X and Y coordinates for the center of the circle, respectively. X and Y would be any coordinate that lays on the edge of the circle.

So we see that R=Sqrt((X-Cx)^2+(Y-Cy)^2)
Look familiar?
If you draw out a circle, then draw a line from the center to any point, you will get a right triangle (where the line drawn is the hypotenuse, then you drop straight down to the X axis, and head across back to the center point). You will then see that the pythagorean theorem is merely the circle formula.

What about a sphere?

Same thing.

Equation for sphere
(X-Cx)^2+(Y-Cy)^2+(Z-Cz)^2=R^2

Once again, this will yield the distance formula where:

D=R=Sqrt((X-Cx)^2+(Y-Cy)^2+(Z-Cz)^2)

Just throwin in my two cents in case anyone wants another way to look at it.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 04:56 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 04:57
I have no idea what you just said, how can a right triangle be part of the circle making process?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea is that the distance formula will take 2 points and find the distance between them. The circle formula has a given distance and will find all points that distance away from a center. Its the same equation, just different unknowns. A sphere works in a similar way, it just goes around another axis as well (much harder to make a program to demonstrate).

Demo program:

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 13:20
Also, if you are using this formula just to check if an enemy is in range of the player (or similar), and you don't need the actual distance, use the quick version:

use:

TheComet

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
so your doing the same thing without squaring? and how are you going to divide by 0. not possible

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't know why you would divide by 0 in this case, but it is possible to do (at least to run the calc without a crash).

Simply multiply by 0^-1 (technically the same as multiplying by 1/0). The result will be something like #INF but the program will still run.

Great Quote:
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
wow guess you learn something new every day lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:35:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:35:54