Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / dbLoadAnimation not working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I\'m having a problem with the dbLoadAnimation command not loading the animation, despite the file being in the correct location.

I\'ve updated to the latest version, running 64bit windows 7, can anybody help?

As a footnote, the file loads in darkbasic.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2011 16:47
Load Animation will not work. It's now not part of Direct X. The easiest way around it for the time being is to use the Video for Windows header ("vfw.h"). It's software rendering only, (been around since win95), but it's still around. Apart from that you'll have to do a big work around to play video files, either using others libraries, or using the SDL and other libraries, etc. VFW is probably the easiest way to go until they re-add the video part to DirectX.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 22:02 Edited at: 1st Apr 2011 22:07
I see Thanks for the reply. Will video for windows incorporate easily with an existing DGDK project?

EDIT: doing some research, I've found the last release of vfw was in 1996 or sometime around then. Do you know of any alternatives? </edit>

I'm also wondering how animation still works in darkbasic, could you explain?

Thanks
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 22:18
Yeah, I noticed that too. I tried working again with DBP because of that and just couldn't program properly in basic after years of C.

Although I'm currently working on a project (fps version of Jet Pac) I am looking around for other easier to use video playback. Apparently the media player can be used but not checked it out yet.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Best of luck with your game. I will also continue to search for a method to play video, although it's not a high priority. If I find something I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2011 02:13
As far as I know with VWF, you have to turn the Sync off for the video to playback. It's software rendered, but it works a treat and so simple. Not complicated like some of the libraries that I've come across. I prefer to use basically what the system comes with. If I come across the wrapper class I've done for VFW I'll post it for you. If I remember it managed to play wmv's fine so you might need a video converter.

re. the game... coming along slowly but surely...

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 13:11
You may want to check Dark Video
There is a DGDK version and a demo version as well.
Don't know if it really plays any movie, and it seems to work better with Windows7, you could give it a try and tell us how it goes

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a little pricey. :/ I will try the demo, I guess if I ever get to a stage where I need to release my game, I'll need to buy the plugin.

Thanks

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 18:47
I have fixed this command, in GDK source, Animation was not allowed t be compiled.

I have fixed this issue and dbLoadAnimation command works correctly now and animations work!

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 19:07
did you test it? that's impressing, i thought DirectX dropped support for that (as far as i've read)

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 19:22 Edited at: 15th May 2011 19:22
No, the way the GDK handles it, from what my quick glance at it was that it treats it the same way it loads music, through IGraphbuilder which is a windows thing, and yes it works!

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 02:04
Ooh nice... I've been occupied with other things to get round to looking into the video playback. Will this be available any time soon Oneka?

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 02:59
I can release it right now, the only thing is though, all my libs are compiled with a newer version of DX Feb 2010, and I have a few non-native commands added to it, but if you compile your own source I can tell you what to change, its all upto what you guys prefer

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 14:19
Ah, yes. You've been working on the libs for some time now. It's not urgently needed right now but it would be handy for some time soon. Maybe an instruction thread how to get it working again.

Nice one Oneka.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:24:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:24:39