Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Scope

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 04:20 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 04:22

Project Scope is a FPS RPG with a twist. It's take all the junk you get with standard FPS RPG's, removes them and adds the fun back into FPS's. The game is based on the concept 'Experiment, Learn and Play', for instance there is no loot in my game, only things to play with. You find a thick metal wire, you can tie it on to things. You find a door, you can open, close and lock it. You find a rocket, you can tie it to a thick metal wire, tie the other end to a door and watch hilarity ensues as a door goes flying down a hall way power by a rocket. This applies to everything. Get a mount, three guns and you can mount them all together in whatever direction you want. Find a vent to a building and you can pump gas or what ever down it.

The game is set in a world similar to that you find in the movie Final Fantasy The Spriits Within. A large domed city set some time in the future. And this is your play area. The game is knowledged based, there are no missions or side quests, just information you can choose to do something with. One thing I hate about games is being told where and how I have to get somewhere. Where's the fun in that if I know where to go, theres no surpirses if there's a marker on a map to a obvious event that will happen. Instead, I've use event titles. These are like chapter headings expect they only appear when something in the game has changed. They hint that something new is going on.

You walk into a sectioned off industrial site. You stumble upon a plant. When you get near it, it opens and releases a spore and the plant dies, no cut-scenes, you may not even notice the plant. 2 game days later, an event title appears on screen saying the word 'Spore'. At the time you have no clue what this means, just that something has changed in the game world. 2 game weeks later you find that a huge plant is growing up the side of the building and taking over the city. Here's where the fun is introduced. You don't know what to do with it, so you have to experiment, setting it on fire, freezing, gases etc... You could end up making it worse and turning the city into a virus pool were the air is contaminated and you can't go outside without wearing biohazard masks.

Everything is an experiement, you are told that the dome protects you from the contimated wasteland outside. If you want, you can make it your mission to open the dome. Funnily enough, there's an event called 'Brind Down the Dome' if you see something in the world. What you would do is have to research on the dome, find all the information you can and choose your way to do it. Again, this isn't a mission or has nothing to do with the story, its just something you can do if you want to. But it will affect the story greatly, you find a that there's a group called BRIDE which is an eco-terrorist group trying to bring down the dome (reference to Final Fantasy 7). If you meet them, they will affect the game and story greatly. If you don't then your hear (or see) about how an eco-terrorist group is causing mayhem in the city.

I want you to create you own epic missions. You find a bank, I want you to try and break in. I want you to analyse the bank, find it's weeks spots, create a plan, steal the cash, buy a condo, get chased by the police because you got caught on camera, become a terrorist. Anything.

There's tons more about the game, so if you have questions, ask away.

Current Developemt

Advanced Particle System - The particle system is a huge part of the game. There not just simple particles, you can get them to do anything. A flying scanner type device in the game is controlled or can be controlled via the particle system. So this is my main development for now.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 16:00
Oh, i don't really understand your idea... ( Only that you wanna make it so the player is able to do anything he wants to, like he could in Real-Life ) But the particle system looks very, very cool ! Hope to see more in meantime

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Particle system looks great!

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 21:37
I can imagine this will be very impressive. Good luck with it, something like this seems very ambitious, but I don't doubt you could do it.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
This project sounds amazing. I will be following this thread

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2011 16:23
Awesome conecpt!
Will be great to see what you can come up with in the end.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 14:31 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2011 14:34
Cheer's guys

I've been working on this for awhile, with GDD (game design document) in the bag, I'm ready to go.

More Info:
Tools of the trade:
You main device in the game is a iphone style PDA. At first you don't have one, but when you've got credit you can buy one. First off you have a small number of apps you can play with out of the box, but you can buy more, mod it and turn it into a sort of Hacking tool.

You can buy different makes and models, not for visuals but for hardware exploits modded apps will use. So some apps will work on your PDA, but others won't. There is also software updates that make some apps unusable, but are required for others to function. The reason behind all this is I didn't want the player to have some sort of mega do everything tool that makes the game easy. I want you to think about what you need.

The game will be made in a way that you can either use the device or not without making it unplayed because you didn't invest time into the device. I want you to play it your way. If you don't want to use a device, you don't have to, there are other means of getting what you want.

App Examples:
iDevHack - is an app that allows you to hack into device around you. So camera's, turrets, security systems and even doors. There's also different versions of iDevHack, like most modders out there. Modders will have made the own versions of the app and added there own features and whatever. Like iDevHack_CC1L33T can hack devices at long range, but can't handle interference very well. iDevHackALOTv1 notifies you if there is a device in range that you can hack, but isn't great for hacking. So you could use it for scouting out devices.

BuildPrint - can search for the specifics of any building in the area. The idea being you can get blueprints to a building. Handy for robbing banks or if you need to come up with an exit strategy on the fly.

There is more to how apps work and everything, but I'll leave that to a demo.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds impressive! Can't wait to see more of this! I added you to msn, i hope you use msn, so we can chat a bit?

One thing: The names of the App's examples are a bit too obvious, I would consider change it. But the whole idea is very nice and sounds like fun to play!

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 23:54
Quote: "The names of the App's examples are a bit too obvious"

Haha, yeah. Since it's early in development, names of things aren't really important unless your creating logo's and etc. So most are just placeholder for now. I'll probably ask you guys what I should call them. Also, any app idea's any of you guy have, tell away. I've got about 150 on paper, you never know. I might of missed one. Btw, one app is tetris. Can't have a PDA without it.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 18:56
Any updates on this cool project?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 23:50
This looks amazing. The style is very simple, I love it.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2011 20:20
Sorry for no updates at the mo. What happens, I start a major project and my PSU dies. Luckily I've got a new one, so updates soon
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2011 20:38
Quote: "I start a major project and my PSU dies"

Probably could not take the awesomeness of this project, hope the new on copes a little better

Great project, I look forward to see this progress.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 00:27
Just after my PSU died and I got a new one, my internet died for a month. But I'm back baby and will be uploading a ton of stuff soon
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 12:54
Great to hear! Cant wait to see what you have done

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea sounds great, and that particle system is stunning! Can't wait for the stuff you're uploading soon. I added you on msn btw.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 05:44 Edited at: 11th Jul 2011 00:26
This project isn't dead guys, I've been re-evaluating it. More to the point recent games I've seen lately have become slightly disappointing. So I've been playing with new game mechanics for two genres, RPG and FPS RPG.

RPG's have become dull, running off 10 year old game mechanics that are popular in shiny new engines. So why not add something new that could change the game incredibly. Youe probably saying 'No Sasuke! Don't give away your deep dark secrets'. Well I don't care, as long as I get the idea out of there, I hope I can infuence people to rethink what their doing in their games and get some fresh ideas in to them.

From an RPG I want combat to be fun and more tactical. Oblivion's sucky enemy sees you and run's directly towards you even though you've got a arrow loaded bow pointing directly at it's head is dull, is just plain boring. I want to be stalked, I want to be hunted. I want to be attacked from all sides and most importantly, not know where my enemy is. That alone is the selling feature.

Just think, your walking down the road and you get a sense that something is going to hit you from the left, so you react by putting up a water sphere shield, your primal element (this is an RPG remember). Not knowing what is going to attack you, a rock, a dagger, an arrow or a massive ball of fire this is a risky move. Luckily the enemy throw a dagger and your shield was strong enough to stop it. But heres where the tatical fun beings. I've just shown my enemy my primal element or what is believed as my primal element at that time. Meaning my emeny now knows my weakness 'Earth' and was just assessing my ablities by throwing that dagger. So I can only switch to defence and only hope his(her) element is not Earth because of it's advantage over Water and that he's got the drop on me. So I wait for one of my senses to kick in then it's my turn to attack the unknown.

A game like that would be awesome. So why has it not been done I wonder. Who knows? Maybe there not as smart as me So how can we make a game like that, or basically the combat of Naruto in a Oblivion-esque world. I introduce Radial Visual Sense (RVS). Danger being the sense I'm talking about for the moment.

Game Mechanic - Radial Visual Sense (RVS)
RVS works like this, the screen is split up into two areas, inner radial view and outer radial view. Both views work similar, they just outline the direction your being attacked from. The outer view being around you, up/down/left/right. The inner view being behind you. When you about to be attack a part of the view lights up telling you where it's coming from, this gives you a split second to react to this, your choice being evade, defend, reflect or whatever. At first, your sense aren't that sharp, so the whole outer or inner view lights up telling you your about to be hit by something. As your senses improve, the lit part narrows to the direction of where it's coming from. When mastered, it's like a blade on a clock so you know exactly where it's coming from.

RVS also picks up disturbances, so if something like an explosion went off or something moved suddenly but wasn't directed at you the RVS would flash quickly. RVS also has magnitude, magnitude being the magnitude of the danger. The higher the magnitude, the greater the area lit up. If it's a massive attack, you don't want to be dumb and stand there trying to stop it, you want to get the hell out of there.

There's Radial Accuracy (how accuracy it lights up on the radial views), Radial Magnitude (strength of the danger) and Detection Accuarcy (I've come up with about 100+ RVS features/stats, but you don't need that many), meaning if the attacker is at a higher level his attack might be to fast or to strong/weak to detect. Which means we've got to be extra careful round certain enemies. This also add semi enemy types, like traps. Like most games where your walking through a tomb, there's a section of the floor that has a crack in it, a hint that it will collaspe if you stand on it.

Using RVS we can get rid of all these annoying aspects to games, make truly hidden traps and rely on are senses to guide us through ruins or dungeons. We step on a platform triggering hidden rocks to fall down, a quick flash of are RVS above us tells us that something just moved above, meaning we can respond by looking up, evading the unknown or trying to counter it.

The main advantage of the game mechanic is it introduces realtime tactics, hundreds if not thousands of new AI possibilities and ways to navigate through a world. Also RVS can be used for tons of things, one being sound. I'm putting this into action and will hopefully showcasing it soon and something called CPS in an experimental RPG i'm making (which has combat of Naruto set in an Oblivion-esque world). CPS is going to be something like RVS, massively changing the way magic/techniques combat is handled in RPG's.

I've got big things planned for both games, so look out for my updates (videos and pics) in the coming week.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 08:33
Sasuke...

You could atleast split that texts into small pieces!

I'm not gonna hide it, i didn't read. Too much of text .

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 11:12
Quote: "You could atleast split that texts into small pieces!"

Haha sorry, I'm on a large monitor, so the paragraphs don't seem as big, I've cut it up a bit for you. Summary, it describes a game mechanic
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2011 22:20
Naah! Why did you remove the text?

Well, I got a copy of it in my mailbox (subscription).

I really like the idea, and it would be awesome to see how it works. Maybe a video if possible.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 00:26
Haha thanks, (text is back)

Quote: "I really like the idea, and it would be awesome to see how it works. Maybe a video if possible."

When I get the shader done to my liking, a vid will be on the way.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 01:26
Been playing around with my dynamic global and local event system. And I can see why games don't have dynamic changing worlds cause it's a pain to program. But that ain't stopping me. Anyway...

The purpose of the dynamic global and local event system is global events affect the world your in, but affect every local event attached to the world. For instance, what if you had an event on the second floor of a building, an epic shoot out. Now ask yourself what if there was no building there, but a huge gaping hole in the world. So how can we adapt the event? Well whatever it is, you have to write every alternate event, not fun but worth it over all.

So far there are 132 global events, example of one:

Eclipse - When you start playing with electricity and start playing with the concept of where power comes from, if you find it's source, you can turn off all the power in the city. After turning off the power, the entire city is pitch black other than part of it that have there own power source. The dome shield stays up due to it's running of its own power grid. The city will remain dark until someone fixes the problem. Depending on the damage to the power, it could take 2 days or 2 weeks.

Global Affects:
> All electrified doors/vaults or anything running off the main grid goes down. So if you were planning on stealing something, nows the chance to do it.

> The population count decreases by 5 percent due to riots, suicided, murder and anything you can think of that would occurs when an entire city suddenly is plunged into darkness.

> Because there is no sun, or light it's pretty much pitch black, so everyone is walking around with torches or light sources making exploring the city a whole new experience.

All local affects will completely change the game. So a mission where you would have to get into a high security building could be completely done in stealth since there's no power. You would be able to see the location of all security due to there torch or lights sources from guns extra. And more...

Basically, I want it so you can play the game 50 times and it will never be the same. Most of the global events happen at random or in order of events. So depending on what you do, what events are triggered, the engine (well what I've programmed) will decide what events will make the game more interesting. Events can be as small as picking up a powerful weapon early in the game, or how much ammo you have. I don't want this game to be an easy ride, you get a ton of ammo for a machine gun well I'll hit you with an event that makes all that ammo worthless. The purpose of my game is you always have to adapt.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 16:19
The complete project sounds extremely cool.
I hope you manage to get everything working as you want it to.

Would also be cool to see a video, or at least an image of the current state

Keep up the great work!

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 00:35
(bump)

(my net's been down for the last 3 weeks, so I haven't been able to update. Will do soon...)
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 00:25 Edited at: 18th Sep 2011 00:27
EDIT:
Oh, nevermind, didn't read the post thoroughly enough

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The particle physics look fascinating. But where's the game?

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 22:23
Quote: "The particle physics look fascinating. But where's the game?"

Believe me, its coming...

ScopeEngine doesn't run like your standard engine, meaning it's not structured like your standard engine. It's multi layered, a new concept I'm working with. So it's taking a little time to get it running right.

As for particles. The particles are a required part of the engine, they need to be working perfectly for the game I'm making.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 01:02
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 13:46
(Bump sorry)

Be uploading more stuff later today, I get really busy at Christmas, haven't had a lot of time to program. But I've got a week off now so I'm programming everyday finally.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 14:09
Great to hear!

- A secret signature -
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 17:47
Right now I am trying to repair the hole in my floor from when my jaw dropped so hard down!

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 17:51 Edited at: 18th Dec 2011 17:53
Those particles do look really awesome man

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 21:32
Nice particles, you've inspired me You might want to look into interpolating the particles, you'll be able to close the gaps between them. The only downside is you'll be using more particles.

Not criticizing as I'm sure you know what you're doing, but isn't it a little unorthodox to start with the icing of the cake if you know what I mean?

Nice job though, I am impressed.

TheComet

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 21:46 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 22:10
Quote: "You might want to look into interpolating the particles, you'll be able to close the gaps between them. The only downside is you'll be using more particles."

Well this is just the way they are spawned from the parent particles, I could increase it but it would be a lot of particles.

Quote: "Not criticizing as I'm sure you know what you're doing, but isn't it a little unorthodox to start with the icing of the cake if you know what I mean?"

Actually I don't sorry. Care to explain if you don't mind?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Actually I don't sorry. Care to explain if you don't mind?"

Just because particles are pretty, but usually aren't the basis of a game's structure.(not essential) Just an ordering thing. I suppose many programmers make these systems twice a month by heart though... Might be easier to get the stable stuff out of the way.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 22:19 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 22:20
Oh, you were talking about creating the particle system first. Well, most the game engine is already in the works from past projects. The particle system is just what I'm working first because the problem with particles or more that DBP can't handle large amounts of objects well and that point sprites are limited by graphics card compatibility (point size issues), I need to make the best (most efficient) particle system possible cause my game requires a lot of particles.

If I create the particles system fully first with LOD capabilities, I can see what sort of FPS draw I'll get. Then optimize it a bit. I will now know what sort of FPS playing room I have left for creating the game world. Usually, particles are a sub effect. But since my world is possible made up of particles, it makes sense to make them first.

Also note that particles can be anything, not just small effects, large sections of the game world are what I call particles.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 22:24 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 22:54
Quote: "Also note that particles can be anything, not just small effects, large sections of the game world are what I call particles. "

hmmm... Really? So do you intend to keep objects binded as particles so you can use the LOD effects already implemented? That's clever if so...

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 22:41
Yeah, I didn't understand the point of having tons of systems to handle stuff that another system can do. My particle system shouldn't be thought as just a particle system. I call it an FX system which combines all manner of effects using flow scripts. This is so I can get particles, animation (key frame animation), sound and anything interacting easily because they all run off the same system.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 22:51
Quote: "Actually I don't sorry. Care to explain if you don't mind?"

Pretty much what swissolo pointed out. When you say particle system, or FX system, I immediately think of fancy effects and all of that good jazz. In my opinion stuff like that should be implemented at the very end of the project to give it that touch, just like icing on the cake. And my point is that it's pretty hard to put icing on a cake when there isn't really any cake to put it on (unless you like eating icing).

TheComet

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 23:07 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 23:08
Aha I see the point you were making now, very true

The engine is actually there, just nothing to show of it at the moment but it runs off a more advanced version of the Fallout 3 Engine remake project I was doing 2 years ago. Pic:

Fallout 3 Engine - Interiors
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 23:31
My lips are sealed. Awesome

TheComet

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 10:27
Sorry for the bump but vid up later... also how long does a thread stay open because I swear it was something like 30 days
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking forward to it!

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:31:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:31:43