Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / weighted vertices possible in darkbasic pro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I been searching thru the forums for the answer for my problem and did find a thread which I thought would help, but in the end I had no success. does darkbasic pro support weighted vertices?

some basic info:

(1) I use milkshape 1.8.5 which supports up to 4 bones per vertex

(2) im trying to export the mesh and animation info to .X format.. managed to get the model to animate without crashing my program but without vertices weighted at all, just as if they were only assigned to one bone.

(3) the exporter im using is probably rather old but im using DirectX JT version 1.0.6

(4) im quite positive theres nothing wrong with the code im using so theres no need to post any.

if milkshape CAN export weighted vertices is there a certain way I have to export my mesh and animations for darkbasic pro to show weighted vertices? (yes I already checked the website for milkshape BUT it seems milkshape has gone dead.)
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 04:54
Idk, Just experiment if you can find a answer.

My software never has bugs, it just develops random features.
C4: silly putty for men.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 16:58
The first thing I would do would be to inspect the contents of your x file and see if it has the weighted vertices you think it should have. Use a text editor. If the x file is too big to inspect manually try a smaller test model.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2011 17:16
It might just be those export settings. I use CharacterFX, which is very similar to milkshape, and weighted vertices seems to work fine for me in DBPro. I think CharacterFX uses DX format 8.1 natively - like I can export to .X with CFX then load that right into DBPro. It's free, it's probably better than Milkshape for animating (it was designed as a sister package to Milkshape), I say give that a go - it might even support your Milkshape model files.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
gp009
Years of Service
User Offline
After doing more experimenting after posting the question, I finally got weighted vertices to be exported, the problem was the directX JT exporter just wouldnt export the weighted vertices. ( i probly got a version that dont support the weights)

So, what I had to do was first export it to blitz 3D format, Import it into Ultimate Unwrap 3D and then uses Unwraps own DirectX 8 export plugin (btw, no change to the model were needed ) and it works and displayed the model in darkbasic pro and the model is showing the vertex weights.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th Apr 2011 23:11
Quote: " I finally got weighted vertices to be exported, the problem was the directX JT exporter just wouldnt export the weighted vertices. ( i probly got a version that dont support the weights)"

Yes, that rings a bell. I vaguely recall having problems getting weighted models exported as X files from MS3D - the weights were all either 0 or 1. But my own manually written X files worked fine in DBPro with weights.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:42:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:42:04