Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Symbian & WP7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 06:36
After the huge deal between Microsoft and Nokia, where Nokia will adopt WP7 and phase out Symbian as its mobile phone OS. What are the plans to support Symbian moving forward, and when can we expect WP7 support?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 10:13
I believe there is no fixed date to suport the additional platforms yet, and I think this is the right way to go about it.

I'd rather see the AppGameKit released sooner with fewer platforms so that we can get to know it and help develop it.

Obviously we'd all like to see more platforms added to AppGameKit and the more it supports the more popular it will be for developers.

Maybe we should have a poll as to which platforms we'd like to see supported next? or maybe its best just basing the decision on market popularity?

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
Huntinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 23:31
I personally would love to see WP7 in the AppGameKit as soon as possible, but I agree that the AppGameKit should be released sooner with fewer platforms. Also Symbian is on a lot of phones worldwide, but they aren't going to be supported after the switch so my big question is will the AppGameKit will ever support Symbian?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 06:13
There are no plans to support Symbian as the indicators are that Nokia wish to use the new Windows Phone 7 OS moving forward so they can focus on delivering a great user experience through innovations in the hardware and related services. Right now we are looking to support Android before WP7, simply because Android NDK allows a C++ approach to development, whereas WP7 insists on a C Sharp approach. If this changes, or one of our initiatives work out, WP7 could arrive sooner though right now we are very much focusing on our first release platforms which are Windows, Mac, iOS and Samsung Bada (and shortly after; MeeGo) which will allow you to publish on AppUp, MacSore, AppStore and Samsung Apps. Writing an app once and making money from four stores should keep your bank manager happy while we work on a few more platforms for you

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Huntinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 23:48
Thanks for the reply, and I think my bank manager will be very happy with the AppGameKit!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2011 12:08 Edited at: 27th Apr 2011 12:09
Hopefully, MS will drop their anti-native coding attitude to WP7. Latest quarterly mobile developer survey shows little interest in developing for it currently and their insistence on using XNA is probably why (see page 5):

http://www.appcelerator.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/images/mdr-april-2011/Appcelerator_Q22011Survey_final.pdf
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2011 15:39
Redmotion: heard of Apple? They even restrict the hardware you use, not to mention that you must use Cocoa, etc.

I think the install base is responsible for the small interest more than anything else. Writing C# on a PC is still a lot easier than developing anything at all with a Mac if you're not a seasoned Mac user.
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2011 20:59
@ent:
Well, Apple allows native code now which means that most cross-platform engines can export to it quite easily. C++. If you're making a +platform engine exporting to C++ makes things much simpler. Being forced to export to C# (and an already defined engine XNA) for just one of the platforms means more effort.

The windows phone 7 install base will grow quite quickly because it is a good platform.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:07:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:07:45