Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP] KKP-Thirty One

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 13:22 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 15:05
The first actual playable game that I can legally release!

The Rules
Thirty-one is a card game played with a standard 52 card deck. The goal of the game is to get a hand higher than any other player. Players take turns dealing each round. The dealer deals 3 cards to each player, and then places the top card of the deck into the discard pile. Starting with the player to the left of the dealer, each player takes their turn. Game turns have two phases. During the first you can choose to either pick up the last discard, draw a new card, or knock. If you pick up the discard or draw, you must then discard back down to 3. If you spend your turn knocking, each other player gets one more turn to get a hand better than yours. On your next turn, points are added and a winner declared. The person who knocks wins ties.

The value of your hand is determined by suit. Add up all the hearts, then diamonds, etc, with Ace being worth 11. The highest among those is your current hand size. Three of any one face value card counts as 30. If at any time a player has 31, that player instantly wins.

Installation
Attached is a RAR file that contains the Klan Kamakazee Productions game Launcher. It serves to help keep games up to date, and to install new games as they are released. Place the launcher in any folder and run it. You can install Thirty-One from within the launcher into the same folder as the launcher. Launcher removed, server taken down. Please download full version.

If you would rather install the game directly, you can download the full game, but be mindful that the launcher is the only way to know when updates are available.

Features
All profile data is store in your "My Documents\My Games" folder.
F12 will save a screenshot to your "My Documents\My Games" folder.
Up to 8 players.
Only 1 AI setting ATM, and it is really basic, but a PitA to win against.
Online "Battlenet" type matchmaking system planned.

Known Issues
The game is currently in beta stages. There are many things missing, but the game should be playable without any errors.

Requests
The reason I am posting the game this early is to see if I can get some assistance from the community. The game has no real great sounds, and I would like to change that. Also some of the graphics, such as the avatars, are not that great and could be replaced. I also left the cards.png file out of the EXE so that it can be modified. The options will allow for you to change the card back (like Windows solitaire), but I need submissions of art that I can use. Also, the rules as typed above could definately be re-worded, and then added as an in-game help screen.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 13:23 Edited at: 30th Apr 2011 03:18
Changes:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 00:28 Edited at: 10th Apr 2011 00:38
fun game. the only downside was a limited download rate (64kbs, i believe) but everything seemed to be working as intended* and, thus far, has proved entertaining

*basically, i did wonder if my profile was supposed to keep cumulative wins or ?

meanwhile, i did whip together a "knock" graphic which fits well enough in-game (running 31 via the launcher will replace the graphic so anyone wanting to use/test it in-game should 1) back-up the original graphic, 2) save the attached, then 3) run 31 via the exe, not the launcher):

my only concerns at this point of the WIP:

1) i couldn't find out where i could add/import a graphic for my profile avatar. maybe this is still being worked on?

2) standardization of avatars/icon placement:
i'm assuming you've clipped some anime artwork for this, for now, and would recommend creating/clipping avatars so the middle, say, 32x32 area of the 64x64 av image would best represent the avatar.

this way, the outer ~16 px, which are currently used for icons/graphics (dealer button and knock, etc), wouldn't intrude on the avatar to the point where it's relatively covered up when icons/graphics are added. personally, i'd move the icons/graphics off the avatar all-together and on to the table (along with player name) where a nice, solid background would afford maximum legibility.

3) Note within the rules that an Ace = 11

Question:

if a player picks up the discard card and then discards the same card they picked up, shouldn't this effect a "knock" or otherwise not be allowed? 99.9% sure i saw Player 1 AI do this and thought it was strange. i supposed there could be a strategy to this as we keep track of what suit the player to our left is interested in, but it did seem odd and wondering what Hoyle™ has to say.

nice game. thanks for sharing!

add: re-reading your initial post and the only thing i would change regarding the sound is to cut the # of "knocks" within the soundfile down to 2 or 3 (if you want to attach the sound, i can edit it via audacity). otherwise, there are a number of generic win/loss/tie sound effects out there (i could get some together if you like) but i really don't think the game needs it. the visuals/text you've included are fine (i think adding more sound effects would only take away from the serenity of the "casual/parlor"-game atmosphere. otherwise, what did you have in mind, there?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 00:41 Edited at: 30th Apr 2011 03:17
Quote: "fun game. the only downside was a limited download rate (64kbs, i believe)"

I will look into that. I am using DLL calls to "wininet.dll" to download all the files off of my website, so maybe I am doing something wrong there. My system downloads really fast, but I am sitting next to the server as well...

Quote: "1) i couldn't find out where i could add/import a graphic for my profile avatar. maybe this is still being worked on?"

"My Documents\My Games\KKP-ThirtyOne\CustomAvatars\" The directory should have been created when you first launched the game. I want to keep ALL of my users content in the MyDocs and not in the game folder, which is what I was doing for a very long time. It makes backing up your data SOOOO much easier.

Quote: "2) standardization of avatars/icon placement:"

Yeah, all the avatars were ripped from my website forum. They are placeholders until I can get something else. I want to create a batch of them that are all themed somehow. But again, graphics aren't my best area.

Quote: "3) Note within the rules that an Ace = 11"

Good point.

Quote: "basically, i did wonder if my profile was supposed to keep cumulative wins or ?"

It will, yes, but I do not know how I want to handle that. Do I keep track of wins and losses, but display it as a ratio? If I don't, people who just pick up the game will be far behind on wins than a veteran. Perhaps I should display wins, losses, and a ratio...

Quote: "i'd move the icons/graphics off the avatar all-together and on to the table"

Good idea. I will throw together some concepts and see what looks best. I would have completed the game much sooner but it is hard to stop playing...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for the knocking graphic. It definitely looks better than the green "K"...

Also, until I find out why the game downloads so slow with the launcher, I have attached the latest version to this post. The newest version does not have the sound files embedded if you want to look into them.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 03:15
quick question on the deck of cards: is the game hard-coded to require the exact dimensions on the card images or more dynamic in its loading? ie, will it slice an image into 13 cards wide (A-K) by 5 cards tall as per your cards.png or is it looking to grab exactly 70x123 images for each card? i ask because there are few deck images around (ie, the one from the 2d graphics buffet thread) that could be re-arranged and edited to fit into 31. i've a hankering to get david gervais' deck into 31 either way so you could save me some time in testing aforehand.

thanks

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
It is hard coded to slice exactly 79x123 in that formation. I could un-hard code that, but with the exception of the cards on the table, every other instance of the card images is being drawn with "paste image" which could have some weird effects if the card images aren't the right size. I do believe that it would be less work for me to convert all of those to use scaled sprites than for you to have to resize 53 card images and have them still look decent in-game.

I checked out the graphics buffet thread and I am actually using some of those for my other games. I like the card images that are in there too. I am not sure where I got the deck I am using, which worries me that it may not have been a free-to-use type thing....

After dinner I will convert to using sprites and load up the graphics buffet image. The code will then dice up the deck image to 13x5 even pieces as you mentioned.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 03:45 Edited at: 10th Apr 2011 04:40
how about we split the work up on that. i'll line the cards up right while you work on the code (and dinner)

add:

Attachments

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 04:54 Edited at: 10th Apr 2011 04:55
I finished the changes to sprite size. It loads the image you posted fairly well. The resizing causes it to lose alot of its clarity.

My next task is to create a "Decks" folder (and a "CustomDecks" in the MyDocs) and allow you to swap between them in the Options menu.

As for sounds, I do not want anything intrusive, but I can't stand absolute quiet either. Sounds for each of the actions, like knocking, help to determine what is going on. I think I want to add some kind of music too (that can be toggled of course), but not sure what would go good with this. I did un-embed the sound files in the latest few versions if you want to modify that knocking sound.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2011 05:34 Edited at: 10th Apr 2011 05:35
the attached zip has the edited knock sound (cut it down to 3 knocks and down to 52k from 174k) and the first knock icon i'd made which was originally placed top & center of the 64x64 (the one i'm currently using is actually a 64x72 png so the knuckles appear right at the bottom of the av, spilling down).
anyway, there they are.

Attachments

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the help Virtual Nomad.

I have uploaded a new version that has all your changes, plus now has an Options menu where you can choose which deck to use. The preset decks are in the Game directory until I can resolve an issue with a Matrix dll. Once that happens, they will be happily hidden within the EXE. Custom Decks can still be added via the MyDocs folder.

I want to get the Event log finished next. Then the daunting task of making it multi-player...

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 03:25 Edited at: 30th Apr 2011 07:46
New update today!

Today's update changes the UI a little bit. It also adds Achievements and stats tracking. Networking code has been started as well. The "Online Games" button will open the UI that should display all online games provided my server application is running (which it isn't very often), however there is currently no way to host or join a game so it should remain empty. I am hoping to have Multiplayer games working by the end of next week.

All of the game files are now stored in the EXE. If you have an Images or Sounds folder you can remove them after updating as they are not needed.

Known Bugs:
When you complete an achievement, the date it lists that you completed it is wrong. I am working to resolve this.
The last three achievements are not yet coded and are impossible to obtain.

Requests:
I am still looking for replacements for the built-in avatars. I would like to shy away from the anime characters and create a group of Avatar icons that is more fitting for the game. I am thinking of something similar to the characters in Clue, where each has a personality and color theme, and drawn in a cartoony type of way. This is just my idea, I welcome any ideas that anyone may have.

Also, please report any bugs, major or minor, as well as any typos. I am also looking for suggestions for additional achievements as they always add more variety to your games. I will also try to keep my server application running this weekend so pop in the Online Games GUI a bit so I can check connectivity issues.

Thanks!

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Triple Post!

Just an update. I lost most of my momentum on this project when I started getting random crashes that did not contain an error message, and therefore impossible to track. Some time later I started getting the same crashes in another project, but I knew what I had just changed, so I knew my problem here. The problem is solved, and I am back on track to finish this project. For that reason, I didn't want my thread to die, and so here I am bumping it.

Still looking for cartoony player avatars if anyone is interested.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 18:21
Nicely done, both of you!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:21:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:21:47