Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Noob Help Please!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 19:10
Ok so I'm completely new to GDK and I'm coming from a Dark Basic Pro environment. Does anyone have some pointer and basic an/or advanced commands that you can show me? I don't even know hot to put words on the screen... There are so many spots to type that I don't know where to put it or the command to put in.... Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

God help me, Please.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
All the commands are "similar" to the dbpro commands (there are no spaces). There's a "Dark GDK.chm" file in the SDK. It has most of the commands (some are missing, but you can look at the dbpro help to get the command you are looking for and simply don't use spaces).

If you are unfamiliar with C++, you should read up on it. It's mostly intuitive, but you have to know where to start. There are several C++ help references on the internet, so have a look.

Any specific questions, most of us can help you with so feel free to ask.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 22:10
Some tutorials should be on your machine, probably in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Tutorials\Getting Started

Crysis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 18:41
Unhelpful Titles

Please do not simply write "Noob Question", "I am a newb", "One Noobie Question", "A question", "Please help", "This isn't working" or anything similar as the title of your post. We have a search facility, and meaningless titles do not help others find answers to their questions. It will also help you to get quicker responses if people have an idea of your thread content

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
The help file (command reference) and the tutorials that have been mentioned above can also be reached from your Windows Start menu. If Dark GDK managed to install properly, then in the Start menu you have "The Game Creators", "Dark GDK". Otherwise you can find them in the directory where you installed Dark GDK. There are also a few resources (e.g. models) to start experimenting with.

If you only look at the Dark GDK commands, they are very similar to the Dark Basic Pro equivalents. However, the C++ language is very different from Basic, and you need to familiarize yourself with the language elements to be able to write a working program. Here are two C++ references that can help you start learning the language.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

http://www.learncpp.com/
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't even know hot to put words on the screen..."

For example with the dbText command. This program does nothing else than write "Hello!" roughly in the middle of the screen. I only added one line to the program body that the Dark GDK game template creates for you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:25:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:25:12