Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Misleading Error - Runtime Error 1507 - Display using 32 but is not supported by available hardware

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 12:40
Bug bug bug.

Well, not so much a bug, more so a misleading error. I spent half an hour this morning figuring out why my brand new laptop wouldn't run my game engine in either 32 or 16 bit mode. After an investigation, I found that this error is produced when the resolution exceeds the Windows/System resolution.

I'm not too sure if it's a Windows Error, or a DarkBASIC Professional error. Obviously though if it's a DBPro error, it would be handy if the error could be clarified.

I could trigger this problem by using the SET DISPLAY MODE command to simply call a larger resolution than what my laptop could provide.

Also, too funny. I've just realised this bug actually stopped me from coding on my girl friends netbook which was the catalyst to my laptop purchase. I assumed that since both 16 & 32 bit failed on the netbook, that the GPU in the netbook wasn't cut out for DBPro.

So yeah, a quick recode and compile test proved that the netbook could handle my app at 17 fps! That's compared to my laptop which runs at 180 fps using a GeForce 420M.

Too funny.

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 05:27
I'm getting the same error but it happens no matter how I set the screen resolution and I have the hardware - read on...

It's been awhile since I used DBPro. It's changed quite a bit.

There's probably a better way to handle this but I make a new version, when I reach a pleateau by copying my code, closing the project, making a new project with the same name + an incremental counter, then pasting my code (text) into the new project.

Well all of a sudden I'm getting the same runtime error, "Runtime Error 1507 - Display using 32 but is not supported by available hardware"

I can go run the same code in the original version and it works fine but when I copy it to a new project, I consistently get this error. It compiles just fine but gets the error during the first few seconds of execution.

It's driving me crazy!!! Any suggestions? - Thanks!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 13:12 Edited at: 20th Jun 2011 13:12
Quote: "Any suggestions?"

Check the display settings in the Properties panel of the editor. I can easily reproduce your symptoms by "accidentally" using an inappropriate display setting. The first line of my sample code changes that but the program fails before it hits that is my guess.

The error disappears as soon as I choose a more sensible value from the drop down list.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 11:43 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 11:59
I've been doing some further testing;

I'm hoping someone can explain the weird limitations of the "Set Display Mode" command, and perhaps advise the use of some alternate commands that'll give me a little more freedom with regards to Window size, whilst avoiding the scaling of on screen pixels.

EDIT: Searching the forums tonight has lead me to this gem.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/view_code.php?i=3637

I'll spend some more time checking this out!

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 18:19
Interesting, I too have some issues with display, however...

Quote: ""runtime error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware""

I only get this error if I size my window above my desktop native res. I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried placing SET WINDOW ON above SET DISPLAY MODE? Even assuming your project settings are right, I've noticed sometimes I have to call this anyway when running in windowed and the same applies to FS. The following runs fine on my machine, no matter what sizes I set.

Also,
Quote: "I'm unable to achieve the resolution of 1600 x 1080 in a window, without pixel line corruption."

I'm unable to acquire ANY resolution without pixel corruption unless I remove the windows border, SET WINDOW LAYOUT 0,0,0.

Now, as I said, I always get pixel corruption except when there's no borders or titlebar, etc. I've noticed though that if you have graphics and resize the window a little, it moves the corruption. If done correctly, you can actually get it out the way of most of your graphics and fonts ... Of course that's insane but anyway.

I long ago gave up running in Window windows (windows' windows? window's windows? Badgers...) and I've now actually coded window-dragging into my current project, so the user can drag it like a normal window. It's the only work-around I've managed to come up with that isn't highly complicated.

mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2014 17:00 Edited at: 5th Jan 2014 21:34
Hi

Member Green Gandalf is showing the origin of the problem relative to
the runtime error 1507.

I'm applying those settings to make my apps compatible on PC with a lower display resolution.

Example :
Step 1 :.exe file compiled with those settings on a PC with a display 1980x1080x32
Step 2 : the file runs on a PC with a display resolution set to 1024x768x32 --> it is OK
Step 3 : I changed the display resolution on that PC to 1600x1080x32 --> it is OK (the program is running with that higher resolution).

I'm a simple hobbyist.

(see printscreens attached)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The klited Judge Dredd
Years of Service
User Offline
i find this strange my native screen res is 1920x1080x32 but even if i set the compiler to run in fs at 1024x768x32 i get the runtime error the only thing i can think of is that i have to run in a reduced res because my screen's native res is cropped by the ussual black band round the edge (yes i'm running my pc on my tv screen) but window or fullscreen mode i get the error all the same 32 or 16 bit depth at 800x600 or 1024x764 res kind of put of i juste got arround to updating dbpro i worked fine before i will this out then post back

crimes: stupidity sentence: haggis
The klited Judge Dredd
Years of Service
User Offline
A ok it works
just been messing arount to find a res that fits well now i can get back my invasion of the space haggis's rofl

crimes: stupidity sentence: haggis

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:49:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:49:44