Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3d windowed in a form

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 12:57
Is this even possible?
What I would like is for the 3d (or 2d) camera to be rendered in a frame on a standard windows form.

I have read about dbOverrideHWND but it is only mentioned once or twice as far as I can see and no actual code reference. And apparently only .net has an example. So my question is, can this work in DGDK (C++) and if possible, can anyone point me towards a simple example of this in action?

I'm a long time DBPro'er who's just come along to learning C++ and was pleased to find that GDK is now free. I'm pretty sure I'm getting to grip with things now. I would just hate to have to revisit my old clunky DB rendered GUI systems..

www.AoFP.co.uk
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
You need Visual Studio 200x Professional to accomplish this.
[anybody has example?]

Or you would use WinAPI (which is what I use currently).

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 17:36 Edited at: 5th May 2011 17:38
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152825&b=22

the code is messy, but it's very good to start with, the whole point is in overriding the window

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 21:20
I forgot to mention I am using VS Pro 2008.

Hassan, thanks for the link I will check it out.

Would you say it would be easier to use .NET for this?

Are there any disadvantages using GDK.NET over GDK in MSVS C++ speedwise or perhaps in terms of completeness of the library? I've been out of the loop for about four years and I'm just picking up on things reading around the internet.

www.AoFP.co.uk
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
If you use Pro edition I would say stick to C++ GDK version, I believe there is a way to get MVC++ Forms to work with DarkGDK, but I would like to see an example, because I never got it to work ( did heard of it tho ).

You can always use WinAPI and a Resource Editor to edit your menu's layout.

But ofcourse GDK.NET is easier, altough a bit slower as far as I have heard.

Good luck,

Leo

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 07:45 Edited at: 6th May 2011 07:46
it is VERY easy so i don't see how .NET would be easier

the source code in the link is long and complicated because it contains too much features like menu bar, dialogs, multi-windows, open and save files, if you tear it apart and take what you need, it might not be over 50 or 100 lines of code

also if you want to learn more about WinAPI, check out theforger Win32 API tutorials (search google)

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 13:54
WinApi is useful and I've used it a lot recently. ResEdit is the resource editor I use until I find another. I usually just open up another dialog and run all the window stuff in that and leave the GDK window on its own. I will eventually suss out how to add menus to the GDK window though. It's not that hard to do, just fiddly...

Warning! May contain Nuts!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:24:51