Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / default.js not found - Install problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! I'm a newbie on visual and GDK and just registered in the forum.
I'v installed GDK and both the updates (unziped and updated the folders).
I'm using Visual C++ in Windows 7 and my language is not english.

1ยบ - The wizards did not show up on visual. I searched around the forum and solved it by creating the folder Dark GDK in My documents - Visual, pasting there the folders from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects
and

Creating a Wizard folders in Visual folder in My documents and pasting the files from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Files

And changing the ABSOLUTE_PATH from:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"
to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Manuel\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

I also changed the path for the same files in C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects for the same path has above. It's a mess.

Now the wizards show up on New -> Project. My problem is when I click Ok start the wizard, an error ocurs:

"Default.js or default.vbs not found in C:\Documents and settings\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Scripts\1033\default.js"

That's normal because I have no such folders has C:\Documents and Settings... it does not exist inside my computer. My corresponded folder, that is, the one where I do have that file because I'v pasted it there myself, is:

C:\Users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Scripts\1033

All samples run normal.

I'v saw other users with the same problem but they dont really solve it so I ask again.

Can anyone walk me trougth from the start?
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
If you searched around on the forums, I'm sure you have already seen this (from your description, that's basically what you did already):

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=118371&b=22&msg=1793748#m1793748

"C:\Documents and Settings" does exist. It is a hidden link (shortcut) to C:\users. It shows up if you use a file manager which is configured to show hidden files.

In your error message the path (if you copied it correctly) is shown as "C:\Documents and settings\Visual Studio 2008\Projects.....", but the path should be "C:\Documents and Settings\Manuel\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\..." etc. if that's where you copied the files. If the path is wrong in the error message, there must still be a problem in the wizard (vsz) files.

I suggest that you check the corrected absolute paths in the wizard files again, maybe there was a typing mistake.

You don't need to change the paths in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects" directory where you copied the files from. Only in the directory where you copied them to, i.e. in the My Documents path. Make sure to modify the path in the vsz files which are under the "Wizards" directory. Maybe there are vsz files in the "Projects" directory as well but those seem to be not used.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
P.S. You can also try to write c:\users into the path instead of "documents and settings", and check the exact name of the "my documents" directory too. The important thing is that the path should point to the place where your Dark GDK project files are.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:29:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:29:19