Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro] Fields of War : Lines in the Sand

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 22:43 Edited at: 12th May 2011 22:47
This is an extremely early look at the development I've been doing for an MMOFPS the last 8 weeks.

This video is just showing the incorporation of Model Pack 53 into a DBPro custom FPS environment, and shows the validation of the projectile trajectory calculations along with proper collision detection.

I'll get another video up soon that shows multiple player interaction.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 23:59
..and some of the multiplayer interactions.

I decided to post these because I'm doing a lot of work on this recently and felt it was time for a WIP, even if it's an early one.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks ace mate. Cannot wait to see more progress.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 19:40
Thanks. I'm trying to get something playable going by this summer. Shouldn't be to much longer before I have damage, death, and re-spawn worked out.

So far I have 10 weapons included in the system and working, and 14 different soldier models. All made by ErrantAI.

The weapons are,
- M4 w/Ironsights
- M4 w/4xACOG Scope
- M4 w/Red Dot Sight
- All of the above with the M203 grenade launcher attached
- M9 pistol
- M249 SAW
- M1014 Semi-auto Shotgun
- RPG-7

There's an M107 Sniper rifle, and grenades to still be added.

The hardest part has been the animation system. Trying to match up the full body animations to the hand animations when there are some animations for the hands that aren't available on the body.

It's never going to rival the likes of Modern Warfare 2, or Bad Company 2, but it will have it's own uniqueness.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course it's not gonna rival those!

That's going to be 'Fields of War 2'...

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~25%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 22:18
Yay!!!

Really, really, really, really...

nice!

But i have an request. Please keep being focused on pistols, since i them .

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 23:44 Edited at: 13th May 2011 23:46
Quote: "That's going to be 'Fields of War 2'..."

Let's hope.

Quote: "Please keep being focused on pistols,"

I'll see if I can add 1 or 2 more. The existing one has an optional silencer, but I haven't figured out how to add it to the standalone model yet, and there's no animation for the full model to put the silencer on like there is with the hands.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 01:33 Edited at: 14th May 2011 12:31
Quote: "I'll see if I can add 1 or 2 more. The existing one has an optional silencer, but I haven't figured out how to add it to the standalone model yet, and there's no animation for the full model to put the silencer on like there is with the hands.
"

Thanks ! You're so good in making MMO's that i would greatly appreciate some big tutorial on making them.
Could you make something like that, to help multiplayer-newbies (like me)?

Yet. I guess you're using some sort of purchaseable plug-ins.

PS.

Could you make such tutorial ? It would be awesome.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks amazing, although I don't quite know why pistol fire is effected by gravity. seems unnescisary and complicated. I would love to help you out with this game if I can. Not sure how but, I'd make a great tester . Anyways, I can't wait to see more.

swis
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 16:37
Quote: "This looks amazing, although I don't quite know why pistol fire is effected by gravity. seems unnescisary and complicated. I would love to help you out with this game if I can. Not sure how but, I'd make a great tester . Anyways, I can't wait to see more."

Hm. That thing with gravity's really weird. I'd also suggest on it's removal . I'm also open if i could help anyhow.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 17:27
Looking great KISTech.

Quote: "Hm. That thing with gravity's really weird. I'd also suggest on it's removal"

I'm pretty sure the gravity strength on that video is that strong to show the viewer that it works, I doubt it will be that noticable in the final game. Battlefield also has this feature, it only makes a difference at great distances, and it awesome

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 18:20
Yup yup. But if you won't mind KISTech, that would be cool if you provide some big, complete tutorial about making your own MMO.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 22:17
I'll see what I can do about a tutorial. Making any kind of MMO is a huge undertaking, and I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

Worlds Apart has been a huge learning experience over the last 4 years. I needed to take a break from it now and then so I don't lose sight of where it's headed. It's easy to get stuck in one direction and head that way letting everything else fall by the wayside.

Bullet Drop:

For what it's worth, the bullet drop doesn't use any formulas based in reality. I put in a calculation and a timer that do a fairly good job of faking it, but it's all guesswork to make it appear realistic and to minimize the amount of calculations needed.

It basically runs through this process,
- Velocity remains constant for the first 100ms of flight.
- Subtract 10% of the current velocity each second after that while not allowing any shell to slow below a minimum speed.
- Change the X angle of the shell based on the difference between starting velocity and current velocity.
- Move the shell forward at the current velocity and angle.
- Check for collision.

The KIS in KISTech stands for Keep It Simple.

enderleit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 16:49
Quote: "The KIS in KISTech stands for Keep It Simple"

And yet... you are making MMO's?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 23:12
What can I say, I like a good challenge.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 00:27
Quote: "It basically runs through this process,
- Velocity remains constant for the first 100ms of flight.
- Subtract 10% of the current velocity each second after that while not allowing any shell to slow below a minimum speed.
- Change the X angle of the shell based on the difference between starting velocity and current velocity.
- Move the shell forward at the current velocity and angle.
- Check for collision."

Wouldn't it be easier, more efficient and more realistic to simply decrease the velocity's y-component by your gravity value every frame? At least that's how I usually handle gravity in my games.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 06:22
I was just thinking that it would be more realistic to alter the angle of the bullet based on it's initial speed and the distance traveled. It's really not a very intensive calculation.

However, there are probably better ways to do it. This was just an early attempt at something different than what you usually see in an FPS. I'm still just ironing out the environment, playing with some routines, and making everything modular so that it's easily changed.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 23:27
Quote: "The KIS in KISTech stands for Keep It Simple"

Aren't you forgetting an "S"? Keep it simple stupid

Looks really good! Hope to see more progress soon

TheComet

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2011 00:22
I figured it wouldn't be good marketing to imply either calling myself stupid, or calling the customer stupid. I've come close to picking a different name entirely, but haven't found a good one yet. So this one has stuck with me since 1998.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 05:14
KisTech

First nice WIP you got hear. as for your name it fits ,dont change because you a gaming prog. TECH.
i would like to ask some questions. Besides using DBP and other add on you, what else do you. do you use darkphysic, darkAI. For the mmo do you hand code the online or do you use the darknet add on.

i just want to say keep it up and i will be following this post.
also hope the spawn post would be better then cod style.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 19:55
Thanks.

The plugins I'm using are,

- BlitzTerrain
- Matrix1Utils
- Enhanced Animation
- DarkNet

I wanted to use DarkClouds, but it's just to buggy.
There's no physics or AI plugin being used at the moment. In fact there probably wont be any AI. This will be strictly human multiplayer, since it's intended to be an MMO. The only time it's really going to stink is when there aren't enough player online to make a battle, but I have a few ideas for that situation.

I'm looking into other physics plugins at the moment, as DarkPhysics doesn't fully meet the need in some areas.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I beleive DarkDynamiX might help you out.

It's a little disapointing you won't be including any AI. I'd love to help you add some later if you'd like. I much prefer bots with a few local human players. We'll see.

swis
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:12
It's a project that, for the time being, is way back on the back burner and will probably be there for a little while.

Maybe when I'm actually ready to turn it into a game I'll use GDK, and maybe, just maybe, the next version of BlitzTerrain will be out by then.

Right now I'm focused on making games with the AppGameKit, as it's a much shorter time to market, and has the potential to actually make some money. Which is why I got into this 4 years ago in the first place. (aside from the fact that I love making games of course..)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:14:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:14:53