Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Loading very large models

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 16:43 Edited at: 17th May 2011 16:49
Hi folks,

I need to load a very large model (ca. 50 Mb .X file exported from 3DS Max) for a uni project.

I tried loading it in DarkGDK and it takes some time to load. Then the object exists and has a correct size reported from dbObjectSizeX..Z(), but nothing is visible!

I tried loading it in FragMotion (to convert it to .DBO for faster loading) but it gave me an error (too high vertex count, >65555, something like that).

Is loading such large models possible with DarkGDK?

EDIT:
Just to clarifiy, I don't want to reach high frame rates with this or something, I just need the model to be displayed at least.

EDIT:
I just measured the poly count (dbStatistic(1)) and it's about 305000. Too much for DarkGDK to handle?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 20:07 Edited at: 17th May 2011 20:09
Quote: "I tried loading it in FragMotion (to convert it to .DBO for faster loading) but it gave me an error (too high vertex count, >65555, something like that)."

You can use...
dbSaveObject("myObject.dbo", objectID);
..to convert it to dbo

I don't think this will help with your issue but you will be able to load it faster while you try different things.

You should maybe try getting the limb count, and perhaps vertex data to see if it has any.
EDIT: This may not help as it is giving you the poly count.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 23:26
Thanks matty!
I'll try and see if saving the object to DBO helps.
Other than that I think I'm going to our computer lab tomorrow and split the whole model up in 5 parts with ca. 60000 polys using 3DS Max. (would take ages on my crappy laptop here)
I think that may help, though I'd still prefer to have the whole thing in one file...

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 05:45
I got two things that might help.
The first is to make sure that the camera is indeed pointing at your object.

The second is to scale your object to a ridiculous amount. Something like 20000. This will most likely be way to big, but it should show you the object if it is to small. You can scale it down from there

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:34:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:34:41