Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BIOS password

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 11:34
Right. A friend of mine has mucked up his password in BIOS after hitting the wrong key twice, please, does anyone have a program to retrieve this?
Any help given, big thanks.
The Day of Judgement will scorch mankind and will be condemned to Hell.
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 11:59
Oops. Forgot to mention the operating system. It's Windows 98.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 12:19
u can pull the battery for ten minutes and it will reset, have u tried resetting the bios to defualt?

DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 12:32
How do you reset the password to default?
When you can't even get into bios.

DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 12:40
Also not allowed to touch the insides as it's under guarantee.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 13:48
good luck then

heres an update to what I keep finding on webpages.

Can’t remember the BIOS passwords? In such a case you’d need to reset the BIOS to default settings. The system BIOS software stores its information on a tiny flash memory chip on your motherboard. This needs a constant supply of power to keep the information. So, if you remove the source of this power, the BIOS will reset. This is not the mains power, but is provided by a tiny Lithium-ion battery. With earlier motherboards, you could simply pull out the battery to reset the BIOS. But since anybody could do that, manufacturers provided more security. Here is what to do with newer motherboards.

Keep your motherboard manual handy. Locate the battery on the motherboard (looks similar to a digital watch battery, as big and flat as a one rupee coin). Press the clip located on its socket. You may use a tiny screwdriver, but never apply too much force. The battery will pop out. Short-circuit the connectors in the socket with the screwdriver. Refer to the manual and locate BIOS Reset jumper. This is normally a set of two pairs of terminals with a jumper already set on one pair. The manual will specify whether you have to remove the jumper or place it on the adjacent terminals. Do accordingly and power up the PC momentarily and then switch it off. Replace the jumper to its default position and also the battery in its socket. Boot up again.

You’ll get to the Setup screen without any password. Note, however, that all earlier BIOS customizations would have vanished too. So you will have to reconfigure everything again.

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 17:03
If it's an AWARD bios try this pw:

AWARD_SW

The _ on german keyboards are SHIFT+? if I remember right. There are a few pw's in an AWARD Bios that work everytime. There are more but I can't remember them all. worked for me everytime hehe

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 17:04
Ah found my list again:

General pw's are:

Award-BIOS:

Award
AWARD
AWARD SW
AWARD?SW
AWARD_PS
AWARD_PW
AWARD_SW
j256
j262
J256
J262
J64
q_l27&z
ALFAROME
BIOSTAR
BIOSSTARAMI-BIOS:

ami
AMI
AMI_SW
AMI?SW
AMI?PW
A.M.I.
oder
PASSWORDPhoenix-BIOS:

BIOS
CMOS
phoenix
PHOENIXgenerell:

aLLy
awkward
BIOSTAR
CONDO
HLT
lkwpeter
LKWPETER
SER
setup
SKY_FOX
Sxyz
Syxz
SZYX
Wodj

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 17:35
lol

Do you hack in your spare time?

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 00:57
If the computer is still on garanty, u could maybe ask the support guys from the company u've purchased there to fix it for ya. If not, u should use indi's tips. If I was the support however, I should unlock the computer for a nice amount of money It's just no need to set a password in the bios in a personal computer :S

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 04:19
Hacking? No hacking involved, it's a little known fact that most BIOS's have default passwords, to get around the set password. Kinda negates the purpose of the password but it prevents users from doing damage, by shorting the mother board, removing battery, etc.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 06:11
... i go with the bios battery thing... or you could go on a seperate comp... there is a program you can get it fits on a floppy... it lets you go into the bios through a different method... it lets you edit the variables in your bios... you can do anything you want to a computer from there... overclock... disable passwords... plant keyloggers... so on... like on winxp beta how you could boot up in safe mode edit your registry and change something that said "activation code" from 1 to 0 ... then something that said "reg done" from 0 to 1... so simple... they fixed that... still works sometimes... =D

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 11:18
DarthPuff: What program is this?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 02:43
i dunno... i forgot... =\ once its on the floppy in this mode its either format or not format... cant view whats on it ... when it runs it doesnt tell you

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:17:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:17:03