Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro] Tiger in a Bubble

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 03:01 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 03:16

Tiger in a Bubble
Sloth Creations Facebook page
Sloth Creations website

Why on Earth is there a Tiger in a Bubble? Well, we’re not on Earth. You play a Tiger who has been teleported to an alternate dimension which lacks oxygen. You must navigate a puzzle packed realm of virtual insanity, collecting mystical orbs to power portals in hope that one portal will teleport you back home. The direction of gravity in this dimension is relative to the player and can be changed throughout the game. Each puzzle requires you to manipulate your relative gravity, bounciness and floatation to complete.

Features Overview:
- A player’s direction of gravity is changeable. There is localised gravity for each player – not real world gravity. EG: in multiplayer games it is possible for a player to be walking along the top of a platform, whilst another players gravity is reversed to their so that they are walking along the underside of the platform.
- The size of a players bubble affects their floatation. A small bubble will stay on the ground and a large bubble will float above the level.
- Bubble powered machines – platforms, fans, traps, and cannons.
- Single player modes – puzzle, and time trial.
- Multiplayer modes – puzzle coop, time trial, death match, last tiger standing, capture the flag.

Platform:
- Multiplayer is supported through LAN and the internet.
- A Level editor is to be released with the game.
- An online network is planned to be set up for players to share achievements, high scores, and levels that they have created.

Level Design:
The alternate dimension has a surreal environment where the typical level comprises of a system of floating platforms deserted in a psychedelic void of space.
The levels are designed in a puzzle fashion.

Art Direction:
The graphics style is retro 3D graphics, similar to games of the mid-90’s which is becoming a preference for modern indie game developers (such as Minecraft).

Sound and Music:
The game sound effects follow the wacky retro theme with a psychedelic influence. The background arcade style music is of an upbeat nature designed to excite the player.

User Interface and Game Controls:
There is a simple system for controlling the player’s movement. These are configurable by the user. Only 4 keys are needed to move around the world, and one other input to move the camera around when you want to look. The default system for this is the arrow keys on the keyboard to move around, and mouse input to move the camera around. It is planned to make the game compatable with usb game controllers.
The HUD is minimalistic. Useful data for the player is always displayed at the top of the screen. Game messages and multiplayer chat scroll up from the bottom of the screen and fade away as they get higher.

No signature found...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 03:04 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 03:06

No signature found...

Attachments

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 03:05 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 03:06

No signature found...

Attachments

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 03:05 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 03:06

No signature found...

Attachments

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 03:08 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 03:12
I started prototyping parts of this game almost a year ago, but I didnt officially start working on the actual game until 2 months ago.

I shall be displaying a demo for this game at this years AVCon in The Indie Games Room.

I am planning on releasing a demo in the next week, so keep an eye out on the Facebook page as that will be the first location I announce it.

No signature found...
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 05:13
Looks awesome can't wait to try the demo. What do you use for collision/physics ?

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 05:22 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 06:19
Thanks.
Im using sparkys for collision.

Tiger in a Bubble
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
The backgrounds are very distracting and harsh on the eyes. They stand out much more than the actual level.

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 02:49
Thanks for the feedback. First negative response to the backgrounds.
Would you say that the third background shown, the dark blue and green one, is less harsh than the first two backgrounds?
I ask this because if you think the last one is not too harsh compared to the others, I would consider dulling the others down a bit to that level.

Tiger in a Bubble
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, the last background is much duller and less harsh. For the first two, the bright contrasting colors don't work well for a backdrop.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 03:14
I don't mind the backdrops. Might as well use the whole palette. Can't say whether it's distracting or not without seeing the game moving.

I like how you've got a tiger in a bubble. I can't think of any other games that have this feature.
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Super Monkey Ball, then there is one with guinea pigs i guess, and now it's a tiger.

Not complaining, just an answer to Dr Tank...

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 02:41
Hmmm you think you have a strange unusual idea and then Quel comes along and shows examples of games with similar concepts... oh well

Anyway, this past week I have been doing some bug fixes, creating menus, adding support for gaming controllers, working with fx files, and recording sounds and very basic music.

I think I'll record a bit of gameplay for you to criticise or praise.

Tiger in a Bubble
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 04:09
MonkeyBall, GerBall, who cares? A good idea is a good idea! Looking forward to the video.

Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 08:12 Edited at: 29th Jun 2011 08:29
Heres just 2 quick videos showing snippets from the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWeBIvepAbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjTvZD1hn4

Tiger in a Bubble
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 14:44
That's one crazy game

I really like the way the gravity 'shifts' to match the faces.

Very interesting project, keep it up!

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 15:11
That looks really nice. I'm jealous of those shaders.

Looking forward to seeing how the gameplay is for myself!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 21:58
Looks pretty sweet. Nice shaders.
Brk_oth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 14:18 Edited at: 27th Jul 2011 14:25
There has been a bit of work done here and there in the past month, most of it though was mainly level design to get the game ready to show.

Some of the things I have done are:
- Added timer based movement so that the game runs at the same speed regardless of fps.
- if you collect an orb and dont touch the ground afterwards (eg a suicide collect; fall off the edge to collect it), it is null and void and so the orb is replaced when you restart.
- checkpoints, and when you die and restart, you can choose where to restart from.

I displayed the game at AVCON last weekend in The Indie Games Room, I would say it was a success - there were only a couple of bugs discovered, but nothing as bad as some of the other games I was watching over the weekend, some of them totally crashed and they had to restart the game.
I was happy to find out that the game would run perfectly for 8 hours straight without slowing down and lagging and no apparent memory leaks.
I got some good feedback and suggestions. I have been implementing some of the suggestions in the past 2 days.

I would like to do a bit more work on the menu system before releasing a demo out to everyone on the internet, so hopefully a demo will be out very soon.

Oh and this was my set up on the weekend

Tiger in a Bubble

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:26:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:26:23