Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] [Critical Mass] - RTS Community Aided Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:02 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 16:01

INTRODUCTION

Hi everyone,

I've been programming for a good 4/5 years now (not too long I am aware), but I think I am now educated enough to put together a game project of my own. I think one of the biggest reasons for me posting this thread so early on is that it gives me a feel for feedback of the community and helps me keep my game completely organised, well more so that it would have been in my head.

I'd like to quickly explain what I mean by 'it gives me a feel for feedback of the community'. I'd like to make a very unique RTS -modern day- style game, the only issue is that one persons imagination can only take them so far. So what I would love to have, is input from all people who would feel interested in a game such as this, and together we could come up with ideas for a top notch RTS game.

GAME BACKGROUND
Entering this game, there were very broad views of what it could become. This means that we are not dedicated to a specific endgame from the very beginning and we can be inivotive regarding units/levels through out. After a chat with the first person to become a member of the team for this, it became evident that we would like three teams, Soviets, Allied Nations and Rebel Forces. Once again these names are not finalised, but I will talk about the team aspects in a bit of detail later on. The time period which we have focused on is modernday, with one of two units showing a glimse into the future, such as a teleporting and mind control unit.

Now I am aware that this seems alot like red alert two regarding the units and time period, but we are planning to make drastic changes to game play, and with suggestions from the community, create lots of interesting features for this game.

TEAMS AND TECHNOLOGY

So far we have three established team styles. These are below;

Soviets (Russia)

This team is a brute force team. They are most concerned with building a large army, and their abilities contribute towards this aspect of command. They also focus on power generation, and their buildings/units show this. There is a super unit involving mind control here also.

Allied Nations (America)

This team is a high tec team. They are concerned with building small high tec squads which will infiltrate bases or eliminate enemy patrols while taking as fewer casualties as possible. They also focus on large resource gathering, as their high tec units are expensive. Their command abilities evidently increase these features of their gameplay.

Rebel Forces (Middle East)

This team is still being developed.

COMMUNITY QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS

Here I would like to ask you a few questions and I'll document all feedback from people to get a feel for how you think this game should be styled as well as any features which people think would be a good feature to have.

Questions;

Features'

PROGRESS REPORT

Here are some progress shots and videos of what we have managed to achieve so far. This will be updated after major modifications.

NOTES AND MISC MATERIAL

Soviet Technology Tree (Buildings);

American Technology Tree (Buildings);

Below is a list of everyone who has helped the development of this project and I would like to thank them all;

Contact

If anyone would like to take privately about anything related to this game, feel free to contact me on the below email.

Thanks for everyones time, hope we get comments and suggestions soon!!

A

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea's are very good, and the video is impressive.

1) What is your computers highest resolution?
1920x1080

2) Do you think teams should have one or two superweapons?
Two or three.

3) Do you think there should be a limit on the number of superweapons?
Yes, or make them extremely expensive + long build time.

4) Are there any names you believe would be good for a game of this style?
No idea, I'm no good with names.

and heres a feature request: Strategic Zooming, so you can scroll out to view the entire battlefield, or right into to the action.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 01:34 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 01:34
@Serial Velocity
Thanks for your reply, I've noted down your comments and will change the games structure to compensate for the ideas

@Everyone
I've released two new screen shots! One is ingame, and the other is of the new standard soviet tank! Its my first model so go easy on the criticism!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 03:13 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 15:21
Looks nice Arenas. Also the tank is perfect, great quality on both mesh and texture.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, just wanted to toss in my two cents here in terms of the rebel forces team, seeing as it is noted as still being developed. I'd imagine these forces would mainly be about striking hard and fast to do as much damage as possible before withdrawing and gtfo'ing, since head-on combat for a rebel force isn't exactly the best idea, aye?

To that end, possibly their units could have a higher movement speed than the other teams units? Something of that nature, or perhaps the abilities of their units could be oriented towards hit-and-run tactics, like the ability to swiftly traverse cliffy terrain that other units otherwise would not be able to in order to perform a surprise guerilla-style attack to cause some damage then withdraw?

What do you think?
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 03:58
If you ever need some models, drop me an email. Usually I will do a low poly object (like i'm sure these have to be) for free, and I love RTS's so I can guarantee it for you. This looks really nice so far, albeit very simple atm. Good luck on this!

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 09:25 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 23:24
@Deathead
Thanks, comments like these keep me engaged and excited to continue with this project!

@Tom0001
I was thinking, rather than having them out run units, they could have stealth abilities? That way, when you attack with them, you have to be careful that you attack at the right moment against the right size enemy force. If you don't, then the force could chase you and hunt down your troops. However, if you attack correctly, you could take out a few units and escape unharmed!

If they were to be faster units, then they would also need to have weaker fire power, else there would be little an american/soviet force could do with 1 on 1 unit combat.

@Design Runner
Thanks, would you like to create a unit or a building? I'll email you once I receive your reply, couple of ground rules for the models through, poly count is less than 500 ideally, texture size if 512x512 (if you generate it in 1024x1024 then I can scale it down no problem), and I can add any animations which may be required for the model

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 15:29 Edited at: 21st Jun 2011 03:29
Just wandering where is the game going to be set, in the middle east? etc. Or are you going to have it in a array of places? Because I could do some scenery for the maps. I was also thinking about having a go at modelling some of the buildings in the Soviet Tech Tree you posted. Also what time-frame are you going with future? Modern?

Edit: Another thing, in terms of the games units(Soldiers etc.) what are the general guidelines for them like the certain amount of Polygons and texture size?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 18:45 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 18:47
@Deathead
Heres the answer to some of your other questions;

Quote: "Just wandering where is the game going to be set, in the middle east?"

Set in various places, city scapes, deserts, artic areas. All these places are in the more developed world.

Quote: "Also what time-frame are you going with future? Modern?"

Its mainly modernday, with special units being slightly sci-fi. E.g. basic soldier uses machine gun, and the mec soldier uses invisibility or mind control.

Quote: "what are the general guidelines for them like the certain amount of Polygons and texture size?"

Poly count is 500 max, and texture size 512x512.

@Everyone
If you would like to make a model, please run it by myself first, because it may not suit or be necessary for the game, or it may already being made by someone else.

A

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 22:18
Quote: "Thanks, I'll would you like to create a unit or a building?"

No problem, I can make as many as you need.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: Ok, could you drop me an email of what you want(Units etc.) and I'll get cracking on making them. I also just want to do some modelling and texturing so I'll do it for free.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 23:31 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 23:32
@Design Runner

Quote: "No problem, I can make as many as you need. "

Thats great! Would you like to create some form of research facility then? If you dont think its too bigger task. If you need any inspiration, look at the command and conquer red alert 2 battle labs and the command and conquer generals zero hour Strategy Center, Propaganda Center and Palace.

@Deathead

Quote: "I also just want to do some modelling and texturing so I'll do it for free."

Would you be able to create a War Factory, which is where tanks are produced. Again, for references as to the style, feel free to look at red alert 2 and generals (china faction).

@Both
Thanks you two! This will be a great help, and I'd love to fill out all these non-completed buildings as soon as possible! Units will most definitely be next!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 00:05 Edited at: 16th Jun 2011 00:31
Quote: "Would you be able to create a War Factory, which is where tanks are produced. Again, for references as to the style, feel free to look at red alert 2 and generals (china faction)."

Can do.. So, Command and Conquer very distinguished look? So you know which is Russian and which is American etc.?

Edit: Also are you including any airbourne vehicles as I'm currently designing the look now, and was wandering if you needed any area on the building that would spawn aircrafts.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Spawn for all units are separate buildings, the Command centre is purely there for tec unlocks. Though yes, this is the C&C look im going for with all these units and buildings.

To distinguish between american and Russian, there will be two separate buildings, both coloured separately with the logo of each team on them.

A

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 04:08
I almost have the American building done, but a quick question: what file format do you want the textures in?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
The file formats in use are '.x' and '.dds'. Good job, look forward to seeing screenshots!

A

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 00:38 Edited at: 17th Jun 2011 00:39
How is this?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking for a bit more detail on textures and models, the core structure looks unique, but the base plate we use is a single plain, and not a box. It would be best to add more detail in the basic texture and remove the grass, as the model may be constructed in an artic region or desert, and so the grass base would look out of place.

Try a few barrels and boxes on the base instead to liven it up.

A

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 12:51
Nice one .

I'll see if i can model you something? What do you need? I mean - some buildings but what type of them? Maybe an airport? Planes ?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you build me a repair site? Some place where tanks go to be repaired? So an open or place which can be driven into. It needs to accommodate vehicles of all sizes.

A

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 00:38
Sorry, i will be offline for the next two days, yet could you draw me something in paint to show the basic look you'd like?

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 00:52
Is this an improvement? I am just trying to find the appropriate level of detail you would like, might take a few more tries. Wouldn't want to overshoot it.

Also, would you like textures shader ready? (D, S, N)

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@kamac
Thanks fine, lets have a sketch up to see what you have in mind.

@Design Runner
The base needs to be a plain and not a box, possibly put a barbed wire fence round the building? Then I would say it seems done. Also, the models dont need to be shader ready currently. I may add an illumination map at a later stage, but not sure what else.

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 03:30 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 03:30
Still need to add a base but this is what I have so far; I hope it fits with the style of the game.

Attachments

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks pretty dam nice! I would only say that when you generate the texture, if you could save it in such a way that the red paint for the object can have it's colour changed, as the teams all will have different colours on skirmish. Though the model at texture looks imense! Can't wait to include it in game then I can begin on unit creation!!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: I have a PSD saved so I can directly change the colours to any colour, unless you want to do it by dbpro.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Its great as it is there, although at some point when I begin with skirmishes I'll need to get 8 texture variations for all possible team colours. If it would be possible to send a copy of that model in direct x form with a dds texture to my email that would be great! I'll begin implementing on that straight away too!!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: The Texture part is fine. So the base would it be fine if it were just a concrete slab underneath it? Or don't you need a base for this building?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@Deathead
I think a base would be best. Don't have it as a box, but as a single plain, which covers the area of the models x/z.

@All
New video is being uploaded for a demonstration of simple individual unit movement. Multiple unit movement is my next task, followed by path finding and finally waypoint movement.

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 15:00 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 15:04
@Arenas: In terms of scale do you have a rough guideline so I can scale it or will you scale yourself? As I do not know how big your tank is to the war factory.

Edit: Also loving the unit movement, the tanks have a great sense of weight as they move.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 15:12
This project is looking awesome, its great the way people are providing models too, great community we have here

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@Matty H
Yeah, really good community here, great encouragement and support from everyone!

@Deathead
I can scale it myself, no worried with that issue. I'll animate everything else and work out any other issues.

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: Can you convert a .png into a .dds, as for some reason my .dds photoshop plugin has decided not to work.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I will be able to do that no problem.

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 17:11 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 18:29
@Arenas: Sent you the war-factory, it should be attached in a zip. Enjoy.lol

So what else do you need.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I'll add you to the credits now. Could you make a nuclear missile? This includes a deployment animation! As well as if you are to show the rocket which is launched in the model, then I would need to have the rocket as a separate model also. This is much more complicated than the last model, but if you keep up the standard of the last model it will look damm impressive! Heres a summary of what I'm looking for in this;

Models;
-> Nuclear Sylo / Nuclear Launch building (either)
-> Nuclear Missile (will be used to drop on the target location once launched)

Animations;
-> Building Priming for launch (something visible to say missile is ready)
-> Closure of priming (something to return the priming back to a standard missile building)
-> Launch of rocket (have this go very high into the air.)

The building will launch its missile and this will zoom off camera view, the building will run the animation to re-prep for the next missile, then the missile will return to the building while it is priming for next launch (but not visible to the user, who still thinks its on course for the target). A new model of just the missile will be created above the target, and dropped, creating the effect of a launch and detonation.

I hope you accept this model! One of the trickier ones, and from the war factory, it would look amazing to have in-game!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 19:44 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 19:45
Ok sounds cool. I'll do a silo as it sounds more simple.lol Edit: But in terms of the missile I won't be able to do smoke so are you going to use DBPro's particle system?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll manage with partials for the smoke, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, your model is now in-game, im adjusting a bit of the textures to make it fit with the other model, then I'll release some screens sometime tomorrow.

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Just to let you know I'm currently texturing the missile. I hope the war factory looks ok in-game.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 17:25 Edited at: 19th Jun 2011 17:39
1280x1024 (but I keep it at 1024x768)

Two (or perhaps different teams have different numbers)

Yes.

4) I think it would be cool if it was named something like "Conquest: 2063" or whatever year it is supposed to be. Just what I think.

Hey A r e n a s, great work. this project is really going well! I posted those team symbols you wanted on my icon request thread, would you prefer them here? I could easily move them if you would like.
I'm temporarily putting this one here, I'll move it or the others depending on your reply.

In soviet Russia you don't make game, game makes you!

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you scale the hammer and sickle down a bit possibly to 70% of current size? Then I think I'll take Russian symbol. The others arent quite what Im looking for, like not a flag as such, but more the pure symbol which could be used as a stamp on units. So if you consider the american symbol is an eagle, if you could in-corperate an eagle into the symbol that would be cool.

Your question answers ive also taken into consideration. I think on skirmish I'll give people the option to limit super-weapons and in the campaign there is a set limit for your side.

A

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 20:51
@Deathead

Looking at your entry, i give up . It's better not to overpower my skills .

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
@A r e n a s
sure. I can do that. The Russian one was the only that I really liked anyway. I can make those changes. I was also wondering: are your buildings going to be animated and have moving pistons, opening doors, blinking lights , moving cranes , etc ,etc. Or are they going to be static?

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@kamac
No worries then, though the project may take a bit longer without you!

@xilith117
They will become animated at a later stage, though currently I dont want any animations. I just want to manage the core engine, then add extra features such as animations at a later stage.

A

TheConnorian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 10:03
1366 by 786

one

yes make them super expensive but super powerful so that its a chore to build one but when built it raises your enemy's whole base.

4) Are there any names you believe would be good for a game of this style?
thinking... ill get back to you on that.

also I'd like to do some modeling so any ideas on what kinda things you were thinking of for infantry in particular or other units?
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 14:04
Quote: "@kamac
No worries then, though the project may take a bit longer without you!"

You made me worry . I'll see what can i make.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "also I'd like to do some modeling so any ideas on what kinda things you were thinking of for infantry in particular or other units?"

For infantry, I haven't developed any tech trees yet, but there will be a standard trooper with a machine gun, a rocket soldier and an engineer for every team, that much is define. If you'd like to model a Russian soldier feel free to choose from those three above. I'll work on the unit lists once I have the engine in further development.

Quote: "You made me worry . I'll see what can i make."

Cool, post as many screens of your work for this as you'd like!

A

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2011 05:11
Alright, added the fence, now I'm working on the texture (in its very basic form atm). This is truly about the fourth building model I have made, so bear with me. When you have me working on units they will be about 120% better

Attachments

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@Design Runner
Looks much better! Cant wait to see the finished model. If people send me models they'll be quickly incorporated into the game!

@Deathead
You model is already in-game and working perfectly!

@Everyone
Sorry about the updates being slow on this thread at the moment, I'm going through path finding and currently its just showing me masses of numbers on screen. I need to complete this pathfinding system in my stripped down version, then I'll incorporate it into the main game, ready to bring you all another update!

A

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: Nice. Although I may not be able to get your missile silo done. As I've been meaning to get my project started up and I want to focus on that and revising for some exams, but if you want any small scenery like dumpsters etc. Just ask as they won't take up as much time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:57:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:57:23