Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / Progress update on PureGDK and beta 7 (and a little bit on the future!)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 07:20 Edited at: 16th Jun 2011 07:22
The next beta release of PureGDK is going to be delayed by a couple of weeks while I try not to drown amidst all of the work I have to do.

Part of this work involves mobile development and the research I'm doing right now will hopefully help further advances with PureGDK, which I also hope will become a framework for providing a native solution across multiple platforms including iOS and Android.

At some point down the line after PureGDK 2.0 has been released I will being work on decoupling the renderer from the engine so that it can be completely swapped out to something else such as DirectX 10/11 or OpenGL for Mac/Linux/mobile development.

I'll definitely get this next update to you guys as soon as possible. I just don't want you to think that development has stalled or anything. I've got some time off coming up and hope to get PureGDK completely finished then.

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 15:06
Good news !, thanks, Mistrel, for your amazing work !
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 11:48 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 12:13
Here is a look at the layout of a function in the new documentation being built for the next beta.

The documentation will come in the excellent .chm format with an index and full text search.

All source code and templates for the documentation builder will be available in the SDK for you to help extend the existing docs and also for you to apply to your own projects if you like.

Remember that PureGDK 2.0 has been designed to be portable to other programming languages. But this isn't limited to only the engine. The documentation builder also has the flexibility to build documentation specific to a target language. All of the constants, parameters, samples, and example code will update accordingly.

The documentation for C++:

The same documentation for PureBasic:

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is totally over the top of my expectations. I bet it takes you a lot of time to build it. Well done!

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.5 + PureGDK 2.0b
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2011 02:16 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 05:36
Quote: "I bet it takes you a lot of time to build it."

It takes about.. 3 seconds on my computer to build all of the html and another few seconds to compile the .chm file. There are over 2,000 pages about 37,000 procedurally generated links in the entire document.

In the documentation builder source code, none of the language output is hard coded. Everything that is language specific is formatted by a language plugin as aggregate data. This data is used by various other tools to build headers, libraries, and the format of the documentation.

The source code for these plugins is freely available as part of the PureGDK SDK and are about 700-800 lines of code each. This is all that's required to add support for a new language.

Additional example projects and documentation source examples not included, of course.

Once I get this thing out I hope it will be a hop skip and a jump to add support for things like FreeBasic, Python, Perl, and C. Java will take some work but I think it's doable!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:25:19