Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP] Project : SPACE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 06:20 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2011 05:55
Hey all I have decided to go ahead with my first WIP thread displaying what I have learned over the last couple months with DBPro. I'm really enjoying the language and look forward to learning more of it.

The year is 2101 and a new program called Project : SPACE has been formed by the E.A.S.E (Earth Allies for Space Exploration also referred to by some as "ez") in an effort to explore space at a much higher level and to protect earth from an increasingly dangerous alien threat. The alien nation Nalgarth has developed a new alien communication device known only as T.B.R.D (Telecommunications, Broadcasting, and Radio Device. Also referred to as “T-Bird”) in an effort to communicate with other alien nations in complete secrecy and hold earth from becoming a symbol of power in the universe.

Your first mission will be to gather any information and alien communication devices you can.

--Newest Screenshots--

--Newest Gameplay Video--

--Development Page at GoldenCrown Studio--
http://www.goldencrownstudio.com/projectspace.htm

--GoldenCrown Studio YouTube Channel--
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoldenCrownStudio

I'm looking forward to everyone's comments regarding the game

zappi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 11:42
it's good for a starting continue it

Sei Italiano Vieni a trovarci su http://www.making-videogames.net/giochi/index.php
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 21:59
looks nice, good job!

TheComet

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 00:06
Looks like it's off to a good start.

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 03:29 Edited at: 21st Jun 2011 03:32
Haha thanks guys. I was really hoping this wasn't a premature post in everyone's eyes. I've been following the forums nearly everyday for quite some time and didn't really want to post anything until I felt that I was far enough along. Just took me longer than I really had thought since I was learning everything from scratch and that most of my experience to this point has been on the art and design side. Anyways, thank you for the kind words

As for the project tonight I am working on the missions system and will try to get all the dialogue displayed and the appropriate notifications popping up based on how long the player has been in the first mission. I'm a little unsure at this point how I will handle the missions but I think I may have some sort of idea and will at least try it out tonight to see how that works.

Oh and I was wondering if anyone had a good resource to check out how to program AI. Anything even that just broadly covers the topic would be appreciated. I plan on doing a lot of research here very soon on the subject but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be cool

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 00:03 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 00:03
This is definitely far enough along for a WIP. Nice work for a first project.

If you have money, the book Programming Game AI by Example by Mat Buckland is really good. For a space shooter I suppose some scripted flight patterns with obstacle avoidance (asteroids, and possibly player shots!) would be adequate enough.

I don't know of any online resources I mainly have books, someone else can chime in, I'm sure.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 04:26 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 04:28
Thank you very much tiresius for the kind words and for the AI book reference. I read several of the reviews of the book and they were all giving the book high praise so I will plan on buying it tonight I will definitely just have to mainly give AI more thought myself as well. AI was one section of the game I have yet to really sit down and figure out how I am going to go about handling it.

I have been working on missions for the game and finished coding the basic structure last night and will flesh it out with some mission text and notifications tonight. Tomorrow night I plan on just doing some basic research and planning on the enemy AI

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2011 07:19 Edited at: 30th Jun 2011 06:07
Thought I would go ahead and post a screenshot of the game with something actually in the background rather than just plain blackness lol. Nothing much really but makes the game look a little better. Just played around with some settings in blender to create that background so nothing real special atm. Thanks for looking

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 03:03
Just wanted to update my progress. I have added in functionality for multiple enemies and timer based movements of those enemies. I will be working on adding in the firing functionality for the enemies as well as working on getting some of the graphics on menus and ships looking better. I plan on releasing a video of gameplay in the coming weeks

[url=http://www.goldencrownstudio.com/Project%20SPACE/sig.jpg[/img][/url]
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 16:44 Edited at: 29th Jun 2011 16:45
The graphics look really clear and crisp, but you should really throw some stars in there I can't really comment on the gameplay until you release a demo or a video

Quote: "Edit: Not really sure what is going on with my image not showing properly"

Make sure the URL is enclosed in [ img]URL[/ img] tags (without the spaces).

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 18:46 Edited at: 30th Jun 2011 05:36
Thanks Serial Velocity I guess maybe it's a hosting issue as far as my image goes because I've checked and double checked and the image still won't display.

I definitely need to make some backgrounds but that was going to be the easier part for me and I mainly have been wanting to focus on coding everything and having a good start on that before I got more into fleshing the game out in both menu functionality and graphics.

I really can't wait to release a video showing the game because I'm really proud of what I have been able to accomplish at this point and look forward to continuing on improving my skills. I know this game isn't really all that great and has been made a million times over but the learning experience is just great

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2011 05:38
Apparently I was keeping my photos in the wrong spot so I now have that all situated. Here is an updated shot showing the new enemy model that I made with some color issues that I need to resolve. I set the colorkey to magenta and will probably change it to a shade of gray to help a little bit.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2011 12:08
Looks great!

Nice work on the graphics

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2011 22:40
Thanks baxslash

I plan on fixing a few minor bugs and then updating portions of the graphics and then I will post a new video of the gameplay

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 10:49 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2011 01:21
Here is an early look at the game going. Thanks for watching

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 08:36 Edited at: 7th Jul 2011 08:40
Been working on improving several things in the game over the last several days. I have the enemy ships firing lasers now as well as a boss flying in at the end of the level. I've implemented a debris system and hope to incorporate that into the enemy explosions and get rid of the current placeholder. I also changed the upgrade pickups and make them move along the y axis towards the player.

I plan on completing the health system for the player as well as the ship counts within the next couple days and make a new boss model and then I will make a new video of gameplay.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 06:15
Well, i think your project looks good! i like the graphic of it, they look pretty good, it's sort of hard to tell if it's the actual object or a rendered one! haha, i can also tell you are using Blender for the models, especially in one of the HUD buttons(the "score" one). you can tell that you rendered that in blender also, not a bad thing but it looks sort of N64-ish and generic, try adding a more futuristic style to your HUD also, add some transparency and whatnot just to fit the theme.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger that 600 x 120.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 16:20
This is not a put down, just a request.

Quote: "not a bad thing but it looks sort of N64-ish and generic, try adding a more futuristic style to your HUD also, add some transparency and whatnot just to fit the theme."

Following on from Travis's point, in terms of gameplay and graphics; at the moment it seems like the gameplay is good, but the graphics seem to need a little 'spice up' and colour (or color ) management.

Nothing major; I do feel you are somewhat aware of this, but in my opinion based on my graphics experience, creating an interfaced screen with more than three prominent colours can make the graphics look cheaper than if co-ordinated. This does not apply to functional use of colour, such as for your health bars and icons, however, I would surround these elements with textured backgrounds and borders based on a consitent theme; and as Travis pointed out, some transparency and anti-aliasing would improve the look of the sprites.

It appears as though you are using a pink masking colour key with your ship sprites; if this is the case, then 24bit transparent PNG files without a colour key look better because they will smooth out the edges without all the pink dots.

Notice that in the following StarCraft screen shot, although developed by a large team, it demonstrates that even a game built over 10 years ago can look good with effective colour management; it has few prominent colours.

The screen is consistently decorated with blue as the primary colour, and green & orange as secondary. All other colours are reduced in saturation, even in the game level follows the theme.

Keep up the good work

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 04:41
Thank you for the comments guys I really appreciate your interest . I definitely need to work on graphics more and address some of the key issues with color as you point out. The HUD background is definitely temporary and way too bright for the end result. I plan on sitting down and adding a lot more detail as well to it as some point like you see in the HUD from StarCraft.

As far as coding the game I have been just cleaning up the code. I haven't had much time the last few days to really sit down and do much. I did get the health system started about a week ago and will be working on it some more tonight.

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 05:50 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2011 05:53
Here is a new video of gameplay

I now have a working health and shield bar as well as a boss at the end of the level. Next I'm working on the score counter and working on a new enemy explosion system.

I also want to get everyone's opinion on the current state of the HUD. Would you like to see an actual HUD image behind the current information like I had before? Or do you think it would look to full of clutter? Thank you for all the feedback so far and I look forward to more comments/critiques.

Game Warden
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 23:16
Just wanted to post that this project is not dead and that I have been working slowly on this over the last few weeks. Moving has slightly halted progress on this game but I have been able to get settled down and look forward to continuing to work on this. Any comments and feedback is welcome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:30:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:30:04