Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 19:21
I just downloaded Dark AI, and I have a basic question regarding paths and waypoints. I've got it boiled down to this so far:

Paths are points linked together.
Waypoints are points that are floating aimlessly.

Would it be correct to say that waypoints are sort of the 'glue' that link paths together?

For example....
PPPPP = Path
w = Waypoint
X = my character
T = target position
o = obstacle

So, my little dude is running down the path that he's on, and cannot find a direct link to the other path that he needs to go to... but then lo and be hold, he finds the waypoint, and from that spot he then finds the path he's supposed to go on?

Is that how the AI works, in theory?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2011 18:52
Hi Anwserman

From what I understand, considering that you may have used the [AI ADD WAYPOINT] command to manually add your own waypoint without automatic calculation, your character will travel to the waypoint, and then to the target, per its container. Whether or not your character would avoid the obstacles is unknown to me; because having one way point in the middle of the map may be insufficient.

If you are using [AI COMPLETE OBSTACLES] after adding obstacles using [AI ADD STATIC OBSTACLE]; the system will automatically create the number of waypoints it needs to work out how to get from A to B, without touching the obstacles. It calculates this based on whether an entity can see a waypoint or not, from its current position; whereby the network of waypoints link to a position near the target.

As for paths, they are arrays of points used for causing an entity to patrol; or walk; from point to point from the first point, through to the last in a given path. With a path, you could manually configure how your entity is to travel from A to B (and back again).

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 01:17
A static obstacle is indeed an interpolated bezier curve path, yes?

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT http://imageposeidon.com/ !
Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 20:25
anyone?

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT http://imageposeidon.com/ !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:06:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:06:10