Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Workflow for professional company/game logos?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 19:51
(Couldn't really decide where this belonged (2D vs 3D) so please excuse me if this is the wrong board to put this)

I've actually become accustomed to Corel's PaintShop Pro, and I haven't found it hard to create some good image-based textures and etc. But I'm having trouble learning how to create more of the actual logos and vector designs that big-name games/companys would use. A few examples:

FL Studio:

Internet Explorer:

Firefox:

I'd think that these designs go slightly further beyond vectors and gradients, and I can't seem to think of any other ways they could've been made. Did something like 3D Studio Max or Blender have to be used? Or is there a specific software package I need to use for this kind of work? (Maybe I have to upgrade from PSP to Photoshop?)

Any insight is very appreciated!

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 19:55
Adobe Illustrator would do just fine.

Samotnijat vylk nasred gorata.
-3D,2D Artist,Animator,Web developer and Programmer.
AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 20:22
Alright, it does look like a good vector editing tool... What types of specific features were used in making these logos, though? It looks like the FLS uses some kinds of metallic effects, and the IE/Firefox icons look more like a vector outline that has some sort of advanced gradients and bevels, and so forth. I really just don't know how they were made...

And would illustrator be able to create a logo somewhat like what Starcraft 2 has?

It looks like it uses some lighting/bumpmapping/bloom/etc. Would illustrator still be able to do this for me or would I have to push further into some sort of 3D development suite?

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 20:42 Edited at: 9th Jul 2011 20:46
The starcraft logo seems to use basic beveling.Photoshop has it,and I think Illustrator does as well.

It's not that hard to do these logos,just time consuming.You start off with a vectorized Circle then add a smaller one and add a mask to it for transparency.Set it at ~10% opacity and you get your glass effect.Make 2 or 3 of those layers with different sizes for a better effect.Use gradients to make it look better (in the firefox logo,light blue to dark blue).Same thing goes for the fox,the shapes just have to be hand drawn and would be far more complex.
The metallic effects you see are either simple gradients and/or lighting effects on top of base color layers.

Both Photoshop and Illustrator are capable of producing these.

Samotnijat vylk nasred gorata.
-3D,2D Artist,Animator,Web developer and Programmer.
AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 21:38 Edited at: 9th Jul 2011 21:38
Ah, this makes sense now I should be able to use Paint Shop Pro to do stuff like this, since as far as I know it's capable of doing all these things (not sure about the starcraft bloom effect though, that might be a trick in terms of using layers). Thanks for the help!

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You can go this route a well. It's free and looks great.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 22:39
when he talks about the game, and how his girlfriend had to help him... I laughed.. hard! xD

and for the record, I am a man.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Everysingle one of them you can make in Paint.Net / Photoshop. It is the artists really:

-Sketch
-DrawOutlines with your FTW BAMBOO!
-Paint it...

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 05:11 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 05:16
I would suggest you always use something like Illustrator initially to create a logo. Well actually thats wrong, you need to use a pencil+paper and hash out some design ideas.

The starcraft logo would have been fleshed out in Illustrator first, then styled in Photoshop.

Your workflow should be:
1. Drawings (On pencil and paper)
2. Illustrator (Or a similar vector package)
3. Photoshop (If needed)

Something like the firefox logo could be made in Illustrator, the only problem with the star craft logo is the grittyness of the image, which would have been done in something like photoshop after the majority was done in Illustrator, although thats not saying you couldn't use Illustrator to do it all, its just saying its quicker to add that grunge in photoshop.

(Moved to 2D Chat)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 06:35
It's good to do the logo in vectors for the initial design, that way it can later be scaled to whatever you want and it's also better for printing (pretty much for the same reason).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:13:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:13:07