Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 09:50
Will AppGameKit be compatible with Android 2.2? In the first release?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 10:13
Hi, I can not say for sure but currently it looks like Android will not be included in the first release of AGK.

From the latest newsletter:
Quote: "The command sets for Windows, iOS, Mac OS, and Samsung Bada are now complete. MeeGo is close to completion at the time of writing. The compiler is also reaching completion and we are happy to report that the all-important help and documentation are progressing at the same rate and in tandem with the software."

So maybe the second version then...

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2011 19:04
No, sadly Android support wont be in the first release. They do say it will come though. Just not sure when.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 21:02
Let's hope they stick to <=version 2.2 when it is introduced

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 21:31
I think they're looking at 2.3+. Something about that being the point where C++ development became available as opposed to Java.

I know what you mean though. My Samsung Captivate is still on 2.2 and there's no telling when AT&T will let 2.3 come to it in the US.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 21:35
with great regret, that's me out, for now

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 22:05
With so many platforms available though, there's no reason to limit yourself. Get your game out there, make some money, buy a new phone.

blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 03:01
I would be nice if we could target all major versions of the Android platform so this way we could target a device that has version 2.2 installed and is not updated to version 2.3.

Jason
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
C++ code on Android has been around for a while, however prior to 2.3 devices C++ debugging was near impossible as there were no built in tools to assist. So if they are using a C++ basis, which it sounds like, it is actually a whole lot easier to develop for 2.3+. In terms of sales I wouldn't be too concerned, I'd guess by the time AppGameKit gets support later this year 2.3+ will be the dominant version or close to, it already makes up ~20% of the phones out there.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 17:46
Quote: "I'd guess by the time AppGameKit gets support later this year 2.3+"

I hope not, I have v2.1 and android comparability is all I'm really waiting for, if it doesn't support 2.1 then there's no point in purchasing. :/

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 18:44
What phone do you have that's still running 2.1?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 18:47
Oops, just looked properly and it's 2.2.1

Move along... nothing to see here...

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup. I've got v2.2, and that's the one device I'm interesting in programing for. It would be so disapointing for it not to be suported.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 05:55 Edited at: 18th Jul 2011 05:58
Supporting 2.3 as a minimum isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me... by the time Android support is implemented, it will indeed likely be much more common. However, -proper- Android support is a requirement for me, including the ability to build the proper 'APK' installer as other development tools do (ie the Android SDK, Basic4Android, etc). Basic OpenGL ES support will also eventually be important (loading objects, creating primitives, texturing, rotation/scaling, and transparency). Priority should certainly be given to the #1 mobile platform (particularly the one that is truly open).

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 06:33
http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html
Android C++ development is already possible.
It has been for some time.

Regards,

Max
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2011 11:25
@ Rampage,

Does that mean there's nothing standing in the way of TGC developing for Android for 2.0 or 2.2 upwards.

Although I agree that by the time I have anything worth uploading to even my own tablet ready I will probably have purchased a v3+ Android device anyway (or an iPad if I can ever afford one), it would be nice to hear from TGC a committment to development from v2.2 Android upwards - and an idea of timescales for when they will start developing for Android, when (which quarter, 2011?) they think they might be able to kick out the first version of AppGameKit for Android for...

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Just because C++ is supported on several versions doesn't mean that they all can run the same code. There is quite a bit that can change in between Android versions. That said though, they haven't announced the final details on android compatibility, its possible it can support older versions, we won't know for a while.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 06:03
What we do know according to the poll on Facebook is that Android is the most requested platform for AGK. So I suspect it will be a high priority.

Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
I own and Android 3.1 (honeycomb) Tablet, and it would be great to develop games for this device (without having to learn Java). I'm playing around with Basic4Android, but it just does't have the game development capabilities.

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 13:56
According to a recent report from I believe it was Google. 2.2 is still the most commonly used version with 50-60%. This number is decreasing in favor of 2.3 which I think had just over 25%. There is still phones selling with 2.2 and 2.3 requires too much storage to be added on older phones.

Ice Cream Sandwich or ICS, that is Android 4, is on the way. It will replace both 2.x and 3.x as it will work on both phones and tablets. Depending on when Android will be available in AppGameKit, support for 2.2 may or may not be a good idea. People tend to buy new phones rather often these days.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Basic Android phones are relatively inexpensive compared with iPhones. People tend to change their phone within a 1 year span or even less.

I would say that with ICS only a month or 2 away, better concentrate on the future than delve into the fragmented past of Android.

But I guess that not having Android support on day1 was also a strategic move to see how ICS will be welcomed by the community

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:25