Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Converting from DBPro to AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so hopefully a simple question, I've been working on my first full DBPro game and have a bit of existing code. For the most part is this interchangable with the AppGameKit Tier 1 code? Meaning, will I be able to copy it over, replace various DBPro commands like SET SPRITE ... with their AppGameKit equivalent, or am I going to get stuck starting over? This question is probably best for someone with some hands on experience already with the beta. Thanks.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 00:49
Yes and No. I know, not very helpful.

You will likely be able to take small sections at a time and recode them in AppGameKit fairly easy. For example, to load an image, make a sprite out of it, scale it by 50% and position it in the center of the screen would look like this.

Text is another area that is very different from DBPro, but again they've made it so easy it wont take much time to convert.

To create a text object using your custom bitmap font, set it's size, set it's color, and position it just above center.

You can see more source code in the Asteroid Blast thread. One or two of the commands have changed a little since I posted that, but nothing to major.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 02:41
I've been thinking about writing a converter/optimizer tool, where one of the functions would be to translate DBPRO source code into AGK tier 1 and/or tier 2.

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, my game is mostly sprites, seems like this won't be too difficult. Thanks for the input.

Btw KISTech, just noticed you're in Portland, I'm from there originally, Seattle now.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 05:51
Yay, another Oregonian on the boards!! There's another near Coos Bay.

I moved up to Portland from California in 1982. We lived in Southest, on the edge of Gresham.

Moved away in 90 for school and a job, then moved back in 96. Just couldn't stay away.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 17:02
Such a tool would be very useful to DBPro users moving projects over to AGK. Let me know if you decide to make it.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:21:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:21:51