Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Integrating Commercial Dark GDK with more updated Dark GDK for VS 2008?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 04:13
Basically, I now have Dark GDK(Commercial), Dark GDK.NET(Commercial) and have downloaded, tinkered 'till it worked, the newer and most updated Dark GDK(Freeware) with my copy of Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition, and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Edition...

Don't worry, it's not stolen, I got it through a class I took in college, so it was a Microsoft Certified class, and I'm allowed to download the above and many other software from Windows XP (All Editions) through Windows 7(All Editions) including Server Versions...

Anyway, here are my questions in order starting with the most important to me:

1.) As stated in the subject, will, and if so, how, will I use the commercial files along with the newer Dark GDK files that have been updated on October 2010? As in, how do I make commercial programs using the most recent Microsoft IDE(.NET or other wise) and compiler and the most recent Dark GDK version with all updates applied?

2.) Will the most updated Dark GDK / DGDK.NET work with VS 2008 and above, Express, Pro, and Ultimate with all Plugins I own (Dark PhysX, Dark AI, EZRotate?)

3.) How do I use the above plugins with Dark GDK.NET (Specifically VB 2008 Pro, VB 2010 Ultimate?) I didn't see a download for it in the My Products page under my TGC Account.

Thank you,

MickeyIII

"We do what we have to do so that we may do what we want to do!"

-Denzel Washington-
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 17:19 Edited at: 17th Jul 2011 17:24
"Use the commercial files along with the newer Dark GDK files" seems to be a misunderstanding. For Dark GDK, there is no difference between "commercial files" and "free files". The difference is only the license. If you have a commercial license, then you can sell the games you make with Dark GDK, otherwise you can't sell them. But there is no difference in files.

The original Dark GDK installer installs the original libraries and headers, and some extra material: tutorials, help, models to experiment with, etc. The updates replace the libraries and headers that are actually needed to compile a Dark GDK program, while they don't contain or replace any of the extra material. So you can either overwrite the libraries/headers with the downloaded update, or put the update files in a different directory and set the compiler directories to the latest version. It's possible to have several versions in different directories and you can change with which of them you want to compile.

For Dark GDK .NET, AFAIK there is only a commercial version, so again it's easy, there is only one version. (But I don't use it so correct me if I'm wrong.) Quotation from here:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=upgrade

"Dark GDK is freely available and requires a commercial license if you wish to sell games. Dark GDK .NET on the other hand is not freely available, however, when purchasing it comes complete with a commercial license."

Regarding the "most recent compiler..." question: Dark GDK was designed for MS Visual Studio 2008 (which version of 2008, Express or Professional, it doesn't really matter). In the latest update, libraries for MS Visual Studio 2010 were provided and there are now (at last) setup instructions as well, but the plugins might not be compatible with that. Which plugins work with a newer compiler and which don't, I guess you can only find out by trial and error. At least I haven't seen information or a list about plugin compatibility yet, but again, correct me if someone knows better.

Dark GDK .NET is not sure to work with VS 2010, but the .NET version has its own forum and I guess you'd better ask on that forum what is the current status of the product.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=37

You'd also best ask in the Dark GDK .NET forum whether it is possible to use plugins meant for Dark GDK from .NET language or not, and if yes, how. If you can't get an answer on the other forum, you can also try to send an e-mail to TGC about it.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 17:50 Edited at: 17th Jul 2011 17:57
EDIT: Disregard this. One thing is sure, everything should work with Visual Studio 2008.
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 18:40
Thank you, that clears it up quite a bit, so I'm sticking with VS 2008 Pro.

Also, one other question from the info provided. If the .h and .lib files and all themselves are indeed not encrypted with my license or whatever, and I try to sell what I make, how would TGC go about determining whether I'm doing it legally or not? Is there a special text file or something that I simply include in the root folder of my game? Please clarify. Not that I'm in any hurry.

"We do what we have to do so that we may do what we want to do!"

-Denzel Washington-
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have a commercial license, so I don't know how it works. Maybe someone else can answer?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 17:26:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 17:26:19