Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Zombie Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 20:36 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2011 01:35
This is my untitled(thus far) zombie game, here are the things completed:
Load Levels from my level editor(Link below)
Bullet and player collision
Customer particle system, programmed from the ground up for max control
Blood sticks on the ground when it hits
You have limited ammo in a clip now, right click to reload
Movement
Sound effects
Pathfinding(still needs work)
Set AI spawn points in level editor and load them up in game
You can now shoot each zombie and it will die, the only one you cant shoot right now is the one following you around.

Shaders
Storyline
Items & Inventory system
Event driven scripting system

Video:
http://youtu.be/GGh7Dumadcs

Pictures:

]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 12:33
You should make a short video so we can get the feel of it!

To be honest I'm a little confused.By the zombies left arm it looks great but all of the others have a really boxy look to it.

Keep on addin!

The fastfood zombie killer
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 14:26 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 19:14
Hi Dodga, I'm planning out my Zombie Survival Horror MMOFPSRPG. There are a bazillion Zombie games, so I asked myself what really makes a good one? I've concluded that its fun to tear them apart. Every good Zombie shooter I've played lets you blast zombies to bits: House of the Dead, Left 4 Dead, others. So I'm researching for methods used to achieve gore effects such as the GHOUL Engine.

My goal is devise a zombie destruction system that lets target and damage certain body parts, with specific consequence. I'm also considering using more substantial hand-combat destruction like in Manhunt. Even the Environment should be destructible. Perhaps, using your Particle system you can use bits of intestine, eyeballs, and other organs to give your game extra gore.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
hey that does sound like a good idea, and ive been thinking of a similar system actually, just trying to think of something practical.

Also this inst a zombie game per se, the real plot is similar to the movie the cell mixed with inception. So there will be monsters but they will be projections of a serial killers mind, they do need to be highly destructible though.

What sets my game apart will be the pure shock value and suspense I'm going to incorporate, we're going inside a serial killers head, so its going to be very dark, with alot of odd sounding music.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 10:54 Edited at: 30th Jul 2011 11:30
Quote: "Also this inst a zombie game per se, the real plot is similar to the movie the cell mixed with inception."
A Psychological Thriller? with Monsters? Sounds cool.

I've been researching for ways to achieve this myself. After reviewing several Mortal Kombat 9's X-Ray Attack vids, I've come up with an idea that could possibly use a Fracture system on creatures that consist of multiple mesh layers {exterior/muscle, bone, and organs} to achieve randomized GHOUL-like fragmentation for each layer. I call the process Frag-memberment, hehe.

I would prefer to Fracture the mesh layers in real-time on demand only effecting the area of impact. So to pull it off I would have to use every graphical optimization trick (geometry occlusion, geometry swaping/LOD, normal maps, shaders) in the book. I also have to take in consideration for modular/layer entity construction, animation, and physics (ragdolls).

I can easily visualize using CSG operations with more complex shapes to achieve Frag-memberment. CSG Boolean Union operation could be used to add shapes to mesh layers. This could be useful for Tumors, protruding shards, etc.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey sounds like you are on to something man, what do you think of my particle system now? I've done alot of work getting it optimized.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 04:56
Hi Dodga,

Unfortunately, I tried to run the demo, but, the screen is blank. I can hear sound though. May be its the full screen mode, my pc acts weird with full screen sometimes. I didn't see a configuration file to change the screen settings on launch.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, theres no config file yet, I'll upload a windowed version as well. Here you go.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
And by the way, do you know whether or not if you do a csg operation on a model with animations if the animations will still work properly? That's my dilemma with destructible flesh, like how do you maintain a solid look, yet basically the model is in pieces? Also collision is another biggie, unless you could find a way to do limb collision(I havent figured it out yet, I know gdk has limb collision built in), you'd basically need to have the body in several segments and then you could check when a collision happens based on the coordinates of the bullet vs the coordinates of each body part, wouldn't have to be perfect at all, just enough to add that extra flair.
For now I'm satisfied with the way my blood looks in game, I also pln to add another particle system built out of chunks of flesh looking things, so when you kill zombie their heads will explode.

Thats the huge benefit of my particle system, while darkgdk is limited to just images(and they still dont come out right, you have to ghost them which makes anything you want to look solid look see through), my particle system you can load anything you want into it, images, models, etc, and you have full control because they are actual 3d models.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 14:47 Edited at: 6th Aug 2011 18:09
Dogda,

Quote: "And by the way, do you know whether or not if you do a csg operation on a model with animations if the animations will still work properly?"

I suspect in order for animations to work you have to resize the bone and joint to match the severe point. Or let it hang and animate with rag doll physics.

Quote: "That's my dilemma with destructible flesh, like how do you maintain a solid look, yet basically the model is in pieces?"
The idea behind using CSG or some other carving method real-time is so that you can maintain a whole mesh. This may require modify animation weights etc. However, i'm considering using other techniques for constructing Zombie Monsters. It doesn't have to be only about destruction.

I'm also looking at construction methods for the undead. After reviewing this Zombie Chopper (WARNING: Graphically Disgusting) I've come up with an idea to construct a variety of non-humanoid undead Monstrosities from severed body parts of humans, animals, plants, machines. Lets call them Golems for short. Golems could mimic the shapes of Dragons, Giants, Insects, and other Monsters. They could also have powerful weapons and skills other than bite.

I would prefer pulling off the construction in real-time (in a animated manner) so players can see the parts assemble into monsters. I can visualize some sorta Zombie Resource Supply System taking shape here: Healthy Human --> Zombie --> Zombie Parts --> Golem --> Loot. The Golem System could supply game with plenty of strange monsters to destroy, besides just Zombies. After all, its an RPG, and I desire it to have many variations of monsters.

Quote: "Also collision is another biggie, unless you could find a way to do limb collision(I havent figured it out yet, I know gdk has limb collision built in), you'd basically need to have the body in several segments and then you could check when a collision happens based on the coordinates of the bullet vs the coordinates of each body part, wouldn't have to be perfect at all, just enough to add that extra flair."

I don't use DGDK, but, if limb collision doesn't work you'll need a custom solution. There are many ways one could go about this. You could possibly attach additional collision shapes to the skeleton or use some technique to scope-down and approximate collisions. I'm driving all collisions in my engine with BulletPhysics which also handles rag-dolls.

Quote: "Thats the huge benefit of my particle system, while darkgdk is limited to just images(and they still dont come out right, you have to ghost them which makes anything you want to look solid look see through), my particle system you can load anything you want into it, images, models, etc, and you have full control because they are actual 3d models."
Excellent. That's exactly what I'm doing my Particle system. What type of optimizations are you using (ie: LOD)? BTW. Thanks for new download. I successfully launched it. Very nice indeed.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is updated everyone, lots of new features, check it out and let me know how it is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:33:34