Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How does AGK Tier 2 stack up against the competition?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 23:57
I've seen several competing products for this same market space. So far GDK, SDL 1.3 and SFML 1.6 have been the ones that support C/C++ well enough for my usage. The remainder of my questions refer to Tier 2 usage.

The sign up sheet says that AppGameKit supports music and sound but don't specify the formats. Does it use encrypted file formats for music? I assume it uses streaming but does it use Ogg Vorbis or MP3? If it's the latter (MP3), have the necessary licensing options been covered?

I'm on a Mac right now but am working on a team with Windows users. Does the build process support CMake or any other cross-platform build scripts?

My team's game is written for a Commodore Amiga in C . We're looking to make it work on many other platforms including handhelds. What pitfalls should we expect (besides converting palette cycling into regular animation in truecolor)? Our game will run in approximately 64 megs of RAM after the graphics conversion.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 18:02
AGK supports MP3 and OGG, however I don't know if MP3 licensing is a concern. Might be best to stick to OGG - because it's not the same as with Windows - where we can claim that because DirectX is playing the MP3, we don't need a license for our applications.

As for competitors, well I don't think any of them are really valid competitors, not with the way AppGameKit will work - it's not like it's an engine for C++, it's more like a virtual platform that is translated to other platforms. You concentrate on making the game, and let AppGameKit worry about cross platform stuff.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
SamuraiCrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 20:57
Thanks for answering my questions.
SamuraiCrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 22:51
Order sent!
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 00:20
According to the documentation, AppGameKit only supports .mp3 files, not .ogg.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 04:32
Quote: "According to the documentation, AppGameKit only supports .mp3 files, not .ogg"

Bummer dude.
I hope that is a misprint or something.
I didn't read the sound section yet, but I will in the morning.
Thanks for the heads up Nickydude, but don't give them too much info from the docs yet. (make them pre-order)

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah... could someone clarify the ogg vorbis issue?

Why does blue text appear every time you are near?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 17:23
MP3 will work on all platforms except Meego.

Ogg Vorbis will run on Meego and Windows. It will not work on iOS. Need to check about other platforms.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 18:47
Hmm...might have to use irrKlang for sound instead.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 20:47
I was able to use WAV files in Asteroid Blast for whatever that's worth, and they played on an iPod Touch.

Not sure what that will do on other platforms though.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
ah, k. Well, it's not hard to convert the files, or use a native library. You've got my order

Why does blue text appear every time you are near?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 15:03:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 15:03:05