Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My first model.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 20:17
Thanks to some encouragement and tutoring from Anayar, Ive recently started to learn how to make my own models, using Milkshape 3D.

I hope to learn as much as I can, so that I can use some of my own models in my game, Seclusion.

Here is my very first model (apart from the model I made following Anayar's tutorial), a satellite communications dish, which will eventually be used in the first level of Seclusion;

I've still got to learn how to UV map and texture, so as soon as I have done so, I will post a picture of the finished model.

C&C are always welcome during my new journey into 3d model making!!

P.S. If verification is required that this is indeed my own work, Anayar will vouche for me, as he has seen the model during it's various stages of completion.

Ret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 01:13
nice job, not bad at all for your first model. Not sure what you plan on doing your texturing with but I'd like to recommend lith unwrap, and if you have the extra cash laying around Ultimate unwrap 3d (upgraded version on lith unwrap).
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice one man and well done on your first model.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude And Lee Bamber is my icon.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:17
Thanks for the comments

I'm not sure what I'll be using to UV map yet, but I'll definately bare lith unwrap in mind when I get rouind to it.

TBH, I feel like a bit of a cheat, as I simply used a load of primatives and put them together to make the model. Oh well, we've all got to start somewhere lol

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 21:43 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 21:44
Well... its a load of crap

Aww... I just realized i already tried that one on you on MSN lol Anyways, the models looks TERRIFIC. And yes, I will definitely vouch for you, though you didnt even need to say that as noone here is goign to accuse you of all people off piracy lol. Anyways, is this really youre FIRST model?? What happened to the radiator??

Also, if you want a sneak peak at the UV Mapping part of my tut. send me an email. I used UV Mapper Free for the tutorial Also, if you want any help getting that thing UV'ed let me know. i havent spoken to you in a WHILE lol

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 22:27 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 22:27
lol, you're right as usual Anayar! Here's a screenie of the radiator model I made. I forgot that it was actually the radiator I made 1st, then the sat dish.

I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, and that small detail slipped my mind!!

Anyway, here's a screenie of the radiator.

About the vouching for me, I only said that because usually people's 1st models are simple crates, or chairs/tables. Anything more complex as a 1st model usually attracts comments like; "are you sure this is your work, seems a bit complex for a 1st model etc etc".

Having said that, to give credit where credit's due, those types of comments are more prevailant in the FPSC boards, rather than in the 3D board. Am I the only one to have noticed this?

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 04:47
Quote: "rather than in the 3D board. Am I the only one to have noticed this?"

This has been the case for a while, simply because it attracts a younger audience on the whole, and they tend to not fully understand the whole "piracy" thing.

Good start, next time, look up ways to make the same model with only 1 primitive, this is the most useful thing you can learn, using a simple shape, and adding edges, loop, faces etc to create a more complex shape.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 03:13
@Asteric - Thanks for comment, yeah, I intend to learn as much as I can about 3d modelling, including hot to make more complex shapes myself.

Since the screenshot was taken of the sat dish model, I was able to customise the parabolic bowl primative of the dish, by moving the vertices of the outer edge of the rim., so that the rim was a bit thinner.

So, now that I've learnt how to move vertices, it shouldn't be too big a step to creat more complex shapes, using the vertices (hopefully anyway lol).

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 19:05
Quote: "Good start, next time, look up ways to make the same model with only 1 primitive, this is the most useful thing you can learn, using a simple shape, and adding edges, loop, faces etc to create a more complex shape."

for sure, however in some cases using multiple primitives can be both more simple and better

and for the record, I am a man.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 06:07
Quote: "for sure, however in some cases using multiple primitives can be both more simple and better"

Blasphemy!

Willow
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 16:39
bruce3371: Your doing a GREAT job and if I can help you with anything, just let me know okay. I use Milkshape 3D myself and love it.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 18:06
Thanks Willow, so are you

Milkshape's great isn't it?! So much easier to use than blender, and so much more capable than Wings 3D!

If I need any help, you'll be one of the first I turn to!

BTW I'm going to update my FPSC media thread to show the updates I've done to the models (including making them shader ready, which I tought myself to do!) since I made them FPSC ready.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 01:42
not bad.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 15:18
Quote: "Blasphemy!"

for example on a gun, the clip, the barrel maybe even the ironsight and such would be better of as individual primitives.

^^ both for animation reasons and for example: making the barrel from extrusion is highly unpractical in my opinion and therefore i always make it from a cylider

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "for sure, however in some cases using multiple primitives can be both more simple and better"

Blasphemy!
"

Lies! I have shy of 800 different meshes on my current project.

It just practical to use a different mesh instead of screwing your poly flow. It also means your not juggling your existing flow while trying to create a new part which can tie you down.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 15:59 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 16:00
Quote: "for sure, however in some cases using multiple primitives can be both more simple and better"

If it's purely primitive, then it's most likely not going to be better.

---
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 16:56
Quote: "If it's purely primitive, then it's most likely not going to be better."

hah xD true, objects, better? :3 meshes.. etc

johnrambo
Years of Service
User Offline
I am new joined this forum. Great post many useful information. I really like this forum.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 02:08 Edited at: 16th Sep 2011 02:15
[edit]Oops, posted in wrong thread [/edit]

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 03:12
Quote: "and so much more capable than Wings 3D!"

I really just have to say this is.. blasphemy! While milkshape has animating over wings 3d, for modeling wings 3d is easily more capable. When paired up with fragmotion, both free programs, milkshape doesn't look as good anymore.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 09:59
@ Design Runner. I have to agree. I use Wings 3D all the for my modeling. I use milkshape. as for fragmotion i might have to check that out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:55:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:55:09